Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Azul's Top 4 SoCal Regionals Report!

A z u l

Okay, so after my break from Pokemon and doing all the sports. I was able to attend to the Queen Mary Long Beach Regionals. I have got a deck idea from one of my friends, he said Gyarados/Luxray, I actually thought that was a really good idea. So 2 weeks before the tournament, I was just focused on 1 deck, and that was Gyarados/Luxray. I made a lucky charm which was a printed picture of Nel from Bleach. Long story. So I get a ride from my friend to Regionals, he also hives my classmate a ride and built him Jumpluff. Stevo0235 and Marheaven5587 used my deck and WailmerMan in NoCal got the idea from my Gyarados list basically.

I get there, 63 seniors, uhhhh, 1 more senior and Top 16 Cut, oh my... Only top 8 with 6 rounds. I never thought I could make it in. The tournament started, then I play against the least person Round 1, Stevo0235 with my deck...

Here's my version of the list,

Here it is,

pokemon
4-4 Gyarados
4 Sableye
1-1 Luxray GL
1 Combee
1-1 Claydol
1 Uxie
1 Azelf
2 Crobat G
1 Regice
1 Unown Q
1 Ditto

supporters/trainer/stadium
3 bebe search
1 Cynthia's Feelings (for Giratina + KO)
1 rosie
3 collecter
4 felicity
2 expert belt
1 luxury ball
4 poke turn
4 Super Scoop Up
3 pokemon rescue (I'm currently testing 1 tsd, but i might take that out)
3 bts

energies
2 Warp Energy
1 Electric Energy
1 Psychic Energy
2 Call Energy

Round 1: Norman B. v/s Stephen Marrone 0-1
Horrible start, but I came back with it. He gets a T3 Gyarados, he gets the fast kills, I misplay a couple times. When I needed to scoop something up twice, I played 4 SSU, 1 heads... Oh my... wow.

Lunch Break: I don't eat or do anything I just hung out with some friends.

Round 2: Norman B. v/s ??? (Speedrill) 1-1
Oh my, T2 Gyarados, we were trading prize cards fast from our good set up, he fails a lot of coin flips and it came down to 1-1 prizes. He had a new Beedrill GE with an Expert Belt, I had a Gyarados that could only do 90. I discard 2 with Regice and Cosmic Power... With 6 cards left in my deck, I draw five and get the 2 poke-turn, expert belt, sableye, and felicity's drawing. Good Game man.

Round 3: Norman B. v/s ??? (Mexican dude) Scizor/Sceptile 2-1
T2 Gyarados, Tail Revenge for 90 T2, then I proceeded to wreck through his Scizor and Sceptile then he could not recover at all. It was good playing against you though. Good Game.

Round 4: Norman B. v/s Charizard/Typhlosion/Ninetails girl 3-1
T2 Gyarados against her T1 Charizard, after I KO'd Charizard, it was impossible for her to recover, pretty soon I was doing 140 damage to a Charizard. I then took 6 prizes. Good Game.

Round 5: Norman B. v/s William (CurseGar) 4-1
I go first, with a Claydol and Luxray GL X in my hand. I play down my Sableye and use Call, I got a T2 Luxray GL X, Claydol, and Gyarados 60 damage. He got very mad at me for just wrecking his Claydol and preformed Gengars. Good Game.

Round 6: Norman B. v/s Nikolas Pavlovic (CurseGar) 5-1
I start with Sableye and Magikarp in my hand, oh my... I put down the Magikarp so I can go second. He has an Unown Q start... attaches and only does 20. I go, Roseanne's for an Uxie and Electric and got heads on SSU with Magikarp and Donk'd him. Good Game. OMG. I made it in! Wow!

Top 8 cut, I made it! After a round 1 loss! OMG!

So we get a dinner break, then Top 8 begins finally.

-----

Top 8 match:
Norman B. v/s Matt McD. (Dialga/Garchomp/Luxray)

Game 1: 0-1
He gets the T1 Deafen, 2 Magikarps were prized and I couldn't do anything. I scooped in order to save time for either me.

Game 2: 1-1
This is were I show my true strategy, I set up 2 Gyarados to make him waste his Healing Breaths and other stuff. He KO's one Gyarados while he wasted 4 Poke-Turns and both Garchomps and my plan worked! I wrecked him easily this round.

Game 3: 2-1
10 minutes left, I played smart in Top 8. We get set up, I took 1 Prize with Gyarados and Expert Belt. Then the judge called... TIME! I was like OMG... Top 4!

-----

Top 4: Norman B. v/s Jason Martinez (Gyarados/Luxray)

Game 1: 0-1
He gets a extremely good set up and I don't. He was winning by 3 prizes, I made a huge come back and it was down to 1-1. He top decks a Warp Point. And takes the last prize, I'm like... Okay.

Game 2: 1-1
I get a good setup and proceeded to just wreck his basics and Gyarados one by one. Good Game.

Game 3: 1-2
We both got average set up but I found this game not fair. I could have won this one if it wasn't for time, Jason was stalling like crazy and the judges said it was OKAY!? Uhhh... He had a belted Claydol on Bench, then next turn I could have won but he took next prize against me when it was NEXT PRIZE WINS... The judges definitely favor him or slightly does, I don't think taking 4-5 minute turns is a part of the rule book.

So I guess that was my tournament. I had fun, I got my first trophy. Then I just left with my friend back to San Diego from L.A.

Props:
- Making new friends
- 4th Place
- Trophy
- Booster Box
- Making Top Cut
- Beating Matt McDermaid once again, good game man.
- Matt McDermaid wearing the Mario hat.
- Elekid957
- dmaster
- z-man
- Kamz and Jason Chin for helping with my deck.

Slops:
- Goldedda losing Top 8
- Being stalled out when I was about to make T2.
- Stevo0235 losing in Top 8
- Playing against Stevo in 1st Round

Back