Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Austin's Top 8 World Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatious

I got my trip to worlds last year in 11-14 by getting top 4 in 11-14 worlds. I played in a few events all year and it was awsome not having pressure to get a trip in playing tournaments. This year, I moved up an age group, and was extremely nervous upon entering the event. I figured I'd go 0-X or something similar. Last year, nearly every game, you either won, or you lost. The winner was decided based on decks and the opening hand. This year, in 15+, every game was a challenge and took a lot of effort to pull through.

Round 1
R-Gon vs Raieggs varient
My opening hand consisted of only one basic, that basic being a Holon's Magnemite. I thought I'd lose horribly, but, I drew perfectly after that, and won 6-0 due to OHKO's with Flygon EX D.
1-0

Round 2
R-Gon vs Absolutions
I started with T2 Flygon D, and took 4 easy prizes. My opponent played very well, and managed to come back, pulling 5 prizes in a row. My turn, he has 3 damage on a Mew EX, and all I have is a Trapinch with an energy. My hand includes a Flygon D and a Castfrom. At this point, I needed to top deck;
Holon Transceiver
Holon Researcher
Vibrava D
Rare Candy
I drew the Vibrava, evolved, attached, and did 60 FTW. Very close game.
2-0

Round 3
R-Gon vs Lucarilutions
This was my donk game, and drew 2 energy all game.. He inevitably won.
2-1

Lunch break, so I get some Pizza with my dad and chow down... I go back to the convention hall and asked Jeff for a few games vs Banette, I had a gutr feeling I would be playing against one round 4. I won the games, but he didn't exactly get decent hands =/.
At this time, I look over at the Masters section and notice that everyone has already seated and began playing. My heart stopped. I thought I would be given a game loss, so I ran over to the tournament area, and did not resceive a game loss, merely a warning not to do it again. Awsome.

Round 4
R-zgon vs Banlutions
I totally called it. I played Banette afterall. Mid game, we both were relying on topdecking, having played nearly every card we came across. It didn't help that every time I got close to killing something, he retreated and attacked withsomething else. I draw the energy I need, and I either attach to Rayquaza, KO his benched Vaporeon with 7 counters on it, and try to stall for the Ko of his Umbreon with 5 counters on it, so that I could add two hand cards and work from there, OR, I could attack to Exeggutor and split bomb twice for game, problem being, if he figured a way to KO this Exeggutor, I lose at the spot. It was a risk either way, and went for the Exeggutor, and won a turn later.
3-1

Round 5
I had a random deck, took 14 minutes for two decks, I'm like what the heck @_@?
R-Gon vs Empoleon
My most iffey matchup- save Absolutions. I had a great hand, and I admittedly played very slopily, he took 5 prizes off of me, me gettin a god hand and him getting "meh". I found it amusing, my opponent must have forgot that Flygon had 110 HP, because he attacked with Empoleon's Aqua Whatever with my Flygon having 3 counters on it, and a benched Casty haveing 4 counters on it. He rolled the dice for Emp's attack, and almost screamed in joy as it became heads, thus KOing my Casty. He misread my Flygons HP though, and lost next turn.
4-1

Round 6
R-Gon vs Flygon EX LM
he got crap, I turen 3 Flygon EX. he doesn't take a prize.
5-1

I was completely siked about making top 16, or rather, top 8, placing 5th in the swiss, even though this was my first year in 15+. I go hang out with Jeff (Moza), Spencer (Lakak), Keaton (SpoinkMaster), Richard (Psyco..whatever the numbers are), and Cameron (Hitmochan). We skrew around the whole time, and called some guy that said I would lose top 16 to Ross... I got a little offended, not that Ross wasn't a good player, just, IDK... It just did.

The next morning I woke up extremely early and headed for the convention hall. I was the first one there... So I just sat in a comfy chair thinking about the mirror match that awaited me in top 16. When they called my name I was like @_@, but it was just some sort of sleeve prob, so I bought new sleeves and was all set.

Top 16
R-Gon vs R-Gon
Game 1
Perfect game, I threw my candies left and right, tossing down 3 energies a turn, and dealing 80to every chumper he sent up... That was my deck, as a work or art.
Game 2
A good hand on my part, not nearly as good as last games, but regardless, he was down to chumping late game, he just wasn't drawing the things he needed.
6-1

I was very excited about my win, and everyone, including people I had NEVER seen before in my life had asked me how I was doing, it seemed as if a lot of people were rooting for me, as I was the only American in top 8. This added a lot of pressure, but it's also something to brag about, being the best American at worlds 2007. Anyway, I figured if i drew my cards right I could take top4.

Top 8
R-Gon vs Absolutions
Game 1
Drawing wasn't a problem, I had a broken hand actually. I was planning on candying three times to Flygon D, Flygon D, and Flygon EX D, tossing three energy on Flygon EX D, and suprise KO FTW. There was one little thing I left out of this plan. Vaporeon EX. I felt helpless, lost. As if hope had left me on account of my terrible misplay.... I lost
Game 2
Ray start. He chewed that dragon up as if it were a stick of liqorish. He won that game vs my terrible hand...
He derseved to win though, he played flawlessly, and his deck was amazing.
6-2

So I finish top 8, which is awsome for this being my first year in 15+. I hung out with the same cround as I did the day before and it was cool. I'm satisfied with top 8, even though I let down a lot of people.

Props:
Moza for helping out with my deck, I couldn't have done it without him.
My mom for Grinding in with my "terrible Ape list".
Getting top 4, then top 8 in a higher age division.
Everyone that had faith in me, even though some of you creeped me out, it was all good.
The Amazingly huge hotel.

Cons:
Rayquaza EX D.
America didn't even top 4.

You didn't let anyone down! You did a great job! I'm happy for your mom too and very glad that you two didn't have to play each other. Go Ohio! And the boys think it is awesome that you played using some cards borrowed from us so at least their cards played Worlds. :biggrin:

wheres my props? =P

GJ, better than my 1-4 drop w/ Kindgra swarm...wow, I just summed up my tourney report....

Dude great job man hopefully BLAM will have a lot more members going next year and job representing USA and OHIO.

Team BLAM! Team BLAM! Gj, man and way to represent both the USA, and more importantly, Team BLAM! Moza's room is always good luck. I playtested in Moza's room the night before nats this year and I ended up going 8-1 (lost in T16). Hopefully I'll be seeing you at some upcoming tourneys-you should come up to Michigan, since you now need the trip and all...

I plan on going to as many MI tournies as I can talk my mom into, most likely states and regionals. I'm going to worlds this year regardless of an invite, because Florida is awsome and I may be able to grind in.

My mom did really well for herself, 3-3, her record, was the same of last years world champ. She also managed to get in period, which most people did not do. She got 6th in the grinder with my, and I quote "terrible ape list". XP

Austin - Great job in your 1st ever 15+ Worlds. That is quite an accomplishment. And it was great that your mom made it in too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back