Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Broken Time Space

tommynguyen

I am returning to the game, so I am unfamiliar with the rulings and such. My question is.. If my opponent had set 1 gastly as his active, and 2 gastly on his bench at the very beginning of the game, and he ends up going second. Can he evolve the gastly into haunter, then into gengar right away, even though it is the first turn? During regionals, the judge ruled that as correct and I'm utterly confused.

The card reads, Each player may evolve a pokemon that he or she just played, or evolved during that turn.

Both judges confirmed that BTS "breaks" the evolution rule. Even if that is correct..

1. Gastly was not played from his hand onto his bench when it was his turn, but rather at the beginning of the game.

2. Even if it breaks the evolution rule, it was the first turn, so is evolving gastly even possible?

3. Even if all of the above is confirmed, how was it that the gastly that was just laid down that turn, evolve into haunter, then into gengar?

If this ruling is incorrect, what might have been the scenario that caused both judges to think that gastly could evolve into haunter, then gengar.

Last edited:
You can't evolve normally on your first turn, even if you go second.
But effects get around that rule, including the effect of BTS.

The judges were correct.

Back