Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Bolt's CC Experience

Bolt

So there won't be much game detail, since I didn't keep track of too much.

I had played Torterra/Sceptile through all of Battle Roads, picking up two 2nd place finishes and a less-than-stellar 2-3 at a third. I decided to pin that on bad luck and me and Omar (IamMexican) changed a couple cards and continued to play the deck.

Cedar Grove, NJ - Torterra/Sceptile
I went 4-1 through swiss, losing only to five double tails on Dialga Lv X's time skip. My loss in top 4 made me realize that the deck has a rough time when opening Azelf against Dusknoir. I felt that it was still very strong though, and Omar showed me his newest list which was like...1 card different, so I played it again.
Finish: 4-1, 4th

Seaford, NY - Torterra/Sceptile
I went out to Mikey's (Magnechu) house for the weekend and we hit up Seaford, Long Island. Things were looking alright until round 2 when Mikey beat me in a close one with Regigigiosihgois. Went downhill from there, losing my next two games to Raichu/Electivire (a game where I just played flat out bad, mismanaging things like Night Maintenence and energy drops) and Gengar. It was after this tournament that I decided the deck was too reliant on big stage 2's for my preference and finally dropped it. Props to Omar and Greg for keeping up with it and winning tons of games :smile: That night I decided to go with something faster, so I threw together an untested Kingdra list and went with it. Bad idea of the year!
Finish: 1-3

Pawtucket, RI - Kingdra
I looked around and saw a bunch of lightning decks, so I wasn't expecting much of myself here. But I still managed to pull out the worst finish ever in my Pokemon career. Round 1 I get paired against Raichu, Round 2 I'm turn 1'd by Machamp, Round 3 I win vs a Miltank? deck, Round 4 I lose to turn one dusknoir AND gengar, Round 5 I lose to Tangrowth/Sceptile. NOTHING was on my side this day.
Finish: 1-4

During the week, me and Mikey took a look at the Metagame, and took note of a previously attempted concept - Abomasnow/Bronzong. We worked with Jimmy Ballard on a solid, consistent list and the three of us took it to our City Championships with different lists. Only I ran Cresselia Lv X, only Mikey ran Claydol, and Jimmy ran neither...maybe some tech trainers? I dunno.

New York City, NY - Abomasnow/Bronzong
I had some amazing games on the day, and managed to pull out wins vs a Raichu teched with Unown V (so annoying!) and an Armaldo deck. People still ask me how I managed to beat a deck I can't damage. He had a fairly slow start and I capitalized, KOing the 4 non-Armaldo Pokemon that hit the field. My last 2 prizes were taken when I De-evolved an Armaldo to a Claw Fossil and played Warp Point to bring it up and KO it with Cresselia. I ended up playing TERRIBLY in top 8 though and saw what was probably my best chance to win a CC slip through my fingers. Mikey went 5-0 drop with the deck, Jimmy I believe went 4-1 and finished 2nd.
Finish: 4-1, top 8

Selden, NY - Regigigas
During the week, Mikey and I realized that we may have just completely changed the metagame here. We went on the assumption that there'd be some Abomasnow around now, as well as Kingdra which Diaz won undefeated with the week before. I talked to Mike Pramawat (SHPanda) during the week and he showed me his insane (insanely flippy) Regigigas list. I love playing flip cards, so I went with it. Mikey went with a different Gigas list than the one he used at Seaford. He went 4-1 and missed the cut at 5th, I went 4-1 (my loss being round 1 where my Unown Q was turn 1'd by Uxie) having to beat a Machamp in round 4 to do so. I win top 4 against Raichu hitting CRUCIAL flips throughout game 2, and take the finals vs Frankie Durso's Machamp to a game 3 sudden death.
Finish: 4-1, 2nd

Brooklyn, NY - Regigigas
Talked to Ryan Vergel before this one and decided to try out Warp Energy, which worked amazingly. Didn't do so well overall though, losing to COMPLETELY dead draws vs Diaz round 1 and an ugly game vs Machamp round 5.
Finish: 3-2, 9th

I actually get a hold of SHAW (ShawofMordor) and plan a trip out there like a day before. He hasn't touched a card since Nats.

Burlington, NJ - Regigigas
Pramawat and I had been talking about ways to get around Mewtwo Lv X (and Machamp to a lesser extent). So we both end up running the same exact list with about 5 major card differences. This CC turns out to be huge, with 66 Masters showing up. Since we don't run 7 rounds, a few 4-2s miss. I missed at 5th (UGH), losing once again to bad draws and Machamp. Round 1 my lone Unown G vs t2 Gengar, Round 6 to Machamp. Shaw also went 4-2 whiff, and we both bought some clothes at this store having a closeout sale. I borrow a TON of cards to play Abomasnow tomorrow. (Thanks Jimmy and Drew)
Finish: 4-2, 5th

Conshohocken, PA - Abomasnow/Bronzong
My mistake here ended up being not running Cresselia over the 3rd Bronzong. My swiss loss here was to Regigigas by 10 damage on the last turn of the game. I lost in top 4 to Machamp - Game 1 I prized THREE Abomasnow (should've conceded the game faster). Game 2 I just didn't play the game right because I needed to pick up four prizes before time. Cresselia, again, would've won me the game as I was 10 damage short of KOing a benched Machop.
Finish: 3-1, 3rd

I had a fun Cities experience, overall. Disappointed that I didn't win one this year, and ESPECIALLY disappointed at that one 2-7 weekend. I feel that at this point of playing I shouldn't be having entire weekends like that. The 3-2s I can live with - some games just aren't winnable. I guess it feels like two or three of those tournaments were very winnable. I'll playtest more before States and get it DONE. :smile:

Thanks to everyone who helped make everything so fun, and the game in general. You know who you are!

That really sucks big time, Daddy.

Hope you would recover big time at States.

Cya, THE jadester.

Back