Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Base Set Theme Deck Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ness

I had an idea and I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in doing it. Anyone remember the first few rounds of the Fan Appreciation Tournament at GenCon back in 2003? Each player got a theme deck and (I believe) a few booster packs to construct a deck with. I was wondering if anyone would ever be interested in doing a tournament like this with rare Shadowless Base Boosters & Theme Decks.

I recently ordered a sealed box of shadowless Base Theme Decks (the first print run of the theme decks). The box is sealed and I have eight decks, so we could do an 8 person tournament. I also plan on buying a shadowless Base Booster box. However, these packs & decks are rare collectors items, so they aren't cheap. I paid $50/deck and shadowless boosters go for around $25, meaning it would probably cost around $150 per person to do a Theme Deck+4 Booster Pack tournament. I was wondering if anyone else was interested in doing it. It would be pretty cool to open some of the original base set boosters!

If you have the money for it, this actually seems like a really fun idea. Opening Base Set packs would bring back some good memories (especially if you pull the Charizard). When/where would this take place?

I'm thinking we could do it if anyone is in Indianapolis early before Nationals, like Wednesday?

My basic idea: 8 theme decks + 36 packs.

4 packs per person = 8x4= 32 packs.

4 packs left as prizes.

I'm thinking we could do it if anyone is in Indianapolis early before Nationals, like Wednesday?
4 packs left as prizes.

So it's going to cost people $150 AND an extra hotel night? That turns into $270ish just to play in it. I know a lot of people are planning on getting in thursday so that it's only 4 nights to stay.
:frown:

So it's going to cost people $150 AND an extra hotel night? That turns into $270ish just to play in it. I know a lot of people are planning on getting in thursday so that it's only 4 nights to stay.
:frown:

I was assuming a lot of people arrive in Indianapolis by Wednesday. If I am mistaken, we could do it on Thursday - there's no events scheduled for Thursday, right?

Sounds like a good idea. As long as you can find 8 people willing to drop the cash, it would be really fun.
Maybe just as much fun for poor spectators.

If I could afford it, I'd love to do it. As others pointed out, it's ripe with memories. Good luck to you and the other seven.

This. It's expensive, but there are very limited spots so that probably won't be a problem. I can't drop that kind of cash on it (if I can even make it to Nats), but I'm sure it'll be great fun for those who can!

If I can call dibs on a Blackout deck, I'm totally down for Thursday. Let me know.

Gabriel, does that mean you're in?

So that would be four. I thought we had a fifth person too but his response disappeared. Anyway, I figured we were just going to randomly pick decks, but if eight of us each pick a deck, that would work too. So far, if we pick decks, it would be:

Gabriel: Zap!
Criminal: Overgrowth
Pajamas: Blackout
Ness: Blackout

Meaning we have available:
2 Brushfire Decks
1 Zap! Deck
1 Overgrowth Deck

Pictures of the decks:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/3737/2676/_bco7wfgb2k___kgrhqiokiqeq34id0tmbk1v4nvnd____35.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/3737/2887/_bco7_jw_mk___kgrhquokiseq5_w0w5sbk1v4et0qw___35.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/3737/2866/_b_r1d4q_wk___kgrhgoh-cwejllluz7qbkqydh1knw___35.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/3737/2656/_bco7_8_bmk___kgrhquokjseq5tokycvbk1v05fp_w___35.jpg

I received a sealed theme deck box of these in the mail yesterday but I am still looking for a shadowless base booster box. I can't find one online yet but my friend Behman is looking for me. He runs Collector's Cache and people occasionally bring him sealed base boxes to sell.

If you want to run this event, why did you pick Shadowless Decks/Boosters? It might be better to use cheaper decks and boosters-> more players might be interested in there because its cheaper.

But all in all i like the idea and i am hoping for the results, opinions etc

Ace, shadowless boosters contain rare looks at the first English Pokemon cards ever printed. They are now considered collectors' items and would bring back good memories for some of the players like myself who remember buying their first booster packs when the game first debuted in the US.

Good news: after a lot of searching, I found someone with a sealed shadowless booster box and bought it for $700. We are good to go: just looking for four more to play.

Perhaps if it goes well in Nationals we could do it again at Worlds.

Who else wants in? We have both Brushfire decks left, one Zap deck, and one Overgrowth deck. I'm estimating it'll cost $150 to play. I bought a sealed 1st Edition base pack online - that would probably make a good prize to add to the pool considering everyone playing would obviously be into original cards.

good idea :) i like it!

do it at worlds, so people from Australia can do it too :D

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

unless i could play via online

Last edited:
I think for purposes of playing we should deal the decks out randomly. People can trade after the fact. That being said I'm on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back