Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Barrage of Energy Pick-up: NW Masters Report

Shino Bug Master

Front Page News Editor
As usual, the night before I'm not sure what to play. At states, I got Top 8 with Dusknoir/Electivire (Kicks from Brixton, which I'll post a link to later) and had become very comfortable with it. The downside being I never seemed to get anything major going until T4-T6. In a donk format, I wasn't sure that would be enough. I built Golduck/Palkia Lv.X and liked it, hitting for a constant 60 and never losing energy while hitting whatever you wanted. I also had Magnezone/Regigigas at a friends to play, which was a strangely effective deck idea I had, where you could pull the strategy from either deck to use in a game, but more effectively. I've only tested Brixton, and I couldn't pull anything against Dialga G Lv.X with an Unown G. My max damage output against something with G is 50 without flipping, and I felt queasy about the number of G decks I'd surely face.

I decide to play Golduck/Palkia and have the list for it and Brixton done. I do a quick play test against Kingdra. Thankfully. Skuntank G single handedly makes the deck near worthless. I can't beat Kingdra, and I know that there were quite a few more Kingdra at Oregon States then even Gs. I try and add in a Houndoom G or Machamp in order to better combat Dialga, but decide that changing the deck now will just screw me over. I enter the DS and Team tournaments and buy a Leafeon Lv.X for $10. I hang with some friends while waiting for pairings and get a feel for the decks around. Kingdra, Machamp and Gs are all pretty big.

Round 1 vs Scizor/Shaymin
I watch grass energy after grass energy in his shuffle and figure that it is probably Torterra, til i see a Scyther. Scizor/Cherrim doesn't sound like a fun match-up to me, since I usually need a few turns to set-up. But when I see him Pachi start for a Shaymin and two Scyther, I'm calmed down a bit. He has to take a few turns before using Zor. I set-up a Noir before he gets Zor and Rare Candy into an Electivire to grab the energy so I have him to use too. He benches another Pokemon after I hit his Zor with Damage Even, and attacks me again. I DP Noir his Level Maxed Shaymin X and KO his Scizor. After this, it becomes a pretty easy prize trade. My deck hits for constant 50s, which is good because it 2HKO's while not setting off his Body. I actually have an amazing match-up if I can set-up. Noir spread, the fact that Acceleration does less then nothing to me, and that I can 2HKO unless he plays Rainbow Energy, or just Damage Even make it a heyday. Though prize-wise, it's pretty even. I score the final two kos with another Dark Palm on Shaymin X while his Scizor has 120 damage on it and pick off another one on the bench. Sealing the game. Cool guy, just got back into the game and had a pretty decent deck.

1-0

Round 2 vs Darkrai/Regigigas/Palkia/Weavile
When I see a Dark Roar Darkrai start to my Skull, Electrivire, Electivire X Psychic, NM, Psychic Psychic. I'm sweating, as I only draw into another Skull. I mange to get an Uxie the next turn with something or other, but he keeps switching up my Skulls. Because he fails to tell me I get to pick what Pokemon I send up. Sour grapes right there. I manage to KO his T3 Darkrai Lv.X with a 2/2 heads Discharge. After that, I Dark Palm a Gigas X with 5 energy on it and take back my control in this game. I don't let him keep Palkia down long enough to be a threat and Damage Even anything I don't want to deal with. He only plays Moonlight Stadium, so Skuntank is of extreme value here, since he can't counter mine and I poison his Gigas' all the time. He Sacrificed twice making the game that much easier.

2-0

Okay, so i was sooo relieved that I pulled out of that one. Not a deck I wanted to ever play against again. I grab some chicken for lunch while my friend buys some fries, which get blown away in the wind XD I'm enjoying my deck, despite the bad starts.

Round 3 vs Skittles
Well, at least it’s not a lame Regs where I play against GG 5 out of 8 times, but I'd like to test my beef against a real deck. This guy really liked me deck and said he was glad he lost to me of all people, which made meh happeh =D Anyway, I run through him being set-up T2 and getting past Ho-oH's annoying power with Damage Even. We play again, but he can't get past my Skuntank/Dusknori combination for anything. Nice guy, though he was on the phone a lot. I didn't really mind but it made about 8 minutes in the match really awkward.

3-0

Round 4 vs Corey T w/Gengar
Gengar, finally a deck that i wanted to play against. Never tested against it, and I only play that one lonely Unown G. I start with a Skull and Call for once, and get that G out like there's business to be done. I need the turn to stall and figure he'll Poltergeist for the Ko of my Skull, as i couldn't get past Pitch Dark and have like three trainers in my hand. I end figuring that I'm going to have a hard time doing anything. His turn, he attaches and energy and Shadow Rooms my Unown G for the knock out. I gasp, realizing I left the poor little guy unattached. It ends up being my saving grace as i get rid of all trainers in my hand, NM G back after I give up a Skuntank a turn later and keep my hand devoid of trainers. An active Noir with G just walked through him after I DP Noir'd his other Gengar. He kept dropping Bats and Poketurns to kill mah baltoy and it made me sad =/ Vire nabbed me a turn of immunity and prize I needed to make sure I had the game. Good game, nice guy and I'd see him later on too, in top 8 after he went 6-1.

4-0

Round 5 vs Machamp/Weavile/T-Tar
Soooooooo. I wanna cry about now. I mulligan three times, and he draws 6 total cards with Unown F/Speed Stadium in two turns. I draw 2 with Uxie and they suck. He gets up a T-Tar with 5 energy. i Dark palm it and Damage Even his Machamp for 60. He kos, I put down Dusknoir X as a stadium and Ko with Vire. From here, I use Noir, Vire and Skuntank to hit him fro 60 damage in between our turns and use Pulse Barrier to ko everything he can muster. Dark Palm and Poison Structure are so awesome. He goes 5-2 and makes top cut.

5-0

Round 6 vs Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeve W w/Amu

Gah.

Gah.

Gah.

I played him at States as on of my two losses, cause I couldn't top deck a psychic energy. This time, the same won't happen. So I fall behind on prizes quickly, but play this game like a pro. I hit his Mesprit X for 8 counters and then don't touch it while attacking with Vire X. I expected it to die from Noir X damage later on, but instead he attaches and kos himself with Vire's body, He kos with Mewtwo, but has energy problems for a little while. That is until he flips heads on a key energy Pick-up. I recover and Spin for a Ko. He needs an energy pick-up heads to beat me down. He plays an Uxie and sets up for:

Energy Pick-up

Energy Pick-up

Energy Pick-up

So he gets heads on the second one and kills me again. The third one ends up saving him too, cause he gets a heads on that one later for the final prize.

Eh, Steve gets some mad luck against me, but he isn't a bad player to loose to. I only lost like 9 points to him and he ends up going 6-1 xD

5-1

Round 7 vs Breon w/Luxray
So he's freaking out about having to play me because he "doesn't play a counter stadium." He really shouldn't have told me this. I had no intention of giving him the pleasure of having a Level X in play. My game play doesn't change much in this match-up, but it costs him nonetheless. Anyway, I'm in deep trouble. He gets a T2 Luxray and he takes a major lead early on and has me 6-3 or 6-2 after using Rayquaza to rip apart my Dusknoir. Now I have Moonlight out and send up Uxie. I grab my trusty Skuntank, switch otu Uxie after poisoning and KO Claydol with Dusknoir (he had full bench, but I never get a DP Noir out...). I used Nm to keep my Dusknoirs in full swing, which makes me happeh. Now I level up so I can Shadow Command and OHKO Luxray's on the bench with Damage Even. I kill off Baltoy, 2 Luxrays and a Shinx while his Ray sits as active, unable to do anything to me. He doesn't draw the warp/switch to save himself and I pull out the win.

6-1. I'm 4th seed, and see that all my opponent's from round 4 and on are also in top 16. I feel good knowing that having a loss to me pulled two of them up. So I play against 13th seed.....Breon.

Top 16 vs Breon w/Luxray
So game one I use Dusknoir X like a killer uses candy. So wrong and so tempting. He has to go for the kill, but I use my remaining Dusknoir and Electivire to neutralize his Claydols and Energy Link/Rayquaza tricks. He can't come back from that

Game 2 I apparently scoop. Don't even remember playing three games so I must've had something roncheh.

Game 3: Is like game one except less Dusk X spread and more Dusk X koing. He manages to bring it down after I miscalculate how much damage he can do and let a Luxio bring me down. After that I blast away his Energy Links and sweep. He just couldn't keep up with me, as his support is so much heavier then mine (Claydol).

So it’s near 11 o clock by know I think. My Birthday is the 19th, so I make a goal to play into my birthday. I look around top 8 and realize I don't want to play any of them. Except maybe..

Top 8 vs Corey T w/Gengar

Well well. It seems as if its rematches FTW for me. I don't give him an unown G kill either game. I manage to pull out a T3 Dusknoir Unown G combo both times and use DP Noir to own him. We joke around a lot and are having a good time so it’s all good. I notice he plays a 1-0-1 Blazekin for the Dialga match-up and I props him for that. I end up nearly screwing myself over by having us both take a 4th prize right as time is called. I manage to get the next KO thankfully and am left feeling pretty lucky. Great games, cool guy. Hope to play him again sometime.

Top 4 is Kingdra and Palkia/Dialga. I have a bad history with Kingdra from States, but still haven't played against a G deck. I already know that my opponent is none other then Levi, the Kingdra player who swept me in swiss and then got trash starts in Top 16 of states. I feared the same wet noodle matches as states, but instead got the two best Kingdra games, if not overall games, of Pokemon I've ever played.

Game 1: This is intense. i give him a quick prize lead while he builds up a Kingdra as active with 2 energy so he can get around my Night Spin. he ends up setting a fourth bench at some point and I get a 2HKo with Vire X while shuffling away his Claydol. With BTS, Claydol and 1 Kingdra line down he play slows down, but he's still managing to survive on ¾ SSU's and Uxies. We trade prizes while I use an effective combination of every card that can deal damage to smack him around and keep the prize count in my favor. I use DP Dusknoir and Electivire mostly, favoring Dusknoir only after I nab the X from my prizes and need to kill off a Baltoy. it ends 2-0 in my favor as I demolish his lack of set-up while playing balls out at the end to ensure a win.

Game 2: Nearly a repeat of game 1. i use Night spin at risky points in the game while I favor Damage Even when he can KO me. But Its working well. We trade prizes, but the lack of Claydol makes it difficult on him. The fact he scores 4/4 SSU heads don't make it easy, but I still bring it down to this set-up:

He has a lone Kingdra, no damage on it.
I have an Electivire lv.X active with 1 Call Energy, 3 Electric and 60 damage. I have a fresh DP Dusknoir charged up, an SF with no energy and 6 damage counters, and a Claydol with 20 HP left. I play every card I can to draw into my Rainbow Energy to give me 4 electric energy, but whiff. Now, I should've retreated, used Motorboat, and attacked with DP Dusknoir. I though for some reason he could warp for game, not thinking I could just send up Claydol. So I go for the Ko that will win me the game. Somehow, while I acknowledge that I'll clear his field with 2 heads, it doesn't really sink in that I am holding the game in my hands. I roll the dice. One lands flat as heads. One flat as tails. The final dice lands propped up against my Evire Lv.X showing me a fat 1. He goes, discards two cards and wins. I can't believe that after my opponent's today mange to flips heads 90% of the time, I can't get 2/3 heads. I sigh and say gg.

Game 3: Nothing sets up right. my quick Dusknoir is dead before I can take a prize, and I've counted time since my half hour warning. He takes two prizes and has another one that's as good as his. I have nothing to answer back with, and I'm playing mad. I know I lost my scholarship money on a poor tactical choice and terrible rolls. I scoop with three minutes left, knowing he has the game and giving him time to prepare for his next match, while giving me time to cool off. I hate being a poor sport and would rather not disgrace the two great games we shared with a hotly attitude.

I congratulate him afterwards, cause he deserved second place. Though I'm feeling pretty good, now a Sixteen year old, who just got 3rd place at Regs. I made a great deck and played it well in some bizarre situations. That's why i still play this game =D To heck with decks like Rampardos where you do the same dang thing every turn, when you can effectively use 60 cards to pull you out of the deepest hole, it leaves you feeling good. I get a cool trophy and open my box to get a Palkia G Lv.X, Giratina lv.X, Shiny Lotad and Hitmonchan (no Palkia G though..).

The deck:
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1391611#post1391611

Props:
I GOT THIRD!
All of my opponent's for great games, and great decks
Corey and Breon for being fun opponent's in top cut
Levi for being intense and pushing my deck to its limits.
Pokemon for being like, not a kids game xD
SKUNTANK G
Dusknoir/Electivire being awesome combo and fun to play
Unown G, so annoying, so helpful
Chicken Strips were tasty
Playing top cut on my birthday =D
Staff for supporting the awesome game
SKUNTANK G
Seth for getting 17th (=/ so close)
Team beastly getting 3rd in overall team thingy
My friends for letting me borrow some cards i needed
Steven getting 3rd in Juniors with the same deck =D
My opponent's for playing 4 bench against Dusknoir consistently =D (no body let me use DP Noir at states =( )
Box of cards!
Cheap Leafeon Lv.X

Slops:
Being afraid of Warp Point
SSU
Energy Pick-up
Lone Duskull start against Darkrai
My deck for being so terrible the first 3 turns of most of my games xD
Energy Pick-up
Not getting to try my luck against a G deck
Forgetting to eat dinner
Mah terrible coin flipping
Levi not getting first
Oregon not getting more Master's Trophies ( i was the only one =D)
No top cut for Seth
Having to knock out Breon in first round of top cut
Energy Pick-up

Last edited:
Back