Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Best Generations (in your opinion)

3>4>1>2

My two favourite Pokemon (Garde and Sally) came in Gen 3 (Although I didn't like the Regi legendaries)
I enjoyed all of the added evo lines in Gen 4
Gen 1 was solid, no complaints
Gen 2 only 100 Pokemon... zzz

2 > 4 > 1 > 3

3 was just plain BORING! There wasn't anything really revolutionary about the game, and it took out a LOT of the stuff that made G2 so great, like the clock and clock based events. The Pokes there were also generally lackluster, and all the starters were forgettable.

2 was the last generation that truly provided any real innovation to the game. The introduction of the clock and clock based events. The splitting of Special into Attack and Defense. The concept of different attacks using different stats to calculate their damage. Breeding. Hotkeys. Gym puzzles. Additional gameplay after the E4. A second world to explore. Expanded evolution lines. This was the last time I actually lost myself in a Pokemon game, and I'm waiting for that experience again.

2>1>4>3

2 is by far the best for me because I grew up on it and there were soooo many new ideas in it. I found the game to be just amazing. 1 is next because it is the original and Yellow version was awesome because you could get Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur without trading anybody. Also Pikachu followed you HOW COOL IS THAT!!!

I find four next because 3 is just horrible. I am pained to play it, and I liked nothing about it. 4 didn't have many things that I liked about it but is far better than 3.

Giving ample warning - if you are going to post, post worthy content.

Alright, now for my opinion:
First place - 2nd Generation. This is going to be the common response here. It revolutionized the series. Perfect story, no over powered Pokemon. It was perfect in every sense for the time.

Second - 3rd Generation. This generation brought me back into the game. Double battles, great Pokemon - though some are overpowered. The story was fun, with having a new team(s) that was set on their ideals, but not rule the world.

Third - 1st Generation. The original - 151 Pokemon. The game was great. Glitchy, but great.

Last - 4st generation. Don't get me wrong - 4th is fun, but is the sour outside to Gold and silvers sweet inside. The mechanics are fun and the graphics are better, but it is just not hitting the spot with me. The DS is capable of a whole lot more, and they introduced some WAY overpowered Pokemon. Garchomp, Bronzong, Dusknoir, etc. It has ruined the competitive scene, and it is not a repair that is easily fixed. The story is just straight out bad. He Cyrus is not any sort of antagonist that a series needs or wants.

There you go - me two cents.

Overall Gen 2 is my top fav. It was the perfect balance between something new and keeping it true to what makes it so awesome! Plus they kept the original 8 leaders from Kanto and had connectivity with R/B/Y. The rival in Gen 2 is also my favorite character in the entire Pokemon world. A cruel guy that you just want to give a vulgar name to... yeah good times.

I had the best experiences with generations 3 & 4. Generation 3 gave us EV training, Natures, a better IV system, and some of my all time favorite Pokemon (Metagross, Manectric, Groudon,). Although of all the regions, Hoenn is my least favorite. It lacked the day/night feature Generation 2 had. Plus all those cities we had to visit but really had no major point in the main story of the game (fallarbor, Pacificlog, ect.). Still Gen 3 was when I learned how to play competitively and EV train properly.

I enjoyed gen 4 a bit better then Gen 3, not by much though. Sinnoh Region was a greatly appreciated improvement over the Hoenn Region. Team Galactic was a bit on the psychotic side, but I rather enjoyed the distortion world bit in Platinum. Gen 4 also gave me Gallade, heck yeah Ralts got an evolution it deserves. My favorite feature from gen 4: CHAINING! I have over 3 boxes of shiny pokemon I've obtained through chaining alone. Plus Synchronize makes it more worthwhile to go chain more shiny Pokemon.

As for HGSS, I'd say that brought us to Generation 4 1/2. Why? Well let's see we now have Giratina Origin Forme, Shaymin Sky Forme, all those Rotom Forms, and numerous Pokemon can learn new attacks through breeding. HGSS also gave us flat battle, improving on the overall quality of Gen 4. As far as the story goes, I think including Giovanni in the game is a plus, but there are several things HGSS could do without. Pokeathlon is fun the first few times but for me they get pretty boring pretty fast.

There's not much for me to say about the first generation and the original 151. I was 10 or 11 at the time and used the infamous Missingno. trick to multiply my rare candies. I had a ton of fun playing my Red version over and over, but I hardly ever link battled with that game. All I can say is I enjoyed Red Version while I had it and before I somehow managed to get a virus on it. (I still have the cartridge. I'm such a geek.)
~Cyber~

3>4>1>2

My two favourite Pokemon (Garde and Sally) came in Gen 3 (Although I didn't like the Regi legendaries)
I enjoyed all of the added evo lines in Gen 4
Gen 1 was solid, no complaints
Gen 2 only 100 Pokemon... zzz

Same exact opinions other than the favorites. Ludicolo and Flygon personally.

I loved the 3rd gen. It was the gen. I started in, and I love all those pokemon. Gen. 2 was a second fave of mine. The whole post E4 is what got me. Gen. 4 was amazing when it came out, but when it came down to it, besides giving me gallade, honchkrow, weavile, gliscor, and empoleon, I wasn't as impressed. Gen. 1 is amazing as a Pokemon game, but compared to others, the lack of Pokemon gets me. Though having OHKO moves as a TM is great too.

For me, first generation paved the way to a whole new way of playing rpg's. Being able to battle a friend was the best new addition to the rpg sceen verses how other rpg series stuck to in-game battles only. And to be able to trade your pokies was the next best addition to the game, creating a need to hook up with a fellow friend and interact with to battle and trade. The only downside to first generation was the fact that psychic was over dominating, and dragon types where way too few.

The arrivel of second generation was not only an up-grade to the series, but it added two new types, making the rock/paper/scissors game play more evenly balanced. The battle field was never the same, since the days of good old Mewtwo's dominating reign came to a hault since dark now has a counter to the psychic type. ( Remember the early battle days? Who did NOT have Mewtwo in their party? ) The in game features such as day/night, breeding, and the addition of hold items made the game play feel even more stratigic in a lot of aspects of the battle system.

Third generation, all I will say is this: Double battle, and the addition of nature's and personalities. It gave the series a more stratigic battle field with a more rpg feeling to the game. The downside of the addition to the series was the unbalancing of the battle field, as it made so many good pokies completely useless, even with the pokies abilities. Also, more "Baby" pokemon? It made the series look as if it was receting, and the developer's have no new ideas verses adding new battle moves and hold items.

Fourth generation kind of revived the series for me, but I felt that the story line could of used more new ideas. Tradition is good, but to much can make a series go stale. Sure, there have been plenty of "spin-off" complementry games, but the main over all structure was repetative. The battle field is still unbalenced, and there are too many over used battle "themes", staying focused on a select few Pokemon.

In my opinion, second generation has got to be the best of the series, but Pokemon XD: Gale Of Darkness could of easily been the best in the series GAMEBOY/SP/DS wise if it were not Gamecube exclusive. ( Still G.o.D.- the best- Long live "Shadow Storm!")

I realy am looking foreword to fifth generation, as it seems that the devolopers have finally decided to take full advantage of what the DS can do, and hopefully there will a "balancing out"- for the battle field will once again be a proud place for the under-used Pokies to once again make an appearance instead of hiding in the shadows and sitting in the pc, being useless "sprites" because of "Gotta catch 'um all"-

2>1>3>4

I agree with everything bullados said, except the order. Generation 3 was pretty boring, but generation 4 was just a gimmick. All we got were a bunch of weird evolutions for previous generation Pokemon. Most of the new Pokemon were kinda weird, too.

We need something new in the game. This whole "Beat 8 gyms, pwn E4, game over" deal is getting really old.

About ranking the 4th gen so high. I just really liked the storyline. I felt it was the most mature and deep storyline in any Pokemon game yet. I'm talking about the stuff outside of the Gym battles. The characters were well written, Cyrus is just an AWESOME character, and everything just makes a self-contained sort of sense. Rowan is the best written Professor they've had so far, Dawn is at least engaging as a friendly rival, and Rival is at least the second best of his type (behind RHD from G2).

Another reason I hated 3 was because the characters were all just too darn *NICE*. There wasn't any personality behind any character, and that just peeved me off tremendously. In 1, Gary was at least reasonable in a semi-emo sort of way. In 2, RHD was just plain kool even if his backstory didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time. May was a weak rival, and Wally was even worse. There wasn't anybody you were really chasing, so the Gyms all got boring and turned into nothing but a grind much quicker than in any other generation. I also felt that double battles were then and still are a gimmick, and an unbalanced one at that. I hate how all of the stats we need to know about are now hidden from view, and I hate how Box Trick no longer works. About the only redeeming feature of G3 was that it provided the first coherent storyline out of the manga and two halfway decent characters there for the first time as well.

2>3>1>4

2 had the best overall game play and introduced two new types of pokemon. very revolutionary in my opinion. 3 has a ton of my favorite pokemon and also introduces some new concepts like double battles and berries. 1 is just in general awesome. 4 was a good game but i felt that the pokemon from hat generation could have had something more to it than what we got.

2>4>1>3

Gen2 was the best. The rival, the epic new Pokemon, the ruins of Alph freaking you out, the massive labyrinths that were Mt. Mortar and the Whirlpool Islands, the ability to collect 16 badges, periodic events, running Legendaries that appear at random - it was fantastic.

I adored Gen4 for its story, like Bullados. Cyrus and RHD tie for my favorite character in a Pokemon series. They actually made something interesting out of Pokemon and out of the RPG setup, and I hope that the adult characters and foreboding version names for Gen5 mean they're continuing on this trend. I have to admit I'm biased, though, because... GLACEON ♥

Gen1 was pretty dang close to Gen4 though. Nothing beats good old nostalgia. I could go on rants and stories about Gen1 for hours and hours... it was just classic.

I liked Gen3 more than most - it had double battles and it had some really excellent Pokemon (Gardevoir, Salamence, Flygon, Rayquaza, Jirachi were my favorites). What really brought it down was the poor in-game Pokemon selection. None of your options were terribly appealing. In order to get a team that actually looked kind of cool, you had to start Torchic, spend hours hunting and training a Ralts, then spend more time hunting and training an Aron, then wade through the next several towns without catching ANYTHING, get a Trapinch, and - well, by this point, there's really not much left that's terribly interesting!

2>3>1>4

2nd Gen had some of my favourite Pokemon (Xatu, Kingdra, Politoed, Scizor, Azumarill, Houndoom, etc.) as well as a combination of the 1st Gen and a new storyline. The Red Gyarados was a nice addition to the game, and the idea that you could catch something extremely rare everytime you walked into caves or grass made it that much more appealing.

3rd Gen was an entirely new storyline with some cool new Pokemon (more than the previous Gen). While I like the actually in-game story and the addition of double battles was a step in the right direction, I was a little put off by the Berry/Contests/Happiness. Milotic was a really cool Pokemon, and when I FINALLY got myself a Feebas, it stayed a Feebas. Either way, it was a good game, and Emerald was even better. The best thing about this gen was the addition of rare Pokemon. Most patches of grass had at least one Pokemon that was extremely hard to get (Ralts, Chimeco, Absol, etc.). Addition of scarcity brings a lot more excitement to me in these games.

1st Gen was classic, and one of the most appealing features is that it is so simple. I love that every Pokemon evolves either by Stone, levelling, or straight trading. There were no crazy side things to do other than play some slots, which was not mandatory. You didn't have to chase Farfetch'd around in some forest to get Cut.

4th Gen had an OK storyline and some neat additions, but some really terrible looking Pokemon (Bidoof, Bronzor, Staravia, Buneary,...). This was a huge letdown, and the fact that EVERY patch of grass had a 70% chance of getting you a Bidoof/Bibarel or Starly/Staravia really made this the least enjoyable gen for me. Some Pokemon were annoying to get (Spiritomb), while a bunch needed AncientPower to evolve (which seems kind of pointless IMO). The graphics were better, but the Pokemon got worse.

I'm torn. I think Gen I and Gen II are about tied for first for me.

Gen I: Starting off fresh and new. "Wow, check that out! Ooh, what happens when I do this???" I was instantly charmed and have been for a decade and a half now. The sheer newness of it all was its biggest draw, I think.

Gen II: "You mean I can evolve my SEADRA???" I was hooked. I know a lot of people slam Gen II for only adding 100 new pokemon, but you've got to figure, it was the first expeansion. They had no idea how many new pokemon kids could soak up at once, so they played careful. I have to say, though, for only adding 100 they really did well at creating pokemon that would go on to become fan favorites. Plus, the thrill of defeating the Elite Four only to find I could go through Kanto again was amazing. (And shinies, YAY!)

Gen III: I think Gen III gets the short end of the stick. Part of the problem was probably the technology jump. Many, MANY fans were horribly disappointed when they found out they couldn't transfer over their Lv 100 shiny, max-stat Charizard. I have to say I was one of them. (Not Charizard, though, Espeon) Setting off through Hoenn starting in a bad mood, you're not going to enjoy it as much. Some of the pokemon were more kooky than endearing, but there were a couple gems. (Like getting a Ralts super early in the game, only to realize what a bugger it was to train at that level) If you base Hoenn off itself, and don't try to compare it to Gen II or try to see it as a failed continuation, but a fresh start, it's actually nice. I loved to OW weather, personally. That was one of my favorite features.

Gen IV: Eh. Not sure what to say about this one. They managed to keep some level of connectivity, albiet limited, so fans weren't TOO unhappy. (although having to defeat the elite four first was unhappiness) Some much-needed evolutions were finally given (Tangela and Lickitung) and some very unneeded evolutions were also given. (Duskull) Some of the pokemon are downright cute (Piplup) and some.... not so much. (Skuntank) Overall, a mixed bunch, but not horrible. I liked the world, although I really do wish at this point they'd stop having the 'mandatory one island gym town' thing. The baddies were badder than ever, this time out to destroy the whole universe. Cyrus was..... interesting. Maybe the first step toward the maturation of the audience like we're seeing in Gen V previews. Compared to him, Giovanni is not only a calm, rational person, but his generic slavery seems downright fatherly as compared to the destruction of the entire universe. :D

Gen V: ??? We'll see. So far it's looking good. Only time will tell.

EDIT: Haha, that took so long to type I got logged out.

3 > 2 > 4 > 1

Generation III is by far my favorite generation. Hoenn was absolutely beautiful and the games had a brilliant storyline. Also, Generation III had Generation I remakes; that's pretty awesome if you ask me!

Johto was pretty cool, too, and it was just revolutionary overall compared to the first generation. And my favorite Pokemon, Espeon, came from the second generation.

If it weren't for HeartGold and SoulSilver, the fourth generation would be last on my list. Haha.

I sincerely hope Generation V tops all of them though.

Back