Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Black And White both worth buying?

pokegrrrl

Has anyone played both black and white versions of the new game? Are they different enough to be fun to play both?

I haven't thought any of the previous generation games were different enough to be fun to play both but the difference in Black and White seem bigger... Are they as promising as they appear?

thanks!

I would say no. The games are not sufficiently different. The few differences are subtle but ignorable. They have some different battles... But the games are the same. The only big difference is the white forest and the black city. Those areas are not enough reason to buy both games... IMO at least

IMO it depends how many people in your area play Pokemon. Black City & White Forest are only any good if you communicate with other games, so if you're alone in your area they'd be virtually useless. Also, if you like Rotation Battles and Triple Battles both, it might be worth getting both so you get more of them.

IMO it depends how many people in your area play Pokemon. Black City & White Forest are only any good if you communicate with other games, so if you're alone in your area they'd be virtually useless. Also, if you like Rotation Battles and Triple Battles both, it might be worth getting both so you get more of them.
You only get like 5/6 of each in their respective games. 6 battles (at about 1 min per battle) just isn't worth my extra $40... IMO at least. You can still play both against other players... so they aren't worth paying money for to get in the "story mode". The Black City and White Forest are great... but having 1 of each game won't change them too much. You need many games to connect with to make them worth it. Having both is nice... but you aren't missing out if you don't have both. You can still transfer pokemon from past gens and you can go to the battle subway if you really want to be battling. Once again, just IMO.

Last edited:
No, there isn't enough content. Assuming you play Pokemon with friends who have the game as well you'll be fine. The exclusive areas are only good if you have access to friends with other versions. Regarding triple/rotation, there's only about 4 in game Triples in White, and the same # of Rotational in Black. You can play both over Random WiFi anyway, so it's not like one is limiting you.

The only difference I can see right off are the Triple/Rotation, Gothitelle/Reuniclus, Tornadus/Thunderus, and possibly Escavalier/Accelgor. I don't know about the last one, but there are only subtle differences. I'd pick one or the other.
(Note, I'm not pointing out obvious differences like the forest and city.)
-David

Can you afford both? Do you want the pokemon you can only get on one and not the other? Do you want to do the story mode twice? A few questions to ask yourself to help decide.

I know I will be buying both as both my son and I will be playing one. He of course gets the pokemon and I ususally restart my game after aquiring them. So for us it is worth while.

My suggestion is, weigh out your options, make sure you have enough for both(if you want to buy both) , and just make sure you want to, i'm neutral on the idea of buying both though

I usually buy both, since I like to keep one with all my Pokemon saved, and another that I can restart at will and play through with whatever pokemon i feel like using differently at the time. (Such as Slugma in HGSS!).

Edit: Thats almost the same as I posted :( VVV

Last edited:
I'll usually buy both, use one as storage / main game / training, and the other for nothing but Speed Runs.

I'm not saying that both are worth buying but I'm getting both just because I have ever other pokemon game but Blue and there isn't anyone else in my town that plays pokemon. So if I plan on getting all of the new ones, I have to play by myself :). Plus like the other have said, I like to have one with all of my good pokes so I can restart the onther and play it all over.

Black Vs. White

I'm only buying one, but I can't find a really good list of the differeces between them.

Other then the ledgendaries, are there any signifigant Pokemon differences?
Is there any story difference in the game?
What is the Black City and White Forest and how different are they?
I know one has more 3 v 3 and the other has more rotations, which ones?
Are there any other differences I should know about?

Thanks in advance

I'm only buying one, but I can't find a really good list of the differeces between them.

Other then the ledgendaries, are there any signifigant Pokemon differences?

Nothing huge. Black has Gothitelle and White has Reuniculus, that's the most significant one I can think of.

Is there any story difference in the game?

Not really, apart from Reshiram/Zekrom stuff

What is the Black City and White Forest and how different are they?

They are very different. Black has Trainer battles and shops, White has wild Pokemon and stuff to find

I know one has more 3 v 3 and the other has more rotations, which ones?

Black is the one with rotation battles. There aren't that many though so . . .

Are there any other differences I should know about?

Thanks in advance

Black gets Houndoom after the Elite 4
The last gym has different leaders (but the same Pokemon)

They are very different. Black has Trainer battles and shops, White has wild Pokemon and stuff to find

Black gets Houndoom after the Elite 4

Are the Pokemon in the White Forest exclusive to that area?

Also do you know what White gets after the Elite 4?

I bought just one for now, but I do plan on eventually getting the other (when on sale) so I can transfer stuff about between the 2.

Back