Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ball park prices for A+ competative decks

sonyT

Does anybody have any guesstimates, top-of-the-head-numbers, blink reactions, to typical value of the decks that win championships?

The question I am curious about is "what kind of budget should one allocate to create a highly competitive deck?"

So in 2007, during the regionals or during the world championship, how much would you have spent to create the deck that ultimately won the championship.

I know it all depends and all that; but there has to be a ball park number. Just looking for averages.

Pokemon has released 4 championship decks for 2005, 2006 and 2007 that I know of;

2006:

* Jason Klazynski (World Champion 15+) - Deck featuring Manectric ex.
* Jimmy Ballard (2nd place 15+) - Deck featuring Flareon ex.
* Miska Saari (World Champion 11 to 14) - Deck featuring Solrock.
* Hiroyuki Yano (World Champion 10 and under) - Deck featuring Lugia ex.

Tom Roos's deck is described here: http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/strategy/articles/57.html and other 2007 decks are here http://www.go-pokemon.com/tcg/news/articles/58.html

Many of you are VERY proficient - you guys can smell a deck and say "thats worth about $75-$100".

Just looking for average, approximate numbers.

Thanks

As most of the cards in the format aren't really expensive (even the Lv. X's cause most of them come out in a tin) I think $50-$80 will be the price for a competative deck. But a competative deck doesn't mean you will do good with it...you also need the playing skills and a good decklist ;)

Thanks.

Do you know what is bigger than infinity? Well, its infinity + s&h, of course.

I think you are right about $50 to $80 and after adding s&h to get the cards, it will be pretty close to $100.

The wailord deck I am putting together cost $60 plus $20 s&h b/c I had to get the cards from 5 different vendors.
The most expensive card in the deck is not a pokemon but the DRE.

Depending on the format, LBS was a good $300 deck.
Gardy/Gallade, depending on if you already have some of the cards can only may cos you $100 ish Gardy lv is the most expensive card in that deck. Depending if you have trainers and commons most decks aren't that hard to build. I built Flaridos with $100.

I would say, due to the high trade-a-bilty of most of the Trainers in any give deck, could run you anywheres 20-45 depending on the Trainers in it. Then you add the Pokemon which could run you another 35-60 (Assuming it has a Lv X or 2 in it (IE Gardy Lv X, Magmortar Lv X)). And then then Energy 10-20 (IF the deck has DRE's) If not then 4-10.

I got into a discussion at the local gym today and the league master (hi Alex) had an interesting take on it. He thought that it was cheaper to buy a box of booster for $100 then to try to make a deck and buy the cards one at a time.

He thought that with a booster box, you might not get 4 set of the evolution chains, but you get so much more that you can trade for (some time trade rich) for the cards you want. Moreover, by having a whole box, you can make any deck that you want and have the option of changing the techs in your deck.

In other words, over the course of a year, there is more cash outlay in buying the booster box, but it is "cheaper" because you get so much more.

This trading thing to construct a deck has never worked too well for me; my pokemon-friend-circle is not large enough and I generally don't have enough time or energy before an event to be able to find people to trade with.

I think trading strategy works for people who collect cards, but not for deck making purposes.

What do frugal TCG players do? I hope there is such a thing as frugal TCG player!

buy boxes then trade your up or down for the cards you need in your deck. That is the most frugal way to do it. If not post on the buying forum and list what you want n your deck, I'm sure somebody will build it for you.

Back