Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Baton red face paint BR Report! T2 Kricketune!

Pinsir52

BUT please take it to Battle Roads and post a tourney report!

:thumb:

YOU ASKED, AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!

I decided about a two months ago that I was going to play Kricketune at the Baton red face paint BR. I posted a thread on the gym, and got a lot of hate. Finally, I would compete to earn the little Kricket some much deserved respect. I didn't expect to win, or even make top-cut. As long as I left without a losing record, I would be happy. I just wanted to prove he could hold his own. Well, here's the list I went with:

4 Kricketune
4 Kricketotw
2 Claydol
2 Baltoy

Total: 12
------------

4 Bebe's Search
4 Quick Ball
3 Pokedex handy910is
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Team Galactic's Wager
2 Night Maintenance
3 Super Scoop Up
2 Professor Oak's Visit
3 PlusPower
2 Warp Point
2 Cynthia's Feelings
1 Buck's Training
1 Time-Space Distortion

Total: 33
------------

15 Grass Energy

Total: 15
-------------------

After everyone is registered, we find we'll have 4 rounds of swiss with a top 2, so I need to be 4-0, or 3-1 with the highest resistance.

ROUND 1: Rebekka S. with MARIO

I get a Baltoy start, but I have some other stuff in my hand, so I get an okay set up. She dings me with Machop for 2 turns, then I get a 'Tune and a few tots and start sweeping. She gets a Machoke, which kinds scares me, cause I only have 2 tunes. I bebe for the claydol and get the PlusPower. I kill Machoke and she crumbles from there.

1-0

ROUND 2: Chaz with DUSKNOIR/METAGROSS/UXIE X/MEWTWO X

Chaz beat me in the finals yesterday at Mandeville (i played empo/zong). Dusknoir kills 'Tune! I need a big bench to do damage. Luckily, his Metagross flipped tails the entire game (he literally flipped like 20 tails in a row). Uxie and Mewtwo are 2HKO's, but Metagross is soooo annoying with special metals. I get a few early prizes, then he gets set-up and takes a few. I struggle to take out his Megagrosses. Eventually, I have 1 prize, he has 2, and time is called, so I win. He would've won though, cause he can one shot me; I have to 2shot him. I couldn't have done it if I wouldn't have flipped 3 heads on TSD.

Revenge is sweet!!

2-0

ROUND 3: Brent S. with Kingdra

I already won 2 matches, so either way it goes, I'm happy, but if I beat brent, im almost guarenteed top2! I get a GOD start, and he has an okay set up. On T2, I have a kricketune and ALL of the 'tots out. I kill his horsee, but he comes back with Kingdra, and does 60, and 20 to a benched 'Tune. I 2HKO his kingdra. The problem with kingdra is he damages the bench, so when I send up a new 'Tune, it only has 60hp left, and is easy picking for kingdra. So, I get 3 prizes early, and he just kinda starts slaughtering me from there. HE PLAYED DUSKNOIR! AHHH! I eventually KO another kingdra, but he of course has another, and wins. I got 4 prizes, proving that Kricketune can PUT UP A FIGHT AGAINST KINGDRA.

2-1

ROUND 4: Alex with Empo/Zong.

Before the round starts, I check the standings. I currently have the highest opponent's win% of all the 2-1 people. If I win this one, I'll get top2. I draw a GOD opening hand, but so does Alex. He hets a T2 Empoleon, T2 Bronzong, and T2 Claydol, with some other stuff...like a piplup or something. I get a T2 Kricketune, T2 Claydol, and every tot and a back up tune. T2 Kricketune is good, but not as good as T2 empoleon. I 2HKO his empoleon, but not without him spreading a bunch of damage. He sends up bronzong and spreads, hurting my claydol a bit. I attach a PlusPower and kill it. We exchange prizes, till it's 2-2. Then he stops spreading and draws the next 2 prizes with Surf Together. Oh. He played Dusknoir. Stupid Dusknoir.

FINAL RECORD: 2-2
-----------------------

I did it. I accomplished my goal of 2-2. I beat yesterdays BR champion, and darn near beat mississippi's best player's Kingdra deck, as well as a well played Empo/Zong. While it's true, "almost doesn't count," I never got totally whipped. Also, between R1 and R2, I played Josh S.'s Vileplume deck,and outsped it so fast it's not even funny. Final note: KRICKETUNE IS A VIABLE DECK!!
-----------------------

Props:
Proving my point
beating Chaz, after he beat me in the finals yesterday
Getting set-up first in every single game
Having god starts 3 games in a row
BEATING CHAZ!!

Slops:
DUSKNOIR in Chaz's Deck
DUSKNOIR in Brent's Deck
DUSKNOIR in Alex's Deck

-The Pinsir

I would like to absolutely shatter your dreams. I will begin by telling you the first tow decks you played against weren't good decks Mario is not good, It never was so the fact that you beat it is not really much of an accomplisment. The second deck you faced was also not a real deck and doesn't have any flow that good decks have. The entire deck is one giant tech. Dusknoir gets rid of bench, Metagross Brings out benched pokemon for kills, Mewtwo Lv. X is anti basic and Uxie X is a pokemon used for draw power.

This brings me to my next point. The two decks you lost to are already established deck types that consistently see play and are in fact better than kricketune will ever be. So the fact that you lost to decks that are good and beat decks that are bad means only one thing, Kriketune is not a viable deck type.

You proved only one thing, kricketune is an average deck that will never see play again for exactly the reasons why it stopped being played in the first place, a lack of good trainers to back it up and better pokemon cards being made.

Sorry to shatter your dreams.:frown:

Very nice to see someone play Kricketune, I would have played it at a BR, had I been able to attend any of my last two >.>

Back