Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

best way for a returning player to spend money AND get a decent amount of cards

I've been out of Pokémon since Dark Explorers, but am looking to get back into the game. I'm trying to decide how to spend my money. I have no idea what I want to play, and I'd like to have a second deck for a friend to use if possible. My first thought was to get a box of every standard format set and try to trade for anything else that I needed to finish a deck once I decided on it, but my friends are telling me to just buy single cards. I proxied out a deck (that isn't doing so well), which ended up being over 50% proxies. It was a real hassle to cut out all those too. I don't want to have to keep making decks that are over half proxy until I find what I like to buy singles for, and I want to have some bulk cards from each set. Plus, my parents owe me a box for my birthday, and people are telling me I should get Roaring Skies for obvious reasons. Is that the best choice? What should I do about the other cards / other sets? I'm thinking maybe get half a box worth of each of all the other standard sets (allowing me to make decks with few proxies), and then buy/trade for what I need to finish a deck once I decide on one.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

P.S. I wasn't sure exactly the best place for this thread, so if it doesn't belong here, feel free to move it.

a lot depends on the deck you want to make, and if you planning on doing expanded or standard, but overall a box of roaring skies is pretty good as most tournament decks are running 2-3 shaymin ex.

no matter what deck you make I suggest looking at what the various regionals used for their trainer lines and get a play set or two of those as they cover most any deck you make for this season.

I'll tell you what could very well be the best thing to do. What I tell kids at local leagues is to look over the cards I tell them and which ones they like best. Since you already know how to play, it's probably done for you, but say you like tier 1 decks that are low cost. Fortunately, Wobbuffet/Crobat fits in that category. Almost all of the local league where I play run Wobbuffet/Crobat, Gengar/Absol/Team Magma's Hideout, or Yveltal/Zoroark. If you just need trainers at a reasonable price, I advise that you might buy a Darkrai/Mewtwo Battle Arena pack. It comes with 4 sycamore, 2 n, and several different other trainers that are valid in our metagame. You may already have most of those cards, but at least you get a VS Seeker which costs $6 a piece. Hope this helps, man.

-shifty14326 on YouTube

Back