Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ATJdragon's 3rd Place Vancouver Battle Road Report

ATJdragon

Battle Road Vancouver 6/18/2012

Pre-tournament: I haven't played much this season so I decided to play this one since I was free for the day. I got 5th at a previous battle road with Eel and I was not happy with how I lost so I decided to switch it up. Some period of time before this battle road I decided to run my buddy's Vanilluxe deck (Sebastian Crema) since Vileplume is just too ridiculous this format. I updated the list from what he used at regionals and went to this tournament.

Round 1: Tyler's Empoleon/Terrakion/Aerodactyl

I manage to get a turn 2 Vileplume and attackers ready quickly without Twins. He only runs 1 Prinplup so he only had a couple attackers throughout the game so I the game was pretty one-sided.

1-0.

Round 2: Chen's Lugia Legend/Terrakion

Turn 1 I open oddish and a bunch of pokemon and sage. I use sage and had communication, victini, water, and 2 other cards. i grab communication and water so I could retreat the oddish for the pichu ill search for and get going. Unfortunately, my other victini was prized @.@. Neither of us took prizes for a long time until he eventually started using tail rap with his Smeargle while i tried to dig for my Flower Shop Lady. Eventually i do get it and proceed to win as he doesn't have enough attackers in his deck with trainer lock up.

2-0.

Round 3: Charlie's Durant

Despite it being a favorable matchup, he was 2/2 with crushing hammer and milled alot of my energy so I was unable to attack with Vanilluxe until I had 8 cards left in deck =\.

2-1.

Round 4: Max's Darkrai/Tornadus

I get turn 3 Vileplume with Twins and proceed to play a standard game vs EX's. I rolled one quad tails, it was inconsequential.

3-1.

Round 5: Cor's Vanilluxe/Vileplume/Victini

This was a pretty stupid game. I manage to take the first prize with vanilluxe and I also was first to get the Slippery Soles Vanilluxe in play. I managed to take a 1 prize lead then he played Pokemon Center. Once he get his Slippery Soles in play, I used Virizion to take hits since its resistant to water using Pokemon Center to heal. After a long while of dice-rolling from both sides, I finally take a 2nd prize and get my Bellossom. That clinches the game for me as Bellossom is also resistant to water and heals. I won in time 4-0 I believe

4-1.

Round 6: Joseph's Darkrai/Terrakion

I opened 2 Pichu and had to play both so I wouldnt get donk'd. He goes first and gets his darkrai most of the way setup. I then use playground. Next turn, he catchers a Vanillite and KO's my vanillite and a Pichu. I twins for Vileplume and Bellossom and candy my oddishes into both. I give up 2 more prizes (smeargle + something else) before I am able to start attacking. I manage to kill a darkrai and a terrakion with my first vanilluxe. i then retreat for a fresh vanilluxe to kill the 2nd darkrai. he then pushes up mewtwo to ko my vanilluxe leaving the prizes 5-4 in his favor. I then use my damaged vanilluxe and proceed to not roll quad tails for the win.

5-1. =)

3rd seed in top cut.

1: This game is really long, Ricky refuses to take a prize cause he doesnt want my twins to be live. I do manually make a Vileplume and I actually have to start attacking with my smeargle on his smeargle so my Vanilluxe (I only had 1 vanilluxe in play with my bench clogged with smeargle and such) isn't exposed to his mewtwo next turn. I eventually win.
2: I giveup 3 early prizes and in a key turn while i was rebuilding my other vanilluxe...I roll quad tails so I miss a turn of attacking which is another prize for him which is the game.
3: I lose 1-0 in time since i dont take early prizes lol.

5-2. 3rd place

Not bad, I only had played 2 games with this deck prior to using it this tournament. I was disappointed I lost to Durant but overall i thought i played reasonably well and there wasn't anything i could do in my top cut match.

No list, don't ask.

Props:
-Bidier
-Bidier for lending me cards
-Sebastian Crema for the list/suggestions/reassurance
-First Victory Cup card
_My Fans
-Miami Heat for winning tonight

Slops:
-Others saying this is Kyle's (Pooka) deck when its Sebastian's
-Not getting 1st =(

well....yeah. theres only a 23% chance of going 20/20 for rolls. youre bound to miss, theres just a few turns where you cant afford it

Back