Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Canada visits Europe(an Cup). Top16 Report

ATJdragon

Pre-tournament
So I'm on a massive eurotrip starting in germany and ending in italy. I'm visiting 4 countries and have already taken part in yugioh championship series bochum germany and oktoberfest! My next stop, eurocup prague.

In preparation of this tournament I was told europeans don't run SP. No particular reason why, just a different metagame. I'm most comfortable with sp as I'm not used to playing evolution decks without claydol. As I'm on vacation and don't have an exorbant amount of time to playtest, in the back of my mind I decided on SPs....just depends on which build.

Leading up to the tournament, sebastian crema was definitely pro-sp. Matt koo was indifferent. Curtis was backing dialgachomp or gechamp. Henry and bidier were anti-sp. Quite the range.

I had more or less ran sebastian-style sps in the past so I ended up running a deck most similar to his despite not actually seeing each others list or playing each other lol.

My decks' matchups vs other stuff:
Luxchomp mirrror: favorable, I have a lot of tech and am used to sp mirrors. Euroes may not
Dialgachomp: slightly favorable
Sableblock: slightly unfavored
Machamp: unfavored, I hope this gets eliminated early
Vileplume variant: play good and ill win
Everything else: I expect to win

Tournament:

7 rounds top 16

Round 1: vs Kingdra/Machamp (Andrea Leoni)

He had a slow start and i flash impacted 2 of his Machop. By the time he had a machamp i was 2 prizes ahead and just won the prize race.

1-0

Round 2: vs Luxchomp (Miguel Garcia, Top 4'd Worlds Masters)

We get the video feature match this game that will be posted shortly. I will provide the link when it becomes available to me. player interview for miguel and i are available as well.

(i believe this is what happened, i recall the attacks that were used. not so much energy/trainer/supporter that turn)
-He goes first and opens garchomp C with call energy. he has a benched bronzong and calls for chatot and luxray. im guessing he has a bad hand
-i have chatot with blaziken fb on the bench. i collector for dragonite fb, garchomp c, and ambipom g. i figure im good to go unless he drops garchomp C and DCE with like 4 cards in hand. i bench garchomp w/ an energy and pass (as i have cyrus in hand)
-he drops garchomp X and dce =( and benches 2 luxray. kos my garchomp
-i push up ambipom g w/ an energy gain. bench a dragonite and attach an energy. i tail code the call on garchomp onto chatot.
- he retreats garchomp and mimics.
- i attach fire energy to blaziken and luring flame his bronzong
- he turns the bronzong and pushes up chatot to mimic again
-i level up to blaziken X and use jet shoot on chatot.
-he pushes up promocroak for the ko.
-i push up garchomp c X and dragon rush his luxray
-i spray his leap away. he poison revenges for 70.
-i retreat for chatot and mimic for 9
-he tries to leap away and rolsl tails. he poketurns his promocroak and pushes up ambipom and snap attacks my chatot for ko.
-i attempt to bright look but he sprays. i turn and use my damaged garchomp c X to dragon rush ambipom
-he uses galactic switch onto luxray (lightning + call) and uses flash impact ko'in my garchomp c X putting 3 on bronzong (so its at 5)
-i use bright look successfully next turn and target his garchomp C. i push up ambipom g and snap attack for ko
-he uses galactic switch again (putting bronzong with 20 hp left) and uses mach blow with dragonite for ko.
-i bench my crobat g. 10 to bronzong. i cyrus for poketurn. miguel scoops as i have dragonite onn bench with a lightning and dce

obviously, putting the 30 from flash impact onto bronzong cost him game as i shouldve lost the prize trade.

2-0

Now there is a 1.5 hour break for lunch....

Round 3: vs Dialgachomp (Tobias)

I play this game horribly. a bad decision early game cost me the match. i was visibly upset that i played so bad.

2-1

Round 4: vs Luxchomp (Emmanuelle Cremascoli)

I dont get a supporter till after i take my 2nd prize. once i do, i get going i just win when i bench dragonite fb and he asks what it does

3-1

Round 5: vs (Jumpluff)

I have a horrible start. i open chatot and hes 1 or 2 basics away from donking me. i cyrus for sp radar and collector. sp radar for garchomp so i dont lose next turn. i eventually lose the prize race by 2 as manages to make a 4th jumpluff that i couldnt deal with.

3-2 =(

Round 6: vs Blaziken FB/Garchomp C/Luxray Gl LvX (oscar)

He opens zangoose and i open driflim. essentialyl he has a bad hand and i win the prize race.

4-2

Round 7: vs dialgachomp (Ryan)

I donk him with Dragonite Fb on his ambipom G

5-2

I finish in 10th place in Swiss. I play against Machamp in T16

Top 16: vs Machamp/ditto/umbreon

This is the video feature match and player interview to follow as well =)

G1: he has turn 1 machamp and i cant recover =(
G2: he has turn 2 machamp and i cant recover =(

BBBBBBBAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
In hindsight, im glad i stuck with my techs. I didnt need dialga as didnt run into any vileplume. like 2/3rds of the t16 was SPs, unfortunate i get paired against one of the 2 champ decks in the t16. all in all a decent tournament, just maybe a little slow.

Props
-Eurotrip!!!!!!
-sebastian crema for convincing me to stick with luxchomp for the tournament
-bidier, henry, curtis, and koo for supporting me despite not running the deck they recommended
-merlin for driving and coming with me to prague even tho he had never played pokemon before wednesday lol
-all the friendly euroes =) (such as miguel, rosalba, etc...)
-t16
-getting 2 video features and 2 post-game interviews. AND another interview cause i was the only non-european at the tournament
-dragonite FB
-united gosus

Slops
-machamp
-the euroes that were supposed to be there (you know who u are!)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol wouldve been boss if i won. unfortunately i got machampd out of the tournament, therefore i only consider my performance just 'adequate'

Last edited:
Sick job, you repped Canada and Non-Europe well lol. sucks you ran into machamp, that's why you run abomasnow lol. cya when you get back to BC

Back