Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ARMondak's Nats Report

ARMondak

I get down there on Friday, meet up with the Ohio players, get my deck together, etc. I decided to go with Ludi because I felt that it stood well vs LBS and it was consistent.

Saturday I meet virtually everyone I talked to online, and most of you were pretty cool.

Anyways, onto the tournament. I have a horrible memory on these things, so the detail isn't great.

Rd 1 - Umbreon EX/Metagross DX/Scizor EX
Not too difficult, got going early and pretty much cleaned house

1-0

Rd 2 - Zappy EX (this is still around?)
Not the matchup I wanted to see. He flips over like 10 cards of his deck on accident and only gets a warning. It would've been a lot easier had he not flipped 4/4 heads on Super Scoop Up and 3/4 on ER2.

1-1

Rd 3 - Eric P w/Lunarock
He had t8ed at Worlds last year w/Healix, so I was a bit concerned. I had a less-than ideal start, but Ludi pretty much destroys his Lunatones.

2-1

Rd 4 - Queen

He had a pretty bad start, but he was a very good player. He basically outplayed me from turn 4 or 5 on, but his setup was too much for him to overcome

3-1

Rd 5 - Rich Olsen w/Sharpedo
I didn't exactly want to play another Ohioan :(, and I didn't know the matchup. He got out to an early lead, but Rhydon was such a godsend against the Mews and company. I ended up killing a Mew with about a minute left, and he couldnt take a prize. GG Rich

4-1

This is where it started going downhill.

Rd 6 - Jim Malec w/Queen
I have an ideal start - Jirachi and Lotad, 2 Transcievers, a Frontier, and I WS for a Candy. He gets a Turn 1 Pidgeot, Admins, gets a T1 Queen, Toxics my Jirachi, and I don't get anything else to salvage a game.

4-2

Rd 7 - Kettler w/Marowak and Raichu d
I get the typical Ludi start and take a few prizes. He ATM Rocks me at the midpoint of the game - and here's where I feel my only misplay up to this point is - I have to discard 3 DRE. He makes a comeback and takes the last prize as time was called. GG

4-3

Rd 8 - LBS
I don't remember her SN on the gym, but I remember she said something about a Teddiursa. She never really gets set up after I rock her candied Blasty and Pidgeot.

5-3

Rd 9 - SuperWooper w/LBS
This was a very close game, but at the same time very casual. It was a great way to end a big tournament like this.

5-4

The next day I decide to play in the Modified side event, again with Ludi.

Rd 1 - SuperWooper w/LBS
I have to play him AGAIN?!?!? Anyways, we have a very close game again, but I can't multiple Ludis running and he wins on time. Props to him for speeding up his play at the end and not trying to stall me.

0-1

Rd 2 - Some weird Mynx thing with Zappy and Jolteon EX
He gets an early Zappy and takes 3 prizes. Once I finally get a Rhydon going, I take out his Zappy and Jolteon, and he didn't have anything behind that.

1-1

Rd 3 - Mikey w/Dragonite d and Gyrados d
At the beginning, I'm not exactly sure how to take this down, but I'm lucky enough to stick a Frontier. He loaded a Dragonite early and took a couple prizes early. Once I ko'ed that, he ran into an energy drought and as time is called I ATM rock for the win.

2-1

Rd 4 - Flygon EX
Again, I stick an early Frontier and get a Ludi going. He plays a boost on Flygon EX to ko a Ludi, but at that point it was too late.

3-1

The tournament was supposed to go 6 rounds, but they're short on time, so they decided to give 18 packs to the 4-0s and 9 packs to the 3-1s. I pull a Mew EX (my first HP ex in over 50 packs) and leave around 5 pm.

Props:
Deloye for helping my deck run much smoother
Everyone I met there
Martin winning nats

Slops:
My deck going cold on me round 6

GJ, sorry you didn't make the cut either. It was great meeting you at nats.

You were definitly one of the cooler people I met. Maybe at worlds we can kick it, have some pop and talk cards eh!?

Back