Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BigChuck01's Grinder/Worlds Report

*DISCLAIMER* I'm kind of out of it, so this report might seem kinda basic and unfunny/uninteresting. Sorry in advanced, jokes, sarcasm, and F-bombs to come later!

After a rough 33rd at Nats and a whiffed rating invite, I was pretty down and out about worlds. I figured it was going to be extremely hard to grind in, and even harder to make the cut on saturday (I actually almost didnt go because mathematically it seemed less than 5% to do both). Anywho, I decided to go with Empozong. I felt it was the only deck that had an edge over GG while remaining good against the rest of the field. In playtesting vs Seena and Ness, this list was about 40-5 against GG. It was bad to the point where Seena and Jason wouldnt even play the mathcup anymore because it was "stupid and pointelss". Here's the list:

Pokemon: 22

4 Piplup
2 Prinplup
4 Empoleon
3 Bronzor
3 Bronzong
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1 Chatot
1 Absol ex

Energy: 15

7 Water
4 Call
4 Scramble

Trainers: 23

4 Celio
2 Bebes
4 Rosannes
3 Stevens
4 Candy
4 ER2
2 Warp Point

GRINDER

Round 1 vs Sally/Togekiss

I had a turn 2 splash against his lone Sally. He whiffed on basics, to I koed him turn 3 with a Surf. lame game :(

1-0

Round 2 vs Torterra/Sceptile

He opens with a turn 3 Sceptile/Tort/Claydol, I open with an Absol ex :(. I considered scooping, but he starting making some bad plays such as forgetting to Claydol, Forgetting to use Torterras power, and dropping a Dawn Stadium. I eventually got up a prize, and held out till time was called.

2-0

Round 3 vs GG w/ Dugtrio

Ugh, Dugtrio was annoying. I was able to get a splash on the Diglet before it evolved though, so I just absol/amped it for the KO later. After Dug was gone, played out like a typical GG match with me winning a close one.

3-0

Round 4 vs GG with Pachi/Cess

Since I don't run any storms, the Cess's always got to stick, which was vexing, but I eventually won a close one with a well timed absol/surf 130 on a Gallade.

4-0

Round 5 vs GG

I had such an insane start that I took all 6 prizes without playing 1 supporter! He actually played Alakazam, and we kept making jokes about his Kadabra being prized. Really cool guy.

5-0

Round 6 vs Mothim/Unown p/Gyrados

Mothim/Gyrados/Unown p

Probably my closest match at worlds this year (maybe tied with the Yamato match). I had never seen a Burmey or a Mothim before in my life before this game, so I had no idea what I was in for. He opens with Baltoy/Grass/Pass, I Piplup/Call. He retreats for a Burmey, powers a grass on it, attaches a grass, evolves to Moth, drops an unown P, places a counter on it, drops a cess, drops a beach, and KOs the Piplup. At this point I take a min to read all of these cards and figure out what just HAPPENED to me. Anywho, I eventually get a big turn of double claydol after a warp point, and send up an Empoleon which KOs 2 of his moths. With less than 10 mins left, he had 1 prize left to my 4. In the final 5 mins, I was able to absol KO a Benched Mothim, Dual Splash KO a Claydol and 2nd Mothim, and Surf a Gyrados for the 4 prizes and super close win. Great game!

6-0

Round 7 vs Blissey

He had a weak start vs my T2 Dual Splash. I was able to get 30 on all 4 Blisseys and surf each one for a OHKO. He went 0/3 on ER2, so that helped a ton :-D.

7-0

Round 8 vs Benlugia GG

Same as all of the other GG matches. Shower/Splash, Psycut, Scramble/Zong, gg. Gardy/Gallade really cant beat my list unless it runs Dugtrio.

8-0

WORLDS!

Round 1 vs GG

Typical GG with no counters to emp. Showe/Splash/Psycut. Scramble/Zong gg.

1-0

Round 2 vs Agustin with GG

Similar to game 1, but a bit rougher due to his amazing start. I also had a big whiff on a Scramble after a Claydol for 5 and Stevens for 6 :(. Eventually won at the end with an Absol/Surf.

2-0

Game 3 vs GG with Amphy and Zong

He got a T2 Claydol, but no bench to go with it, so I warped it active, and was able to get a ton of Dual Splashes off. I had over 400 damage in play at one point. Took SEVEN prizes in the last 2 turns (1 Absol ex).

3-0

Round 4 vs Anna with Empo/cess

I got a great start and she got... nothing. Benched out her Prinplup and Mew* in 4 turns. Sorry :(.

4-0

Round 5 vs Chris Fulop with Empozong

We both know that the Empozong mirror comes down to whoever gets the first Splash, so I knew I was gold when I looked at my opening hand of Water, Water, Piplup, Candy, Emp, ER2, Celio. He opened with a Pip and didnt get 2 splash untill I got 2 off, so he ended up scooping towards the end.

5-0

Round 6 vs Yamato with Gardy/Gallade/Absol/Muk/Claydol/Cess

The big game! 2002 World Champ vs 2004 World Champ! I figured I had an auto win on him due to his list being clunky and contridictory, (Cess/Claydol/Muk is a funny combo ehh?) but when I called and both Baltoy were prized, I knew I was in for a rough one. I got off to a VERY slow start, but drew into plenty of Scrambles to keep me in it. On the very last turn of the game, I needed to draw a Rosanne, Steven, or Energy out of a 24 card deck (about 12 outs in a 24 card deck, so 50/50 chance) to win... I draw... SCRAMBLE! Super close game.

6-0

Round 7 vs Yaccine with GG/Dug

Ugh, Dugtrio. He made a questionable play of using Candy on his Diglet to avoid the Dual Splash on it. Sure, it makes the Dug immune the whole game, but its hard to get a string of Gardy/Gallades + Dusknoir without Candy. I ended up winning a close one when he whiffed on a scramble to put him back into it.

7-0

Sunday

Top 32 vs Absol/Glaceon lv x

Game 1: Figured this would be a baaaaaaad matchup due to his Cess/Beach when I dont run any counters, and it was. He opened with an Absol/Cess and winded/marsed all of my good stuff while building a Glaceon lv x. I scooped about 6 turns in.

Game 2: Same as game 1, but he couldnt get any draw, so my fast Prinplup was able to bench him out turn 5ish.

Game 3: I get to go first with the monster hand of Pip/Call/Water/Candy/Empo/Baltoy/Celio. I call for basics, he ER2s the Call, Marses the Celio, and starts building a Glacion. I try to get the Empo going, but he ER2s the other energy, marses away the empo, and I procede to draw garbage. I think I would have had him if my Chatot wasnt prized, but thems the breaks :(.

Final Weekend Record: 15-1

Props all
Slops Foisy

Great playing all weekend Chuck! You should have listened to me, when I jokingly said, you ought to concede to Yacine on saturday to avoid the curse of the 1st (plus unbeaten run).

Keith

Hey man change the 17 characters and add a little bit, I got a month probation for doing that and nice little line in my profile.

Really he got up to 47 more? i thought they took away some due to some testing done before..... haha nah Great job this weekend Chuck srry that guys flipped tons of heads and got all 4 er2's out by t5. Cya at nexts years nats i guess lol

I was looking for you to finish things out on Sunday, still an impressive run! Great report as well, I kinda felt the same about playing and didn't go! Doubt I'd gone 15-0 though.......
;)

Back