Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Best Pokemon Cards Ever

Sabett

So, I was looking at the cube thread, and I'd like to do the same thing, but with a normal mutant draft format. There's a problem for me to make this however, I came into pokemon right after SF, so prior to DP, I don't have a clue as to what good pokemon cards are out there. I mean I know about DRE, and Gust of Wind, and Fossil Muk, but I don't have near enough knowledge to begin amassing a pile of the best cards out there. Since I know there's a handful of older players on here, I was wondering if I could get some help or suggestions as to what are the heavy hitters of the past, or some interesting cross over combos that never got to see the light of day. I will amass a list of the suggestions in the OP.

Remember any sort of awesome pokemon card, it is mutant draft, so this includes things that might've never saw competitive play simply because of the format. Like Arceus Lv.X would be a great suggestion, since in mutant draft it can go on any colorless basic, but generally any sort of awesome pokemon.

Just so it's clear to everyone, while I am making a cube out of this, have fun, and suggest anything at all you think is an awesome card.

I'll get the ball rolling, by making a skeleton, and update it as time goes on. Please note that this is not limited to the current format, it's simply where my own personal knowledge of pokemon cards lies.

:fire: Fire :fire:

Basic:

Shiny Vulpix PL

Stage 1:

Ninetails GS

Stage 2:

Gardevoir Ex
Typhlosion Prime GS

Lv.X:

Charizard G Lv.X
Infernape Lv.X
Magmortar Lv.X

:grass: Grass :grass:

Basic:

Shaymin UL

Stage 1:

Scizor LA

Stage 2:

Jumpluff GS
Meganium NG
Meganium Ex
Sceptile GE

Lv.X:

Leafeon Lv.X

:water: Water :water:

Basic:

Palkia G

Stage 1:

Abomasnow SF
Crawdunt Ex
Weavile SW

Stage 2:

Blastoise B
Feraligatr Prime GS
Kingdra Ex DR

Lv.X:

Flotzel GL Lv.X
Palkia Lv.X
Palkia G Lv.X

:fighting: Fighting :fighting:

Basic:

Diglett CG
Toxicroak G Promo

Stage 1:

Aerodactyl F
Aerodactyl NR
Aerodactyl SK
Aerodactyl [GL] RR
Claydol GE
Donphan Prime GS

Stage 2:

Kingdra Ex DF
Machamp SF
Meganium DF

Lv.X:

Lucario Lv.X

:lightning: Lightning :lightning:

Basic:

Pachirisu GE

Stage 1:

Lanturn Prime UL

Stage 2:

Lv.X:

Electivire FB Lv.X
Luxray Gl Lv.X
Raichu Lv.X

:psychic: Psychic :psychic:

Basic:

Azelf LA
Mesprit LA
Mew WP (Lilypad Mew)
Mew WP (Devolution Beam)
Mew Ex LM
Mr. Mime J
Mr. Mime MT
Unown D NDC

Uxie LA

Stage 1:

Muk PL
Slowking NG
Slowking GS

Stage 2:

Gardevoir RS
Gardevoir SW
Gardevoir PL
Gengar SF
Nidoqueen RR

Lv.X:

Gardevoir Lv.X
Mewtwo Lv.X

:colorless: Colorless :colorless:

Basic:

Chatot MD
Ditto F
Ditto RG
Dunsparce SS

Stage 1:

Blissey MT
Blissey PL
Porygon DS
Porygon GE

Stage 2:

Flygon RR
Pidgeot EX
Pidgeot RG

Lv.X:

Arceus Lv.X AR 95
Arceus Lv.X AR 96
Flygon Lv.X
Garchomp C Lv.X
Salamance Lv.X

:dark: Dark :dark:

Basic:

Sabeleye SF
Spiritomb AR

Stage 1:

Drapion SF

Stage 2:

Tyranitar Prime UL

Lv.X:

Darkrai Lv.X

:metal: Metal :metal:

Basic:

Jirachi RR
Sneasel NG

Stage 1:

Probopass AR

Stage 2:

Aggron Ex CG
Magnezone SF
Nidoqueen DF

Lv.X:

Dialga G Lv.X

:fire: :grass: :water: :fighting: :lightning: :psychic: :colorless: :dark: :metal: Multi Type :fire: :grass: :water: :fighting: :lightning: :psychic: :colorless: :dark: :metal:

Basic:

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Blastoise CG
Gardevoir DS

:thumb: Trainer :thumb:

EXP. All
Fluffy Berry
Gold Berry
Gust of Wind
Impostor Oak's Revenge
Lass
Luxury Ball
Nightly Garbage Run
Night Maintenance
Pokemon Breeder
Professor Elm
Professor Oak
Protective Orb
Rare Candy
Rocket's Sneak Attack
Sabrina's Gaze
Team Rocket's Evil Deeds

:cool: Supporter :cool:

Bebe's Search
Celio's Network
CopyCat
Holon Farmer
Holon Mentor
Lannete's Net Search
Mr. Briney's Compassion
Palmer's Contribution
Professor Birch
Professor Elm's Training Method
Professor Oak's New Theory
Professor Oak's Research
Professor Rowan
Rocket's Admin.
Roseanne's Reasearch
Volkner's Philosophy

:clap: Stadium :clap:

Battle Frontier
Broken Time Space
Cursed Stone
Giant Stump
Holon Circle
Moonlight Stadium
Narrow Gym

:pokeball: Energy :pokeball:

Call Energy
Cyclone Energy
Double Rainbow Energy
Double Colorless Energy
Holon Energy FF
Holon Energy GL
Holon Energy WP
Warp Energy

I know there's a lot more awesome cards to put up there, that are in the modified format, I just wanted to run something out there ASAP so people we could start getting suggestions in.

Last edited:
Kindra EX is good for mutant because of his power
Neo Slowking is a solid stage 1
Base Blastoise or Blastoise EX
Pidgeot FRLG
Fossil Ditto
Fossil Aerodactyl
So many trainers that I dont want to type them

Sabrinas Gaze: awsome card :>
Lannete's Net Search
CopyCat.
Mew Ex.
I assume you mean the versatile mew ex, although the psychic vision one's not that bad either. Awesome find with the net search, and sabrina's gaze, and copycat was one of those I just hadnt put up yet

Kindra EX is good for mutant because of his power
Neo Slowking is a solid stage 1
Base Blastoise or Blastoise EX
Pidgeot FRLG
Fossil Ditto
Fossil Aerodactyl
So many trainers that I dont want to type them
I should definetely look at all of these EX pokemon. Kingdra's amazing. I knew about that slowking. And I'd think I'd just want to add the base blastoise, since there's also feraligatr, to up the count of that pokepower to two, and EX's are a risk. Pidgeot is a good one. So is the ditto and aerodactyl. I appreciate the help so far, but also try to list at least a few key trainers.

You can't have fossil aerodactyl w/o promo mew (or you could do omastar MD...)
That would be good to have in there, although I could just add devoluter, but it also brought lilypad mew to my attention which is amazing.

sneasil

just cause.
You know that might be a good idea, I'm sure there aren't a terrible amount of dark basics and not each one can be ridiculously phenominal, but this one is still good.

Thanks everyone a bunch for the help! I'll update it when I get the chance and add a few more things of my knowledge to the list. :thumb:

celios network
rockets admin
proffessor elm
battle frontier
cursed stone
giant stump
holons mentor
holon farmer
holon adventurer
holon tranciever
protective orb
fluffy berry
gold berry
exp all

Kingdra ex d
Diglet CG
Giant Stump

true story
Thanks, I would've never have noticed that diglett, definetely a hidden diamond in the ruff.

celios network
rockets admin
proffessor elm
battle frontier
cursed stone
giant stump
holons mentor
holon farmer
holon adventurer
holon tranciever
protective orb
fluffy berry
gold berry
exp all
Premo stuff pat, you're my favorite too. Also there's a stadium that does the same as stump, but it cuts it down to 4, do you or anyone else remember what this stadiums called?

I dont, but I think that was in some neo set. Also, dunspace SS
Yeah, I've heard about that guy. Thanks. lol I actually remember it because I found it to be the single most useful thing that pokemons ever done.

Think I'm going to sift through the tower, in the meantime. I updated the OP btw.

I always loved Impostor Oak's Revenge and Team Rocket's Trap/Rocket's Sneak Attack.

Uxie and Claydol sorta spelled the end of that one.

I always loved Impostor Oak's Revenge and Team Rocket's Trap/Rocket's Sneak Attack.

Uxie and Claydol sorta spelled the end of that one.
Well, I think even in today's format Revenge would still be good. Also, do you mean evil deeds? I can't find team rocket's trap.

Another thing I wanted to get settled is the size of the cube.

8 People = 360 cards
12 People = 540 Cards
16 People = 720 Cards

It's not that I aim to get these many people to play all the time, the numbers just let me have a bigger pool, but I didn't want to make it too large that it would include lesser cards just to fill up spaces, although I understand pokemon has about over 5000 cards, lol so I think 16 is fine.

Did anyone mention unown d from neos. That card was one of my faves when sneasel was huge(-30 damage FTW....but they can still hit for 110 freakin' damage which was basically the motherload back then).

Did anyone mention unown d from neos. That card was one of my faves when sneasel was huge(-30 damage FTW....but they can still hit for 110 freakin' damage which was basically the motherload back then).
No, not yet, and I intend for the games to be played best of 3, so that would be a good sideboard card.

The Gym that is similar to Stump but in an earlier series is Narrow Gym: It reduced bench size to 4.

Well, I think even in today's format Revenge would still be good. Also, do you mean evil deeds? I can't find team rocket's trap.

It was a Gym Heroes card.

Team Rocket's Trap - Trainer said:
Flip a coin. If heads, choose up to 3 cards at random from your opponent's hand (don't look at them). Your opponent shuffles those cards into his or her deck.

So you IOR them down to 4, RSA and hopefully pick off a Trainer card, and then TRT the other 3. No hand left.

Base Set Alakazam - Damage Swap Rules
Base Charizard
Hitmontop Neo Discovery
Holo Energies..
Sabrina's Alakazam (Psylink Lets you use the attacks of Any Psychic type in Play)

sceptile GE and all the other wild growth guys
Dragonite delta EX
Meganium EX
Gardevoir RS, psy shadow one
The nidoqueen that heals between turns
Luvdisc CG
Porygon 2 DS

Back