Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Canada;seniors;top 8.

moose101

Nationals was 3 days ago and I have a bad memory so match descriptions may not be 100% accurate.
I will skip the boring part of the plane ride and such. Why don't I start with the deck.

For Canadian Nationals, I ran Klinklang Vileplume. I had a lot of help from a friend Murray who gave me a basic list and told me how it works. At first I was kind of skeptical because it is difficult to set up two stage 2s. I built the deck anyways, as a fun league deck, and found that it was better than expected. I took a chance and used it at a Battle Road and ended up winning. At this point, I realized how consistent it is in swiss. I decided to use it for Nationals because in Canada, it is usually a Top 8 cut for seniors and If I could make it past swiss, and face an easy matchup in top 8, then I get an invite.

We get at the hotel at around 11:15pm the day before Nationals and go to bed. The next morning, we go downstairs to the playing area and wait in line to get registered. This took about 30minutes according to my bad sense of time. After I hand in my decklist, I see a list of people with Byes from Provincals and Regionals. I know that I didn't have a Bye because they don't pass down (I got 3rd at Provs and Top 2 were american) but my name was on it :eek:. I realize that I hadn't written "Bye" on my decklist so I go back to the deck checkers and tell them that I forgot to write that I had a Bye on my decklist. They gave me the Bye. Then I wait around with Connor, Jack, Kabir, and Ricky as they try to get a T2 Night Spear.

They end registration and put up a roster, then pairings. Everyone is seated, except those with Byes, and they start announcements.

R1 vs Bye.
I go up to my room and eat Tim Hortons cookies. Then go downstairs and listen to people who say how overpriced the hotel breakfast is.
1-0

R2 vs a person w/Zekeels Terrakion
The advantage to playing rogue is that not many people know how to play against it. That is exactly what happened here. I go first and get set up. I get Vileplume and Klinklang up pretty quickly and start attacking with Groudon EX. At the end I win by 2 prizes.
2-0

R3 vs another person w/CMT
Not an easy matchup unless I can get the Turn 2 Vileplume. I get it, and a Klang. I have to sack a bunch of Pokemon for energies and he tanks 2 Mewtwo. I start with Darkrai, being cautious about Terrakion. In the end, I N him to 1 and take my last prizes with Mewtwo.
3-0

R4 vs another person w/Reshiphlosion
With all my games of Klinklang Vileplume, none of them have ever went to time. I thought that this one would. I'm not accusing anyone of stalling but if you have to check what Vileplume does twice or take 3 minutes to say pass. I get a T2 plume and just OHKO everything with Kyurem EX. I win pretty easily.
4-0

R5 vs Bob w/Darkrai!
He denied me the Turn 2 Plume with his awesome cutting skills. I get it up eventually and he has 4 prizes left. I set up Terrakions to hit his Darkrais and keep seekers in hand. I win on a close one.
5-0

R6 vs Chasem w/Darkrai!
I prize 2 Oddish :thumb:. I try to take prizes but he rushes with his infinite Darkrais. Not a very close game.
5-1
We begin to organize our decks at that table talking about how silly the Juniors are since the top table is right next to a Juniors table.

After about 15 minutes, the rankings go up and it looks like this:
1-Chasem
2-Iforget
3-Me
4-Jacquep
5-Andye
6-Hamzz
7-Jawshp
8-Kabeerv
Sorry if I have spelled your name wrong.

They gather the top 8 for Juniors and Seniors and make us hand in our decks.
I go up to my room and rebuild my deck to playtest it.

DAY 2
Top cut!
I go down at exactly the time they asked us to be there and get seated.

Top 8 vs Hamzz w/Zekeels Terrakion
G1- I go first and set up as best I can. Don't really remember details but I take prizes late and N him to 2 and KO something with Darkrai. Of course, he has a PONT and gets Terrakion fighting for the win.

G2- I choose to go first and get set up. I am forced to evolve to klinklang without a Vileplume up. When I do get it up, Klinklang has 10 HP left and I am forced to seeker to attack that turn and he brings up an Eel that evolved from the sniping Tynamo. He has 1 prize to my 2 as I just KOed his Tynamo with Groudon. He plays down a Raikou and I have to seeker my Klink. He snipes Vileplume so its at 20 left. I N him to 1 and attack with Mewtwo for 40. He dynamotors to his bench and passes. If he pulls the Shaymin before I get a seeker or energies then I lose. I do another 40 and he dynamotors and passes. I do another 40 and he tops a PONT but whiffs on Shaymin. If I top an energy, I win. I don't and do 40 more hoping he doesn't have a way to get shaymin. He has Juniper and draws the rest of his deck. Gets shaymin, and wins.
0-2

So I lose in top 8 but I get 10 CP putting me at 56. This puts me in 42nd place...:nonono:
Jacquep, Kabeerv, and Jawshp also lose. I sell some of my packs and watch Jacquep and Connerc playtest old decks.

Thats the end of it.

Props
-making Top 8
-unexpected Bye
-British Columbia
-Simon for asking me repeatedly to write this
-Murray for the deck idea
-British Columbians
-Planes
-Canada
-Pizza for everyone

Slops
-No invite
-No ranking passdowns

Congrats on top 8! It was great meeting you and the BC players! Sorry about whiffing that worlds invite. I somehow managed to invite through rankings as well. (I'm your top 8 opponent)

Sighmon-It took me several minutes to write this, just so you know

Jacque- JACK DID YOU WIN?!?!

Julan-Thanks, soo close to that invite

Hamzz-Thanks, too bad you didn't get the trip.

Psyduck-Thanks, how did you do?

Hairyson-I didn't meet you either :p

Sorry if I spelled your name incorrectly...

Er If I could I would pass my invite down to you cause your going anyways I have 2 invites through nats and rankings.

1-Chasem (Chase M
2-Iforget (Josh M)
3-Me
4-Jacquep (jack P)
5-Andye (andrew E)
6-Hamzz (Hamza K)
7-Jawshp (Josh P (me)
8-Kabeerv (Kabir V)

Think that's what you meant with the names.

Back