Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ARMondak's Nats Report

ARMondak

I get there about 9:30 Friday, meet up with the rest of Team R and sign up for the Modified side event. Went 5-2, 19th with Ape, trying to figure out if it was a good play for Nats. Zach Fisher goes 7-0 with Banette, and I figure a lot of people will try to counter that more instead of focusing on Ape (which looking at my matches seemed to be right). After the side event we went out to Max and Erma's (party of 11 + Fulop and Craig FTW). That was a blast, except that our service wasn't very good.

So on to the tournament. 418 people in Masters, with 9 rounds of swiss.

Round 1: Guy from Vegas w/FlyCatty

I started out okay, but got a couple of Catties going and Ape ran through his pokemon. I don't think he got a Flygon ex up and running.

1-0

Round 2: Heather Lynch w/Rgon

She had the typical Rgon start, with Mentor and Delta Drawing. However, I had the best non-t1 ape hand, with a Chimchar start, celio, catty, skitty, energy, and a couple pluspowers. I get a couple lucky heads on Fury Swipes with a pluspower vs her 2nd castform and just run through her setup after that, although she kills an Ape w/Mew*.

2-0

Round 3: Guy from Georgia w/Rhyperior

Wow this was close. I get a somewhat slow start, but so does he. I do some damage to his Rhyperiors do force him to waste SSUs, and he blows through a lot of rare candies early. It comes down to the last prize and he can't KO my ape. GG

3-0

Round 4: Matt Alvis w/Shiftry

I basically get an amazing start, with 2 Catties T2. He gets a Shiftry or two up, but I had too much momentum for him to come back.

4-0

Round 5: Matt Ennocenti w/Lucario/Eeveelutions

After a deck check, we get started. I have to candy to Catty t1 to try and get something going. I'm about a turn away from fully being ready to go when he Vaps me. I end up scooping when he has 2 prizes left. Although I didn't take a prize all game, it wasn't a total blowout.

4-1

Round 6: Zach Fisher w/Ape

Ugh... another Team R guy... in a mirror match. I end up getting the nuts vs him and do a t1 80. Sorry Zach :frown:

5-1

Round 7: Chris Fulop w/Speed Spread

He t3s me. Congrats on winning Nats Chris - you'll rep us well at worlds.

5-2

Round 8: Guy with Shiftry

I still have sour grapes over this one. I have a terrible start, with Skitty, 2 Mentors, and 2 Transceivers going first. He flips over.... Nosepass?!?!? I end up outplaying the heck out of the guy, coming down to needing to knock out his Shiftry ex to take my final 2 prizes, but I can't get it done as I'd just used Flare Up the previous turn. He attaches a Dark energy from his hand to knock out my Ape X. Out of the 4 Shiftries I played over the weekend (faced Kant Shen in the Friday side event), this is the only one I lost to, and felt that this was the one I definitely should've beaten out of the 4.

5-3

After this I'm feeling kind of disappointed becasue I started so well and had been playing great, but bad hands had kind of screwed me over.

Round 9: Guy from Nebraska w/Shiftry

If I'd gone 2nd, I had the t1 kill. However, I still had the aggro start and ran through his pokemon.

6-3

Checked the standings, I'm 47th. Not too bad.

Sunday I "play" in the side event, going 0-2 drop because after I signed up I realized I wanted to watch the top cut. Later in the afternoon I play in an 8-man tournament, beating out JohnnyBlaze w/Flariados to win.

Props:
Team R
Kant
People that I talk to online that I met IRL there
Fulop for winning Nats
I probably forgot someone/something
Nats staff. It went quite smoothly and you DIDN'T DO PODS :thumb:

Slops:
Nosepass
Our waiter from Max and Erma's
Smelly people. Seriously, you spend hundreds of dollars and hours on games and cant pay 2.99 for deoderant and take 10 minutes for a shower.

Back