Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Better Read This (New Virus!)

Has this been verified by any of the other newsgroups? I tend not to trust FOX News too much...

Before panicking, look at where they list most of the infected computers are.

Pop, people interact with computers from all over the world all the time. The locations listed are just where the outbreaks occured first. They wouldn't be issuing the news story everywhere if it didn't mean that many people were at risk of getting the virus. Better safe than sorry anyways, and not updating your files because it is happening somewhere else is kinda stupid. Viruses should always be taken with caution, especially ones like these that actually cause harm to your computer.

my anti-virus issued warnings for nyxem some time last week, i think. i'm not really worried, considering i don't open unwanted e-mails and i don't download from people or sites i don't know. it's pretty simple to avoid a lot of viruses, really.

My Norton subscription has been expired for months! :D Y'know, all you have to do to avoid viruses is be a reasonably intelligent human being with a shred of common sense and you'll avoid 95+% of them. ;/ I know I've encountered very few in my life. If you have trouble with virus's maybe you're going places you shouldn't. ;/

Water Pokemon Master said:
Pop, people interact with computers from all over the world all the time. The locations listed are just where the outbreaks occured first. They wouldn't be issuing the news story everywhere if it didn't mean that many people were at risk of getting the virus. Better safe than sorry anyways, and not updating your files because it is happening somewhere else is kinda stupid. Viruses should always be taken with caution, especially ones like these that actually cause harm to your computer.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm not saying not to make sure that all of your virus protections are updated.
I'm just saying not to panic.
Always good advice, eh?

its an email worm. dont open attachments in emails unless you're expetcing executable attachments (which you shouldnt send through email anyway, there are better ways of doing that) and you'll be fine

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/904420.mspx

(and you should probably be flogged if you are doing that since this type of virus has been the #1 method of virus distribution for years)

P.S. if youre gonna download a free antivirus, get Avast. AVG is teh suck

Last edited:
i think this is the virus i got ... my system clock was messed up.. when my scanner kept updating saying the definitions were out of date i didnt think it was right, but i didnt think much of it... next day... on satuday night i got a window that regestry was messed with then my mouse & keyboard froze... *forced restart* and nothing happened.... all that happened was a black screen with no start-up... i finally got my computer back up with recovery cds that came with my labtop, (and calls to the geek squad at bestbuy ^_^) ...

from what ive been reading, it sounds like this new virus... im not sure thoulgh

Heh, at my school today, several of my teachers discovered they had the virus. There was some massive USB drive saving going on in almost every classroom.

If you don't know who the email is from, just delete it. It's really not that hard to avoid it unless you like opening every attachment based email. That something that I pine to receive each day!

I'd go one further than what Phil says.
If you're not expecting a file from someone, don't open it, even if you know them!
Remember, a lot of these viruses can spoof addresses, so it may look like it's coming from someone you know.

If someone sends you a file that you weren't expecting, send a message asking if they sent you a file and what it is.

Dont, don't, don't open anything if you don't know what it is.

Last edited:
PokePop said:
I'd go one further than what Phil says.
If you're not expecting a file from someone, don't open it, even if you know them!
Remember, a lot of these viruses can spoof addresses, so it may look like it's coming from someone you know.

If someone sends you a file that you weren't expecting, send a message asking if they sent you a file and what it is.

Dont, don't, don't open anything if you don't know what it is.

weird thing... i never open attachments... so i have no idea how this would have gotten on my system in the first place... i mean are they positive this one comes from email attachments only and not like the ones that are harder to avoid (like the ones that come in by ip address)

Sorry for sounding out of the loop, but there's something I've always wondered:

Why and how do viruses come to exist? Does someone create this for no personal benefit besides the agony of people they have never met and whose reactions they will never see?

And why do they distribute them? Is there money to be made or something? Being a jerk is understandable if you profit from it, but blatant, pointless meaness just doesn't make sense...

Irony bites BT in the but!
Norton just expired and dad's out of town!
Hoo-rah!
Although, I think I'll just do what Professor Chris suggested ;x.

Psycho_Lugia_X said:
Sorry for sounding out of the loop, but there's something I've always wondered:

Why and how do viruses come to exist? Does someone create this for no personal benefit besides the agony of people they have never met and whose reactions they will never see?

And why do they distribute them? Is there money to be made or something? Being a jerk is understandable if you profit from it, but blatant, pointless meaness just doesn't make sense...

i believe its other people who make them... and its sad they use their computer knowledge to make these things...

Back