Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Armaldo Legends Awakened

AnimeDDR110

Armaldo LV.52 – Fighting – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Anorith

Poke-Body: Fossil Armor
If damage done to this Pokemon by an attack is 60 or less, this Pokemon takes no damage.

[F][F][C] Crush Claw: 60 damage. On your next turn, any damage done to the Defending Pokemon by attacks is increased by 40.

Weakness: Grass (+30)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

The first thing I noticed was HP. 140 HP is above average for a Stage 2 pokemon in this format. The next think I noticed was the retreat cost. 2 is alright for a stage 2, and then the weakness, which i wasn't surprised about.

Then I noticed the most broken thing about this card: The Poke-Body.
Any pokemon prevent damage to itself fully, no matter what pokemon is atatcking is, in my opinion, broken, but 60 just seems like to much.

The attack also has a nice affect. 60 damage for 3 energy is average, but all attacks done to the defending pokemon next turn are increased by 40. So, not just Armaldo, but any pokemon attacking him will do an extra 40 damage.

What do you think of this card?

Fossil Armor is nice for stalling, especially early in the game. But he really can't attack unless he wants to very likely incur damage next turn, which sucks to say the least. Yeah, it's nice to wall Gardy or something, but if you can't kill it successfully without taking damage, they'll just still shut down your Poke-Powers and power up a Gallade or something.

Superb, Simply Superb. I was thinking playing this guy with something big Fighting Wise, most likely Kabutops or Gallade. You use Crush Claw, Warp Point/Switch/Retreat if you have too. With Kabutops, that 110 damage plus any other modifiers you wanna throw on there, with Gallade, it prevents the flipping of another 2 prizes for a KO

Donphan SW anybody with some Unown Qs?

the problem is of course the attack. Gallade only does 50-60 late game. You attack they do 90-100. You're then brought down.

This is SO gona be one of the techs in my garch. Garch geting a plus 40 without plus power.... THAT'S GREAT!!! It's power is only a nice added bonus.

60 damage. On your next turn, any damage done to the Defending Pokemon by attacks is increased by 40.

Are you sure that's translated correctly? The way that reads, you'll do 40 more damage during your next turn to your opponent's Active Pokemon (some of the posts in this thread seem o indicate that it works during your opponent's next turn by attacks done to Armaldo).

If so, tha'd be bad. Who'd use something like that with lucario Lv.x around? I don't think it would give the opponent a damage boost unless it did more or cost less.

The main problem I see with this guy is his weakness. Leafeon is one of the best cards I have ever seen printed, and will most definatly see play next format.
If you can find away around your little weed problem, then Armaldo looks like he could be absolutely evil (though I will admit, I have not tested it yet, thus I cannot say for certain).

Are you sure that's translated correctly? The way that reads, you'll do 40 more damage during your next turn to your opponent's Active Pokemon (some of the posts in this thread seem o indicate that it works during your opponent's next turn by attacks done to Armaldo).

次の自分の番 at the start says during your next turn. Seems like the rest is pretty obvious if its an effect working during your turn (how does the opponent do more damage to Armaldo during your turn? seriously... <_<")

And the effect is definately placed on the defending pokemon. So Warp Point's a no go with Armaldo. Where were those people who couldn't understand how Switch can be superior to Warp Point...?
The only bad thing I see: The fossil basic sucks. And of course, Armaldo's dead weight until you find enough energy for Crush Claw. Seems like a worse Kabutops in some regards (damage potential is lower despite Crush Claw's ability, weaker fossil, not as swarmy of a stage 1, the trainer lock and protection from damage under 60... Seems like trainer lock is more powerful with blocking Warp Points and Rare Candies, though both are surpassable), and since Kabutops isn't doing so hot... :[

I wouldn't rely on that "increased damage". The opponent still can reatreat or use Switch/WarpPoint by himself. Body is nice but there aren't many decks that do less than 60 damage. Gardevoir will still be there but because of the DRE and Scramble rotating out not as superior as right now. And they still have PlusPowers and Gallade.

I like how this card beats probaly what is going to be the next archetype.
Don't see any "next archtypes" in DP-LA beaten by Kabutops, sorry.
Fairys can snipe to the bench or just do a God Blast.
Kingdra has no problem with the PokéBody.

I wouldn't rely on that "increased damage". The opponent still can reatreat or use Switch/WarpPoint by himself. Body is nice but there aren't many decks that do less than 60 damage. Gardevoir will still be there but because of the DRE and Scramble rotating out not as superior as right now. And they still have PlusPowers and Gallade.

Don't see any "next archtypes" in DP-LA beaten by Kabutops, sorry.
Fairys can snipe to the bench or just do a God Blast.
Kingdra has no problem with the PokéBody.

How does kingdra have no problem with the body. If you can get armaldo down quickly they can only attach with it's first attack and how can you consistently get at least 7 energy in the discard. It's second attack does nothing to armaldo and they can't snipe you benched armaldos. True they can play plus power and the supporter card that adds damage what ever it's called but it can't consistently do over 70 damage per turn. Your also one shotting mostof the farries with help. It beats spread. If you play SSU and get at least 2 heads per game your in good condistion because it they have spread you just SSU your supporting pokeon and they can't hurt you.

How does kingdra have no problem with the body. If you can get armaldo down quickly they can only attach with it's first attack and how can you consistently get at least 7 energy in the discard. It's second attack does nothing to armaldo and they can't snipe you benched armaldos. True they can play plus power and the supporter card that adds damage what ever it's called but it can't consistently do over 70 damage per turn. Your also one shotting mostof the farries with help. It beats spread. If you play SSU and get at least 2 heads per game your in good condistion because it they have spread you just SSU your supporting pokeon and they can't hurt you.
You'll get a lot of energy to the discard pile per turn, I think ~ 4-6 in average (Regice, Felicity, Kingdra's attack and maybe Alakzam). With a single PlusPower, you can attack with 70 damage, next turn shuffle 7 energy back to the deck with still ~ 2-3 remainng in the discard pile für the next attack. So you have a 3-turn-successful attack with only one PlusPower. Armaldo needs 3 energy to attack so they won't come again and again that often.

You'll get a lot of energy to the discard pile per turn, I think ~ 4-6 in average (Regice, Felicity, Kingdra's attack and maybe Alakzam). With a single PlusPower, you can attack with 70 damage, next turn shuffle 7 energy back to the deck with still ~ 2-3 remainng in the discard pile für the next attack. So you have a 3-turn-successful attack with only one PlusPower. Armaldo needs 3 energy to attack so they won't come again and again that often.

Alakazam won't work because most of the time armaldo won't be using powers. Is regice really worth the space because most of the time you opponent won't have an unevolve poekon up is it's a bad start just so you can discard 2 cards a turn.

Alakazam won't work because most of the time armaldo won't be using powers. Is regice really worth the space because most of the time you opponent won't have an unevolve poekon up is it's a bad start just so you can discard 2 cards a turn.
Isn't it what you want to have in a Kingdra deck, discard 2 cards a turn? Would even work pretty well with Claydol to make it draw more cards.

btw what is Kingdra going to do against Mr. Mime without Regice in the deck? ;)

People play Mr. Mime? And they can just charge one Kingdra with more energy while Mr. Mime does jack to the one Kingdra he's stalling.
As for Armaldo, Buck's and Pluspowers make for a relentless assault coming from the dragon. It won't be too easy, but Armaldo can be beaten. Plus, Kingdra tends to outspeed.
Armaldo is grand against Dragonite or Lanturn spread decks btw.

Then I noticed the most broken thing about this card: The Poke-Body.
Any pokemon prevent damage to itself fully, no matter what pokemon is atatcking is, in my opinion, broken, but 60 just seems like to much.
This thing will definitely be one of the big decks next format.
Hope they reprint Cess Crystal or give us some card that allows us to ignore Poké-Bodies. More "Swift"-like attacks that ignore effects on the defending Pokémon would also help.

The attack also has a nice affect.
"affect" is a verb, not a noun.:smile:

Back