Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Black Friday MADNESS

pat460

So, I waited in line at Best Buy for 19 hours on Thursday/Friday. Got rediculous non advertised deals. All together, I got 2 10gb flash drives, a Sony laptop(4gb RAM, 500GB HD, 2.1 MHz Processor), a HP laptop(dont know the specs, it was a friends', but he wasn't there, so I picked it up for him w/his money. I think it was like 2GB RAM 250GB HD or something like that.), a 20" flatscreen monitor, and a Zune HD all for about $800.

Best Buy was not a pleasant expiriance, however. The line was going fine until about 8:00 PM Thursday. Thats when some people with a power generator showed up. I personally had no problem with it, but it caused arguments due to noise and smog. Then, when the doors were getting ready to open, Best Buy employees came out to hand out vouchers for the door buster deals. This is where it truely began to fall apart. There was no organization at all. People completely disregarded the order that the line was in for over 28 hours and just ran up to the front when the vouchers started to be passed out. Then, some guy was yelling to employees about how some people were selling vouchers, and got some guy arrested for harassment or something. He was being very unpleasant, and was a big factor in why it wasn't a pleasant expiriance

Once we got in, it was better. There was an annoying maze type thing you had to walk through to get the doorbusters with your vouchers, so my mom waited in that line with a cart while i ran around the store(literally) with a basket. Twas a mad house, I say, a mad house, but that was cool in a way.

So, Black Friday stories?

My older sister and I stood in line at ToysRUs for an hour getting what else but Pokemon tins. Needless to say, we had a nostalgia trip. :biggrin:

Black Friday brings out the worst in greedy, selfish people. My mom went out very early only once in Black Friday, and only because she was getting myself and my two brothers our first Gameboys. =) Last year a Best Buy(I think?) employee was killed from being trampled. It's really pathetic. I think 5 people a year die here in VA due to Black Friday madness.

One guy at a store I went to got arrested for trying to stab someone with a pocket knife.

Black Friday brings out the worst in greedy, selfish people. My mom went out very early only once in Black Friday, and only because she was getting myself and my two brothers our first Gameboys. =) Last year a Best Buy(I think?) employee was killed from being trampled. It's really pathetic. I think 5 people a year die here in VA due to Black Friday madness.

Just for clarification, it was Wal-Mart where the employee got trampled.

I have barely ever been out on Black Friday. I do not plan to ever again.

Two years ago, I waited outside of Best Buy for 6-8 hours. By 4:30 am, I saw people at the front of the line selling their spots to anyone who wants to pay and be the first one in line. The first ones in line had their choices for which vouchers they want. They limit 1-2 vouchers for each person. So if you want more, you have to bring friends and relatives. We got an 52 in. plasma 1080i HDTV for $800. We barely miss out on a laptop for $150.

So, I waited in line at Best Buy for 19 hours on Thursday/Friday. Got rediculous non advertised deals. All together, I got 2 10gb flash drives, a Sony laptop(4gb RAM, 500GB HD, 2.1 MHz Processor), a HP laptop(dont know the specs, it was a friends', but he wasn't there, so I picked it up for him w/his money. I think it was like 2GB RAM 250GB HD or something like that.), a 20" flatscreen monitor, and a Zune HD all for about $800.

Best Buy was not a pleasant expiriance, however. The line was going fine until about 8:00 PM Thursday. Thats when some people with a power generator showed up. I personally had no problem with it, but it caused arguments due to noise and smog. Then, when the doors were getting ready to open, Best Buy employees came out to hand out vouchers for the door buster deals. This is where it truely began to fall apart. There was no organization at all. People completely disregarded the order that the line was in for over 28 hours and just ran up to the front when the vouchers started to be passed out. Then, some guy was yelling to employees about how some people were selling vouchers, and got some guy arrested for harassment or something. He was being very unpleasant, and was a big factor in why it wasn't a pleasant expiriance

Once we got in, it was better. There was an annoying maze type thing you had to walk through to get the doorbusters with your vouchers, so my mom waited in that line with a cart while i ran around the store(literally) with a basket. Twas a mad house, I say, a mad house, but that was cool in a way.

So, Black Friday stories?

I just went to BestBuy.com to buy what I wanted. It cost a bit more because of shipping, but I got the same deal as if I had gotten up at an insane time. It was also a lot less stressful and quite pleasant. :biggrin:

Drew

i found a whole box of platinum unopened laying in the parking lot at the back of toys r us while i was going in for some packs, needless to say its in my room still sealed. nuff said once again

I went to Walmart and there were almost no people! It was in a small, Connecticut town, but they must have expected lines since there were balloons saying "line starts here" a good hundred feet from the line! I shared a purchase of an Arceus tin with my brother - he got Charizard G X and I got Arceus X!

energy drink fueled rampage at its finest... but sadly I didn't get to go this year because cities had to be at my league later that morning :frown: next year i'm coming with a vengeance.

Unfortunately, for some people Black Friday is the only time they can afford some of the things that many others take for granted. I can't blame these people for truly taking advantage of the opportunity, it's just disappointing that there are so many who impose themselves and make it a horrific experience for everyone.

I got to work for black Friday (BTW - Retail workers call it Green Friday) Our toys r us had the longest line in Utah history.
before we opened, we handed out tickets to the first 100 people in line who where waiting for this years toy of the year - zhuzhu pets. The line then stretched past the exit to the store, around to the side pick up door, up the sidewalk to the Taco bell, curved around the Taco bell and past the Wendy's and the end of the line was behind the Red Lobster.

The Salt Lake City police declared it "Riot" Status and there was a riot team in wait just in case.

Even after we had been open for an hour, the line still was going around the store and out to the taco bell - if you where to get in line at this point, it would be a 45 minute wait just to get inside. The deals where alright, but nothing i would get in line for.

The main reason for the insanity was for several reasons:
1 - Toys R Us was open at 12AM Midnight, a whole 4-5 hours before anybody else
2 - Toys R Us does all their scheduling on a NATIONAL level, and the average amount of employees on a cash register was 5 employees per store. Our store broke that rule and had 12 people doing check out. Also, if you needed to make a return, you would be turned away until 1PM that day.
3 - Toys R Us stores prepare their stores the week prior to set the product in the aisles and how to set the line control. If you receive emails from Toys R Us, you would know that on Thanksgiving morning, an email was sent nationally saying "Unadvertised deals". This was a pain for employees as they had to reset the entire store THE NIGHT OF BLACK FRIDAY as they changed how many sale items there where. This was a surprise for the entire company.
4 - Some stores (Mine including) was under brand new management. The new manager for my store had worked for 4 days prior to Black Friday.
5 - Most stores did not get their "Black Friday" truck of just product that was in the sale. only about 40% of toys r us stores received their product before the doomed day.

This is just what was given out to Toys R Us employees and from what i saw myself as i am on the stocking and receiving crew at Toys R Us.

Hope that gave some insight on what may or may not have happened at your toys r us, but those lines where crazy at my store.

~ulti

ultimatedra, after reading your post, I now understand why i found a full box laying on the ground. It was one of the boxes with the display boosters in it, you know the ones with the cardboard backs and clear plastic casing. Toys R Us was chaos the day I went here in Florida too

hopefully they didnt have twilight saga new moon stuff there cause there would be no place to hide everyone from every direction people coming at to get all of the stuff cause i bet out of that hole line at least half of those people for green friday would be into twilight

me on the other hand dont like twilight

Back