Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Armaldo LA - Tank

kaworu

Armaldo LA

Armaldo seems to be a pretty good card:

http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=35727&c=190

Only takes damage of 70+ and can 2HKO nearly everything in the format. Also the fact that even if it is knocked out it's attacks effect still takes place as long as it's the same defending pokemon. Also has an amzing 140 HP and only a 2 retreat cost.

Unless Kingdra has a plus power or a bucks it cannot hurt Armaldo.

The downside is it's high ish energy cost. Also weakness to grass isnt great with all the Leafeon varients around.

But what can it be used with? Claydol is pretty much a must and maybe a starter, chatot/phione, pachi cannot fetch fossils sadly.

So does anyone have any ideas/decklists etc?

Last edited:
yeah armaldo is a tank. maybe play it with a quick groundon starter to get the energies on it then warp/let it die and maybe probobass to have a mega tank deck? could play some bubble coats to get rid of the leafeon problem.

Relicanth for a starter if it's mostly a fossil deck.

Stark Mountain + Regirock for energy acceleration.

Armaldo's attack puts an effect on the defending Pokemon (the +40 damage for the next attack) ... you can do a lot with that, like have Cradily use it's first attack for 70 ... and you have to be careful not to end said effect yourself by warp point or something if you need that extra damage.

Not totally related but Armaldo is one of the reasons I changed my Kingdra test deck to run 4 Buck's. It made a huge difference in the matchup.

So anyone have a semi list?

4 Chatot/Relicanth/Jirachi
4-2-4 Armaldo
2-2 Claydol
3 Regirock

3 Felicity's drawing (to discard the fighting energy)
3 Roseanne
4 Bebe
4 Excavator
Plus power/Bucks?
3 Rare Candy
4 Stark Mountain
1 Warp point
1 Switch

Fighting energy

I don't like the fact that relicanth can't search for baltoy, also that relicanth puts them in your hand and not on the bench, forcing you to wait longer if you dont have a candy.

Jirachi seems the play, gets fossils/roseanne/claydol/candy etc

2 Lunatone for discarding fighting energy for regirock?

Armaldo is great and i like the idea of playing it with Cradilly so you can do 70 for 1 and possibly get the drain effect, or perhaps with Kabutops to do 110 and possilby get the small spread along with the trainer lock.

Actually, it's incorrect that Kingdra can only hurt Armaldo through PlusPower or Buck's. Kingdra's first attack can one shot Armaldo late game.

Actually, it's incorrect that Kingdra can only hurt Armaldo through PlusPower or Buck's. Kingdra's first attack can one shot Armaldo late game.

Well that's obvious but I really don't think your gonna get 14 energy in the discard before you are brutally destroyed getting there.

You also have to be playing 14 water in order to have 14 in the discard, if one is prized what do you do? play 15? no. You get that OHKO then what? You lose because they have another Armaldo ready to start it all over again.

What's more typical in the Kingdra vs. Armaldo matchup is that Kingdra gets 20 on Armaldo as he's being built on the bench. Then Kingdra has a Bucks or Plus Power ... so they only need 11 energy in the discard for the KO. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable. I think that I rarely got more than one KO like that a game.

Yeah I dont think Armaldo has the support cards to become stupidly good. Buffer peace would be awesome, if he was delta and metal he'd be awesome. Oh well. Kingdra can and will typically just 2HKO him, Plus power than next turn PP or Buck. WIth Claydol Kingdra can find these fast, also, armaldo will set up VERY slow compared to kingdra.

Armaldo is faster and more consistent than Kingdra if you max out TS-01, Bebe's and Fossil Excavator and candy, and Armaldo.

Yeah I dont think Armaldo has the support cards to become stupidly good. Buffer peace would be awesome, if he was delta and metal he'd be awesome. Oh well. Kingdra can and will typically just 2HKO him, Plus power than next turn PP or Buck. WIth Claydol Kingdra can find these fast, also, armaldo will set up VERY slow compared to kingdra.

http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=31354

GG.

If kingdra attempts to run 6 pluspowers, then an unown or two will beat it.

Pokes: 14
2x Anorith
4x Armaldo
2x Baltoy
2x Claydol
4x Relicanth

Trainers: 28
4x Claw Fossil
4x Rare Candy
4x Buck's Training
4x Plus Power
4x Bebe's Search
4x Felicity's Drawing
4x Rowan

Energy: 18
18x Fighting

hmmm....

Last edited:
i like this deck, it could work out very well. i was thinking of playing it with omastar and areodactly. that would be a fun fossil deck.

Back