Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Bad Strategy ... is against the rules.

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
Hi all,

I realize that there are many players who confuse smart play with unfair play.

Here's a piece from the tournament rule document that will help you better understand where the line is drawn between "strategic" play and "bad stategy"/unsportsmanlike conduct.

7.6.2. Major

Players are expected to behave in a respectful manner to all attendees and staff of a Pokémon TCG event. Players who don’t behave properly need to be reminded to with the issuance of a penalty. Infractions in this category have a direct impact on event operation or cause a small degree of emotional distress to those around them.

Examples of Unsporting Conduct: Major include:

 Leaving a large amount of garbage in the tournament area.
 Failure to comply with the instructions of the event staff.
 Engaging in gamesmanship/rules lawyering.
 Attempting to manipulate a match through intimidation or distraction.
 Refusal to sign a match slip.
 Making legal plays which have no effect on the game in progress to manipulate the time remaining in a match.
 Playing slowly to manipulate the time remaining in a match.​

Recommended Starting Penalty:
Tier 1: Game Loss
Tier 2: Game Loss

I think the title you selected is a little misleading for the topic at hand. Without reading the thread I thought you were talking about making poor move choices, which clearly is not what you meant. There's a huge difference between bad strategy and unsportsmanlike conduct or cheating or manipulation.

I don't think anyone (myself included) understands what you're trying to get at here RA...

What I got from it was some people would play with in the rules to place a opponent at a disadvantage like taking longer to search your deck then normal when time is running out or 'slow' playing. I see it around a lot is its pretty discouraging when it happen. Its kind of the win at all cost mindset thing.

I'm guessing that RA has seen something he didn't like at a tournament and is making a point.

Well I was hoping you could tell me some examples so I know what to look out for in the Pokemon TCG. From the Pokemon documents I've read, gamesmanship can involve rushing your opponent, playing slowly on purpose, touching your opponent's cards repeatedly, and giving them "advice". I also read a gamesmanship article for Magic today, and it said that making a "mistake" that actually helps you is an example, so is asking your opponent their life total or amount of cards in hand to get them off-balance.

I know RA as a fellow Judge in my state. He just has a strong desire to make SotG more apparent in more players. What I'm thinking he is talking about is say, and I know this is a dead horse, a player like Ross who is careful and calculating his moves is not the same as someone who is taking full time on every action to get a favorable position in +3.

Well I was hoping you could tell me some examples so I know what to look out for in the Pokemon TCG. From the Pokemon documents I've read, gamesmanship can involve rushing your opponent, playing slowly on purpose, touching your opponent's cards repeatedly, and giving them "advice". I also read a gamesmanship article for Magic today, and it said that making a "mistake" that actually helps you is an example, so is asking your opponent their life total or amount of cards in hand to get them off-balance.

All the above is correct. The most common one to look for is slow play. This depends on the type of deck you're playing. A few of my friend wanted to play trainer lock and Durant but were slow played against because their opponents know those decks cant win in a time match. Also beware of your opponent rushing you.

I always tell my opponents I will take my time making my plays when they try to rush me. its a matter of respect and I find it very disrespectful when your opponent rushes you.

I know RA as a fellow Judge in my state. He just has a strong desire to make SotG more apparent in more players. What I'm thinking he is talking about is say, and I know this is a dead horse, a player like Ross who is careful and calculating his moves is not the same as someone who is taking full time on every action to get a favorable position in +3.

I wish I can put the SotG in more players but those who want to win at all cost will do what they need to in order to win...

I wish I can put the SotG in more players but those who want to win at all cost will do what they need to in order to win...

I find this ironic coming from the individual who proudly declares that he orders his deck into Pokemon, Trainer Energy, Pokemon, Trainer, Energy, etc. between every round.

I wish I could prevent more people from stacking their decks, but those who want to win at all cost will do what they need to in order to win.

Asking your opponent how many cards they are holding is perfectly legal in Pokemon. In fact it's advisable.

I think the point is not to do it when it will likely cause them to make a crucial mistake/overlook something, such as if they're in the middle of searching their deck or something. If my opponent asked my cards in hand in the middle of multiple actions in a single game, I'd get pretty suspicious of it, personally.

...and those who take inappropriate measures will find themselves quickly without allies or recognition.

Yeah, I wouldn't phrase it "bad" strategy. Maybe "devious" or "underhanded?"

Exactly what are you trying to get at? We're all aware cheating is a DQ, not seeing your point.

I don't think anyone (myself included) understands what you're trying to get at here RA...

I'm guessing that RA has seen something he didn't like at a tournament and is making a point.

Titles are often used divisively as a means to call attention to a discussion/topic.

The title serves its purpose if you came in and gave the post some thought :thumb:

MY POINT = There are too many people who think devioius play is SMART "strategy"

This post quotes actual verbiage from official Pokemon documentation and raises awareness that these "clever tricks" are, in fact, classified as illegal actions in the eyes of organized play.

There's always a point to what I post; even if I'm the only one who understands the rationale :lol:

Thanks for getting it Baby Mario and Trican :thumb:

I'll be honest, being so vague in making your point (could you maybe give some examples of your point?) doesn't help anyone understand it...

Mostly I was reminded that the floor rules leave something to be desired... but maybe that is because this is a fragment.

Back