Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cards I could see that could potentially be playable

Chompy

After looking at all of the scans, there are some cards that could have some potential of actually changing the metagame alltogether.

Here are the list

:grass:

Leavanny- Not an attacker, but a card that sits on the bench to remove any weakness. Decks like Gothitelle and Reshiphlosion could use Leavanny as a tech, doesn't mean it's mandatory to put in the deck. One issue that it does have is the 2 retreat cost, and it's catcher bait.

Virizion- As a possible starter and a possible water counter against Pokemon like Seismitoad, Beartic, Vanilluxe, etc. Only problem is it's weak to Fire, meaning Reshiram can OHKO it with Outrage, or Typhlosion Prime can OHKO it as well.

:fire:

Vicitini (Fliptini)- It can work in many decks, such as Sharpedo , Magmortar, Exeggutor, and the list can go on and on. Again, a card that just sits there on the bench and not meant to be an attacker what so ever.

:water:

Seismitoad- Right now, the deck itself is rather slow and Virizion could give it some problems (Being that it's -20 resistance and it has a grass weakness). The one thing it does have is it can OHKO Gothitelle if you can get 4 Pokemon in play with the "Round" attack. The fact that it has 140 HP means that Reshiram and Zekrom need 2 PP to OHKO a bulky Pokemon like Seismitoad. Also, it can OHKO Donphan if you have 3 Pokemon with "Round" attack in play, where as Donphan takes 2-3 hits to KO Seismitoad.

Vanilluxe- Personally, I would call this deck the VvV (Vision Valor Victory). Victini has Victory, Vileplume has defense Valor (Defense), and Vanilluxe has Vision. What is the premise of the deck? Well, it's to use Vanilluxe as it's primary attacker, which you basically spam the "double freeze" attack to potentially paralyze them every turn if you get 1 heads until the player is knocked out! If you paralyze them, your opponent can no longer play cards like Switch or Full Heal with Vileplume in play. As for Victini, if you fail on the coin flips, you can always use Victini's Ability "Victory Star' to re-flip the coins to try to paralyze them. Watch out for Steel Type Pokemon as they could potentially OHKO Vanilluxe.

Crygonal- A Donphan tech basically. Meaning your dealing 140-20=120 damage to Donphan for 2 energies. Other than that, he's basically useless against other decks.

Kyurem- A Donphan/Reshiphlosion counter and can spread 30 damage to your opponents Pokemon. Remember how Yanmega can safely retreat without taking damage on the bench? Well, now that you can spread damage on the Yanmegas, they are no longer safe and retreating is basically useless. Also, you can OHKO the baby Pokemon that are sitting on the bench and score multiple prize cards that way.

:lightning:

Eletrik: A possible 1-1 tech you can throw in the Zekrom deck if you find that it's running out of steam, you can always grab an electric energy from your discard pile and attach it onto the bench. Keep in mind that adding in more techs could potentially ruin the consistency of the ZPST deck, so you might want to think about if for a few seconds before putting it in the deck.

:psychic:

Chandelure: I have mixed feelings about this card. On one hand it can be an annoying card once it sets up, but on the other hand it's very slow it seems. If only it was a PCC, then it could've been a metagame threat. Although, the cursed shadow has a unique effect, being able to place 3 damage counters on your opponents bench in anyway you like, meaning you can OHKO the baby Pokemon, and help you score some important knock outs. Being that it requires 3 energies for 50 is very low, but it does have the burn + confuse combo. The only problem with that is your opponent can evolve it or play a switch card to remove the special conditions. If you put Vileplume in the deck along with Reuniclus, Chandelure can wreck some major havoc once it sets up that is. Imagine using the Eerie Glow attack against a trapped Magnezone :)

:fighting:

Archeops: What an amazing ability, to be able to prevent both players from ever evolving as long as Archeops is in play. The problem? Well, you need the Plume fossil to dig the bottom 7 from your deck and hope that you find Archen in the deck. Also, if Gothitelle or Vileplume get into play, you'll have no way of ever getting Archeops into play on time. Retreat cost of 2 is a lot, it's catcher bait. and it's attack for 3 energies is nothing to brag about.

Terrakion: One of the musketeer dog Pokemon and Bouffalant Jr. . This Pokemon could potentially be a trouble maker against Zekrom and Hydreigon. The fact that Terrakion can have the evolite tool on it means that it's going to be a very bulky Pokemon to take down. Also, Grass is not really popular, so having a grass weakness isn't so bad (Unless Virizion gets popular(. Only problem is Pokemon like Yanmega and Tornadus have a -20 resistance, so you'll have no way of OHKOing them. Not to mention the fact that he would be an awful starter to have.

:dark:

Hydreigon- From what I can see, the deck will definitly run 4 DCE, 4 Special Darks, maybe some rescues and basic darks. It can be a potential game breaker deck with Electrode Prime with the right list and techs. Right now, Hydreigon is a terrible card because of Donphan (If Crygonal gets popular, then Hydreigon could be a potential threat). One thing it has going is your able to OHKO Mew Primes and deal 40 damage two of their higher HP Pokemon that could potentially be in OHKO range. Only problem with Hydreigon is it's slow, it's a stage 2, and the retreat cost is too high. Although, having 150 HP is helpful since your able to avoid being OHKO from a Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem's Outrage (watch out for PP).

:metal:

Cobalion: Should Kyurem become popular, he OHKOs it for a (M)(C) if kyurem is charged up. Also with 3 NRG kills the ice cream and is a really annoying attack in metal break (does what sheer cold does). He is also good against Goth, with that resistance and metal break. If the Goth player isnt careful, cobalion can OHKO it if Goth has enough energy.

Durant: A mill deck that runs several trainers, such as Catchers, Hammer Arm, Lost Removers, Junk Arms, Revives, Collectors, and the list can go on and on. The weakness it has is being able to perform in top cut matches, since the decks main goal is deck your opponent out. Rather than just take prize after prize each turn. When time gets called and your ahead on prizes game 2, it's all over for the Durant player unfortunately. Also, you would need cards like Rotom to make the deck work effectively if you want to make sure that none of the Durants are prized. If they are, then your toast! Zekroms will certainly plow right through the deck in 6 turns.

:colorless:

Haxorus: Having no weakness means that Haxorus will be able to take hits from Cincinno and Boufallant fairly easily. Fliptini could also be thrown in the deck as well if you want to go for the Dual Chop attack for CC. I'm not really sure what else you could throw in to make Haxorus a competitive card, maybe Serperior ability?

Druddigon: While he may seem not good at all with that 100 HP, his ability rough skin (places 2 damage counters on the opponents active pokemon when he is damaged) allows a cheap counter to Goth for zekrom. With rocky helmet attached, he suddenly becomes very, very annoying.

Playable Trainers

N- Self explanatory

Evolite- Helps Zekrom, Reshiram Durant, Musketeer Dogs quite a bit!

Super Rod- Self explanatory

Rocky Helmet- Throw this in Cinccinno/Beartic. Also, it could be useful against Gothitelle if you can get the card out before Gothitelle enters in play.

Last edited:
Pretty good list, I would just add two more who seem very interesting.

Cobalion: Should Kyurem become popular, he OHKOs it for a (M)(C) if kyurem is charged up. Also with 3 NRG kills the ice cream and is a really annoying attack in metal break (does what sheer cold does). He is also good against Goth, with that resistance and metal break. If the Goth player isnt careful, cobalion can OHKO it if Goth has enough energy.

Druddigon- While he may seem not good at all with that 100 HP, his ability rough skin (places 2 damage counters on the opponents active pokemon when he is damaged) allows a cheap counter to Goth for zekrom. With rocky helmet attached, he suddenly becomes very, very annoying.

Leavanny never saw much play last format when it was called exploud or before that when it was blastoise, so i can't imagine it would matter now, sorry bud.
Virizion is pretty sweet, could bring back goth to some extend as you can use it as a damage sponge and draw with it early game, it's also pretty neat on it's own i think.
Victini is nice, but not my favorite since it further encourages ppl to play risky strategies, and if it's a 50% chance you'll get it the first time how is the 50% chance you'll get it on your 2nd try any better?
Seismetoad is somthing i would like to be good but don't see it. you HAVE to get everything out in order for it to do any noticeable damage.
Vanilluxe, if any one of these is going to be good, it'll be the next one with the warp point type power, not this one.
Cryogonal is cool, it is a donphan counter but donphan will more than likely take a plummet in playtime it see's, so i'm on the fence about this card. Scope out the tournament, if donphan is present or if your deck can't handle it, then play it.
Kyruem is good, but i don't agree with the style of play it'll see. it's the same ol' catcher up the emboar and make them get out of it to retreat combo, only with feraligatr insterted.
Eelectrik is a liability on the bench it's got two retreat cost too many, nothing fully abuses it's great power, that you can't just get away with using an energy retrieval.
Chandelure is also pretty legit, and once we get the fire type one, i think it'll be top tier stuff. but right now it's kinda hard to convince ppl it's good when kindra is more splashable in decks...not just because it's a water type either.
Archeops will try to be played but ultimately the horrid fossil mechanic will keep it a sub par card.
Terrakion might be a good play, if magnezone gets more play due to it being an N killer then it'd be a sweet play.
Hydregion is well... you pretty much got in a nutshell.
Cobalion is a great ice counter and is suprisingly splashable in alot of decks.
Durant's quick milling capability are super sweet, but idk if it can survive a decent setup by the opposition.
Haxorus is a great stand alone card. but that's the problem, it's stands alone, nothing quite compliments it as of this monent in our format.
Trainers are all pretty cool in my book.

I basically rewrote your thread topic but in a more negative manner, sorry if it annoys you. But i think cobalion, virizion, terrakion, chandelure, and the trainers are the best in your list of cards. everything else is meh.

Those are all very interesting cards, and have potential to be fairly potent decks in the future. Yet alas, I see these as falling into the same rut that the Arceus playables did. Many a good card was printed in that set, and some of them even saw play(expert belt,spiritomb, ect..) But other than a marginal Arceus deck, nothing really changed the established meta at the time. I am definitely NOT saying there are no playable cards in this set, rather, that the new archetypes will not outshine the ZpTs/goth/tyram/primetime/ meta we have atm.

You guys forgot so much it's not even funny.

Then please by all means bestow your godlike insight on the matter, if you're not going to comment constructively then please don't even bother lifting your fingers to press the keys.

Landorous and both Confargrious have potential use.

Also special mention to Durant and Accelgor. Neither of them will probably be competitive, but Accelgor is possibly the best offensive grass type in the format (sans the dragonfly, of course) and Durant rush seems interesting.

Conkeldurr with Electrode Prime could be big, maybe with Donphan Prime?

I'm working on this at the moment, 4 3 4 conk, 3 2 'trode, and 16-18 energy is what i have so far. i want to be able to energymite without worry or too much damage to my setup.

And I imagine with the mewgar you meant mewbox? to cripple after a crucial sludge drag? Or quite possibly to just feel like you're mew/gengar isn't in danger of being ko'ed while you spread damage with cursed droplets.

---------- Post added 11/01/2011 at 11:14 AM ----------

Landorous and both Confargrious have potential use.

Also special mention to Durant and Accelgor. Neither of them will probably be competitive, but Accelgor is possibly the best offensive grass type in the format (sans the dragonfly, of course) and Durant rush seems interesting.

I've seen landorus being played with machamp, energy accel and spreads, and with engineer's and the right cards you could have a machamp out and swinging for 60 as early as turn two. Cofagrigus is something i would like to add to my conkeldurr deck, but don't know if i'll find the space.

durant is cool, but as my friend and i found out last night it gets shut down by cobalion, so it might not be so hot. Accelgor i overlooked at first but now i see that it combo's with super rod in that one gets knocked out and you can get everything back to set up another one and pick up where you left off. might have to do something about the damage output though, 60 isn't the best amount to be doing going into late game.

Last edited:
I really like the idea behind Conkeldurr (Ability) with Electrode Prime, the problem is what If you don't get enough :fighting: to attach to it for maximizing it's HP? It could be an amazing contender to counter against PrimeTime and ZPST but that's a stretch. ZPST will most likely setup alot faster before you get Conkeldurr out so you would have to run a Donphan Prime tech to ensure you get Conkeldurr out late game as the deck itself would sort of replace DonChamp but it's less consistent. Be nice If you didn't have to run Donphan to make the deck less expensive though. What would be a cheaper alternative to Donphan? Landorus perhaps? What about Terrakion incase they KO Conkeldurr?

One of my friends was testing Chandelure with Metagross UL however it was WAY too slow. The premise is to bench snipe with Metagross by doing 40 to 2 benched Pokemon while you give Chandelure free retreat with Metagross's Poke-Body while also putting 3 damage counters on your Opponent's Pokemon that have been hit by Metagross with Cursed Shadow for prizes, Jirachi can also pave the way for easier prizes with Time Hollow. Problem is that Mewbox tears this deck apart by Catchering Metagross UL and the deck sort of falls apart.

I hear people talking about Vanilluxe being used as Lost Zone fodder for Mew Prime to paralyze the defending Pokemon with 2 energies for Double Freeze and while that is a cute tactic I'm just not sure If it's really that effective or not. Amoongus has better synergy with Toxic especially If you also have Crobat Prime in your Lost Zone for Severe Poison to combine the Poison damage however it still feels a bit inconsistent though. I feel that If you're running Mew you shouldn't need to LZ more than once cause you could fall behind on tempo and speed. If you're going MewLock then it's understandable.

Last edited:
Nah man, forget the donphan and go for fast consistency. focus everything you have on gettting a turn two conk, (blow up trode, twins) if your concern is getting enough energys, play 3 to 4 DCE and worry about getting a bulky conk built after the first.

Splendid, how is your Conkeldurr/Electrode deck working out for you? Have you playtested it enough to where it has solid matchups against other decks by any chance? I know it can beat PrimeTime and possibly ZPST but I feel that ZPST will setup much faster before you have a chance to get Conkeldurr out. Trainer Lock does eat this deck pretty quick and I feel it will have a more difficult matchup mostly against Gothitelle/Reuniclus, ZPST, and MewLock.

I'm still working on it tbh, i'm thinking about adding cobalion to deal with mew and goth, goth might be done but with virizion it might get a bit more play. I don't want to auto lose to these two decks but still do not want to give up consistency. and though you get slowed down, you can slow build the conk, with a thick line for proctecion against energymite it also serves as a nice semi counter to item lock decks.

How is Cobalion going to counter against Mew and Gothitelle, you need a :psychic: Pokemon to do it and most of the time they won't have that much energy attached to attack anyway. Too bad Mewtwo ex isn't out yet, it would help this deck tremendously.

cobalion is resistant to both for one and his attacks

energy press MC 20+20 for each energy on the defending. can one shot a goth if they invest too many energy on one.
metal breaker MMC 80 the defending pokemon cannot attack during your opponents turn. so they have to retreat or double switch, or switch shaymin, but they'll still need what 6 or 7 energy to one shot you? and you one shot them with that many energy on a goth. and it one shots mew, i forgot to mention.

Leavanny never saw much play last format when it was called exploud or before that when it was blastoise, so i can't imagine it would matter now, sorry bud.

I disagree: the last format had a pretty negligible weakness / resistance matchup, and from one deck (Sablelock versus Vilegar) there was never really any exploitation of weaknesses and resistance in the last format as we see here. It's unthinkable back then, for example, to consider a Gyarados player to have been worried around Luxchomp's attacks back then or a DialgaChomp player to have worried about Blaziken FB as much as we have players today figuring out how to deal with Donphan, Yanmega, Zekrom, etc., in terms of weaknesses. Ross.dec is a deck that pretty much runs almost entirely on abusing weaknesses. Now, with Pokemon like Hydreigon cut out from (seemingly) confirmed top status purely because of his fighting weakness, I think a 1-0-1 Leavanny tech is something we may be seeing in decks that rely on beefier, setup Pokemon.

I must say that I don't think it'll become the card in every deck, no, but I do think that Leavanny will be more important in some archetypes than Exploud was.

I disagree: the last format had a pretty negligible weakness / resistance matchup, and from one deck (Sablelock versus Vilegar) there was never really any exploitation of weaknesses and resistance in the last format as we see here. It's unthinkable back then, for example, to consider a Gyarados player to have been worried around Luxchomp's attacks back then or a DialgaChomp player to have worried about Blaziken FB as much as we have players today figuring out how to deal with Donphan, Yanmega, Zekrom, etc., in terms of weaknesses. Ross.dec is a deck that pretty much runs almost entirely on abusing weaknesses. Now, with Pokemon like Hydreigon cut out from (seemingly) confirmed top status purely because of his fighting weakness, I think a 1-0-1 Leavanny tech is something we may be seeing in decks that rely on beefier, setup Pokemon.

I must say that I don't think it'll become the card in every deck, no, but I do think that Leavanny will be more important in some archetypes than Exploud was.

Agree with everything except yanmega.

Edit: You meant FINDING their weaknesses. I agree with that one.

Gotta remember that last format, Weakness was often a negligible factor anyway - being that it was simply too wimpy at only +30 (average) to allow for weakness teching.

The only times weakness mattered were in countering SPs.

Back