Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Calling all Judges and Professors -- Pokemon ex and Babies?

Hello my Professor Friends,

I would appreciate any comments you have on this subject.
I have not actually seen these covered anywhere OFFICIALLY yet:
(The silence will end soon...September is coming...)

Can Aquapolis Tyrogue evolve into Hitmonchan ex?
Or any other Pokemon ex be placed upon a baby?

As far as I know, "Hitmonchan ex" is a different name than
"Hitmonchan." Like "Misty's Seadra" is named differently
than "Seadra."

Tyrogue Aquapolis says on the card itself:
"Evolves into Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, or Hitmontop"
"Put Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, or Hitmontop on the Baby Pokemon"

So I think that would exclude "Hitmonchan ex."
So I would answer no to that question.

Also, can we put 4 Electabuzz ex and 4 Electabuzz into the same deck?
Or 4 Mewtwo ex and 4 Mewtwo?

We have been allowed to put 4 "Misty's Seadras" and 4 "Seadras"
into the same deck, because they have different names,
so we should be able to put 4 "Mewtwo" and 4 "Mewtwo ex"
into the same deck for the same reason that the "ex" on
the end makes it a different name.

So I would answer yes to that question.

As far as I know, that's the case. No evo for Tyrogue. Also, ex's and regular count as seperate cards.

Last edited:
I wouldn't allow Tyrouge-Hitmon EX, because of the EX. I'd also allow 4 'buzz and 4 'buzz EX, for the same reason. Diff names. Makes ALL the difference...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In technical terms, the game checks the name of the card to make sure it's a legal move, in both cases. If the game finds that the names are different than what's needed, it'll allow/disallow the move accordingly...

IF "Tyrogue" ATTEMPTS TO EVOLVE
THEN check "Name"
IF "Name" = "Hitmonchan", "Hitmontop",
Hitmonlee"
THEN
EVOLVE Tyrogue.
IF "Name" ≠ "Hitmonchan", "Hitmontop",
Hitmonlee"
THEN
DO NOT EVOLVE Tyrogue

Similar "coding" for the 'Buzz prob.

Last edited:
Well since in EX:Sandstorm, a regular Pikachu can evolve into Raichu ex, it's safe to say that yes regular pokémon can evolve into "ex" pokémon. But, not vice-versa, so Chansey ex cannot evolve into Blissey.

And yes you can have 4 Electabuzz and 4 Electabuzz ex in the same deck.

It depend on how the text printed on the card.

I believe the Raichu EX card will has "Evolve from Pikachu" print on the card. So evolving Raichu EX is controlled by the text on the Raichu EX.

While evolving baby, it is controlled by the text on the baby card. The text on the Tyrouge do not include Hitmochan EX, so it can't evolve to Hitmonchan EX.

The above is only my guess. Nintendo may have new rule on this. I am wondering where we can get any official rule from Nintendo. We can't get any conclusion until we see the real Raichu EX card. In this moment, I will say baby can't evolve to EX.

Last edited:
Like DOMCGI said, and as WoTC has been telling us for years, unless there is a ruling otherwise, you play the cards as per the text on the card. Tyrouge states it can evolve into Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee or Hitmontop. I'm not seeing any Ex after those names.

It's possible in the future Nintendo may print, say, an Elekid with text saying "evolves into Electabuzz OR Electabuzz Ex" (though if the translations we are seeing are any indication, this is becoming a Pokemon Power, or Poke-Body, or something like that in the future) but for right now, until there is an "Official" Nintendo ruling, I'm going to be ruling that you cannot evolve a baby into an Ex version.

Back