Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Australian Nats Report 08 - 1st Place with Plox.

FriedBlaziken

Hi guys. I won Australian Nationals with Plox. Prior to Nationals, I have not touched my deck at all since states. This is what Yugioh does to you kids. I was planning on playing Blaziken/Magmortar, but chickened out last minute to play the deck everyone else was playing, Plox with Furret and Dusknoir. My Plox was different, running only 1-1 Claydol compared to the others 2-2, which gave me more room for useful techs such as Lake Boundary, which helps greatly against mirror, and more cyclone/warps. Heres my list:

Pokemon: 23

4 Ralts SW
2 Kirlia
3 Gardevoir
2 Gallade
1 Gardevoir LvX
4 Sentret
2 Furret
1 Baltoy
1 Claydol
1 Duskull
1 Dusknoir
1 Tauros

Trainers: 22

4 Celio's Network
4 Rare Candy
2 Steven's Advice
3 Team Galactics Wager
2 Roseannes Research
2 Warp Point
1 Lake Boundary
1 Strength Charm
2 Night Maintenance
1 Windstorm

Energy: 15

4 Double Rainbow
3 Scramble
5 Psychic
2 Cyclone
1 Fighting

Reasoning behind the 1 Windstorm and 1 Boundary was to counter the many random decks I expected with multiple copies of Crystal Beach and Cessation Crystal. Boundary was also for the Plox Mirror.
Strength Charm for the Gardy Plox 1HKO, and the rest are self explanatory.

On to the rounds, before I start though, yes, we did have best two out of three 45 minute rounds.
Seniors is 23 players, 5 rounds, T4 cut.

Round 1 - Tung N w/ Modified Electivire Theme Deck

Do I need to say more? Games 1 and 2, I used single Gallade to go through Pokemon.
He goes to my school and I helped him in modifying his deck.
Good job.

1-0

Round 2 - Aidan C w/ Magkiss

I knew how to play around Magkiss. He got unlucky with his Togekisses, and using keen eye to setup multiple Gallades and Gardevoirs ftw. Dusknoir also blew back his 5 energy Magmortar on the bench.
Game 2 was almost a repeat, only a Gallade swept through all his basics T3.
Good game, and its good to see Melbourne players doing well.

2-0

During lunchtime, I eat some KFC, play some Yugioh for lulz.

Round 3 - Shaun M w/ Flygon ex d + Blaziken

Shaun is part of the Brisbane group, and is using some random Flygon ex d deck, to counter plox and Banette. Game 1 was pretty bad. I start with Duskull, which is officially the new Spearow. He goes first and uses singe to burn me. I flip tails. I attach and disable peck and fail. He pecks and I flip tails GG.
Game 2 was much better, I got the Plox going, and carefully Sonic Bladed his Flygon ex d's and Brough them down later on for the game. With 10 minutes left, I needed to play quick. He got t3 Blaziken while i got like t5 Gardy and Claydol. I lost 3-4 prizes on time, however had the match gone on for longer, I would have won.

2-1

Round 4 - David S w/ Raikou + Mantine + Latios + Sableye

Ok so the main purpose of the deck is to use Raikou to get all energys to Latios, and hit for 120. Latios needs 3 prizes to OHKO, so I had to use some Plox. He played like 4 Crystal Beach, which was a real bugger, and about 2 Cess Crystals. I got out a fast Gallade game 1 for some KOs, and Game 2 it was all about Gardy and Plox. Niceeeee. Revenge for last year nats when he totally donked me...

3-1

Round 5 - Peter G w/ Banette

I thought this would be an autoloss. Game 1 I started with Duskull, and I could not believe it.... However I topdecked the cards of all good cards, roseanne. This allowed me to rare candy baltoy in claydol, candy ralts into gardy, and all this other crazy stuff. I got Furret out t2 and no matter what he did, I would have had game. Game 2, was pretty tough, he was up 3 prizes before I started coming back. He made a misplay playing that extra bench, which allowed me to cyclone and dark palm it back. with around 3-3 prizes left, I used Dusknoir and started sweeping through his pokemon. Dusknoir is soooo good versus Bannette, much better than Blastoise.

4-1

So I made top cut at 4th seed, up against last years champion Sam H. He's using Plox, and I have had no practice against mirrors, I've only read reports.

Semi Final - Sam H w/ Plox + Dusknoir

Game 1 was terrible, he started with Baltoy, me with Ralts. I cant do anything but evolve into Kirlia. He psychic balances gets a claydol, and I pretty much scoop after that. Game 2 was much much better. I came back very well. He got a much better start and I couldn't do much. Then I topdecked Wager, Played it and lost, but topdecked Gardy Scramble and Candy. Plox ftw for a few turns, and with abouth 20 wagers being used and me winning 60% of them, I managed to pull the win, as he had 1 Prize left, and couldnt OHKO my Dusknoir. Game 3 with 10 mins left. I open godly, I attach cyclone candy to Gardy and pass. After a few turns, I Plox his Gardy and take a prize. 1 Minute left. He Psychic Cuts Gardy. Time is called on his turn. Its equal on prizes, but I have game. Attach DRE to Gallade and psychic cut ftw. I pull an epic comeback to move on to finals against Krucifier's Plox + Blastoise

5-1

Ok so i know Blastoise is going to be a pest, but lets see how it goes.

Game 1 I open nicely with sentret. I cyclone to stuff up his setup and get claydol and gardy setup. I plox his squirtle, so no more worries for me. He has a major disadvantage playing with only 3 bench, compared to my full one. We exchange ploxes, but 1 turn he forgot to telepass, which was one major misplay. So its down to 1-2 prizes his favour, and same as the game against Sam, he can't OHKO my Dusknoir, which does 100 per turn and sweeps. Game 2 I open poorly. He goes 3 prizes up, but I pull 2 back with plox. He is now left stranded with gallade with 2 energy on the board, claydol, blastiose and furret. He has been ploxed. with 3 cards in hand after wager, he is relying on topdecked energys. He doesnt pull one, which allows my gardy to plox him slowly to death. After that I pretty much win as he has no way to setup a gardy or gallade. Good game Jared.

6-1 and I'm going to worlds. AND AT LONG LAST I GET AN INVITE.
yessss.

After the game I go play some MD prereleases. I manage to get 5 MD sleeves, 4 prerelease cards, but unfortunately no Level Xs. I will be trading my 2 GE boxes for 2 MD ones, so I dont really care.

Congrats to Sean for winning Masters and Jayson for winning Juniors 4th time in a row.
Boo Andrew 3rd in the world to 3rd at nats wth....

Props and Slops later k.

Aaron, you shouldn't have won. You're so bad. KIDDING! :D

Good job. Cya at worlds, so you can hear my poor English! ;p

Last edited:
Nice work Aaron... but why did you chicken out and join a crowd! I am going to have give you lessons, Ill have you played 30+ energy decks yet... (That's how many David's Raikou deck was running lol) .

In all seriousness though you've been consistant all year, a fitting end to a good year for you :).

Im very serious :), how do you think Raikou thunder climbs for 3 so often? He uses supporters like scott/mentor to thin, and then he has only energy and has all his pokemon out and uses thunder climb to pump Lati and sweep. Since nats is over I can tell you his dark evil plan that didn't quite work.

I can't take credit for it, its his idea and next year if there is no dre for G&G means that deck becomes even better :p. Nothing against you in the least but I'd honestly like to see how good you are without G&G :).

Yeah I'm pretty good even without GandG.
At worlds Plox wouldnt be an option, probably play a Malaysian or Australian SD

I know you're good without G&G, but how good? You played it at every tournie this year. Play rogue at worlds... you know you want to :D.

That's gunna be my way of 'inspiring' any Aussie who goes to worlds...

A random rogue that Aaron used for Malaysian cities, which is used at Nats by Cremen and did alright - Mismagius/Lucario

He played blisscario at MY cities. Yes, MALAYSIA ( a country )'s cities. Guess our LD didn't learn his geography. :lol:

Well if no one in Asia Pacific MA hits 1800, I will still be the only one to break it from last year. I was on like 1829. The person below me was 1760 IIRC. Either way, I rock :p

Back