Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

baby rule

Eevee EX

I thought I read somewhere that the baby rule was back in effect...so Im fighting a gardy deck with waynut...do I still flip to attack waynut? ex card sets of coarse

The Baby Rule never left.

Except it does not apply to Wynaut. Nor any of the other cards printed since R+S that feature Pichu, Igglybuff, and other Pokémon that were Babies in Neo - E Series. Wynaut is not a Baby. It does not have the rule printed on it. It's just a regular Basic.

Babies printed in Neo:Genesis thru Skyridge still retain the Baby Rule and you still have to flip to attack one when it is Active.

Since this thread has been opened with the subject baby-rule, I'm gonna squeeze in a related question of my own.

When new cards read "...or any other effect on the defending pokemon", like som attacks do. Do they refer to the baby-rule or not... I'm thinking the pokemon's attack cannot be stopped... but is it so??

(Am I clear enough?)

Last edited:
I think you mean attacks that say "This damage isn´t affected by... or any other effects on the defending pokemon." Those don´t get through the babyrule because it (the babyrule) doesn´t even affect the damage. The "other effects" are such things as attacks that say " During your opponent´s next turn his or her pokemons attacks do 10 less damage to ~.". They couldn´t name all those effects.
No guarantee.

When new cards read "...or any other effect on the defending pokemon", like som attacks do. Do they refer to the baby-rule or not

NO, the babyrule (flip) has to be checked when an attack is announced, no matter what the attack does you first flip for the babyrule.
At head you forfill everything what the attack requires you to do.
At tails your turn is over.

The baby rule is just that, a rule, not an effect. Therefore, if an attack states that one should ignore "any other effect", one sould not ignore game rules (I hope...).

I kinda asumed that it did affect the baby-rule, but I was thinking... Maybe they (Nintendo/Pokemon) was thinking can't we do something to get rid of that annoying baby-rule...? So people can continue to merge the new cards with the old ones... something I find frustrating... either both players play babies or none... or you might as well fold... Playing EON decks against babies is too frustrating...

Enough rambling, thanks for clearing up.

Back