Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Attention UK players!

pokemandan

We are interested in possibly starting up a new league in Northamptonshire, UK. To be precise Wellingborough Town. Mainly due to the reason that the nearest Pokemon TCG/VG League is at least 50 miles away. UK Nationals are in Northamptonshire so why isn't there a League? :)

However, before proceeding with selecting a venue and contacting the Pokemon Company to set up the league, we just wanted to first do some research on the amount of potential interest and players interested.

The league will most likely be run on a weekday afternoon or early evening. The possible location that we are considering will be Wellingborough Library and this is located in the town centre and is therefore very close to free parking, stores and food places.

We would welcome any players of any standard or age, so if there is any interest please comment and reply so we can determine whether or not the idea is worth going ahead with.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know of many players there, but you should have enough intrest from casual players if you advertised the league well. I'm always meeting people who play Pokemon and have no idea about Organised Play, so I think you should definately have the potential player base there.

Thanks for your advice. It's just that we're trying to get a rough number so we can go ahead with setting it up.

UK Nationals was held in Northamptonshire this year and will be held there next year too, so it makes sense to have a league there too! :D

Well I go to the University of Northampton, so it might be possible for me to get there if there's a bus service or something...

Haha no way. Me and my girlfriend start there in a few weeks doing our first year! :O
What course are you doing, just out of interest? :)

Yeah there is a bus service from Northampton town center bus station which goes straight to Wellingborough Town Center. I believe you can get a free bus from the university to the bus station?

We were also thinking about advertising at the uni to see if there was other players there and possibly running a club or society :D

well i would be very willing to participate, but i will be leaving for uni on the 26th and im going to UEA (Norwich)

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!

It's a brilliant idea, and it'll be a very nice change from going all the way to london or birmingham or some ridiculously far place.

---------- Post added 09/01/2010 at 10:46 AM ----------

*One of my friends doesn't have a pokegym account but will gladly support the idea of a wellingborough league too*

Thanks :D Congrats on getting into uni Nathan, we're going Northampton so we'll still be local.
You'd still be welcome to come to the league when you're not in Norwich though.

@Hippowdon Savesand: Thanks for the support :) By any chance did you take a Hippowdon deck to Nats? Because if you did I played you :D (Its Jemma, I was playing Feraligatr/Lanturn like a noob)

Hey you beat me ;) Although I remember it being quite close. Well my new deck is a lot less 'noobish' now :D

Also, just to add; we are going location hunting this Friday for the league, so fingers crossed we may be able to confirm some more details soon as it looks like it will be going ahead.

Oh, new deck? I liked the rogue Hippowdon :p

Just to let you know guys; we're waiting for confirmation from the library who's speaking to the area library manager about the league. It looks like it will be going ahead as they run all sorts of other hobby leagues like chess etc. and the location is really ideal.

More updates posted soon and spread the word :)

If we ran a tournament then possibly, but it would have to come out of our own pocket obviously unless we set a small charge for players.

There are always league promos and all the stuff we get given. Maybe some random prizes here and there throughout the season like Pokemon merch, selected cards etc.

We are interested in running small tourneys when we get enough players attending league and we'll try our best to make sure there are good prizes :)

Hope this helps

I run a pokemon League in sutton also in a libary you need to CRB checked if not ask the liabry about also as for booster prizes its not a tournament. my addvise is also to make some form of newsletter or some thing like that also if there are local schools near by ask if the libary could send posters to them wtich will help ya addvtise also put one in the libary to if ya want any more help drop me a PM

Yeah that should not be a problem :) We are aware that its not a tournament, we would just run the occasional unsanctioned one for prizes if that's what players wanted.

Advertising in local schools is a good idea and one I havn't thought of, thanks.

Also thanks for the help and support. It's nice of you to offer and I'm sure we'll take you up on it and PM you sometime for advice.

Oh cool, it seems to be fairly straight forward and really looking forward to getting it running.

How unusual, considering juniors is always the smallest age group in tournaments and competitive play? Obviously it's a lot different from league so they must enjoy just playing casually.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Our league will be joint run by two 18 year old university students, so I'm hoping we'll be taken seriously :)
I've heard of someone as young as 16 running a league, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter..

Back