Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Carlos' 8-1 T128 With Entei Report/ A Weekend Without a Cellphone

Flareon

I hate boring introductions, so I'll be quick. Nationals was reeeaaally long, so if I played against you and forgot our match or got something wrong, let me know! Also, I am leaving out names for a few reasons, but if you are OK with it I'll put your name down. Here goes! :)

Deck Choice: Entei

Pokemon: 4
4 umm...

Supporters/Trainers: 45

4 Juniper
4 Oak
2 N
2 Bianca
-
2 Random Receiver
2 Heavy Ball
2 Lost Remover
1 Energy Switch
1 Energy Search
3 Switch
3 Catcher
3 Eviolite
4 Junk Arm
4 Max Potion
4 Moo Moo Milk
4 Potion

Energy: 11
11 Fire

Strategy:
Play potion, attach energy, attack...

JK, it gets a little more for than that. But yeah, the basic strategy is deal a consistent 90 a turn without ever letting them draw a Prize. More often than drawing 6 prizes, you will probably win by decking your opponent (which they tend to do to themselves by over extending to OHKO Entei) or winning by being ahead on prizes at time. You shouldn't throw down potions all willy nilly, which is what people tend to do with they pick up the deck for the first time. Rather, you use as few as possible to keep Entei outside of KO range in the given situation so that you can retreat him later and just use a single Max Potion to erase all the damage. After a Grand Flame or two, you'll have another Entei ready to keep it going for another round of the same thing. Junk Arms are very critical, as some games you will use all of them for Lost Remover and Catcher, (Kling Klang) or other times you might just want to Max Potion 8 times because your opponent has no way of OHKOing you.
Simple, but requires you doing a lot of math and prediction. Taking your time and thinking long term will get you really far with this deck.

Reason for choosing Entei:
I've never top cut a Nats. Ever. The three seasons I was playing my best I 6-3 missed each time. To.This.Day. I can go into each of those losses in excruciating detail. Needless to say, making the cut this year was my goal, despite not getting to play very much this year. Thankfully, Louis recommended Entei for this situation.
Since I haven't played much this season, I did not want something too complicated and I didn't really know what was good. I knew going in that Entei lost to Vileplume, anything water (that didn't depend on Special Energy Cards) and had a lot of trouble dealing with a Mewtwo ex with an Eviolite. However, it had a strong matchup against Darkrai, random decks and could run pretty evenly with anything else. It also cannot be donked, and when going into a 9 round swiss this is usually a really good thing. I figured if I didn't go up against Water or Vileplume in the first two rounds, I wouldn't have to face them later in the day and might have a strong chance at getting 7-2 and making the cut. Also, losing all of my cards the week before the event kind of limited my choices... xD

Day 1

"I just wanna play pokemon!"
- Matt Moss, USA Nationals 2009(?)

Yellow Flight, Round 1

Hammer Time (Darkrai with energy removal)

Darkrai isn't too scary, but you do have to watch out for mid to late game Shaymin to Mewtwo ex with 7 Energy - ignoring plus power or damage, this is what it takes to KO a fresh Entei with 3 energy. Also, the use of Crushing Hammer can be pretty annoying.
My opponent is a solid player, but can't hit any crucial Crushing Hammer flips. I am not making consistent KO's, but I notice his deck is getting pretty low on cards and he hasn't taken a prize yet. Throughout the game I am able to pull off the cute combo of retreating into a new Entei, Max Potion the Bench, attach and Grand Flame. I'm making KO's on Pokemon with Energy. I cannot remember this game too well, but I am pretty sure I was afraid he could drop a Mewtwo so I Max Potioned my active with energy (now Mewtwo needs 11 energy to KO Entei). A few turns later, I N him to zero for game. Cannot remember if he prized anything crucial or not. GG
1-0

Round 2: Darkrai/Terrakion
OK, this is much less scary. If I can make my opponent's life a little difficult, he won't get to drop the dreaded 7 energy, Eviolited Mewtwo. If that can be prevented, I can pretty much just pull off the retreat combo all game. You almost focus more on how to do 90 a turn in this matchup than actually trying to make KO's.
I think this was the unfortunate opponent that either prized a Mewtwo or Shaymin, though I am pretty sure I got at least one KO off a Mewtwo in this game. He starts of with Terrakion and tries to go for some revenge hits, but at only 70 damage a turn, it isn't making much of a difference in the game. I take a few KO's, but I am pretty sure this opponent also decked out.
2-0

Round 3: ?
Nationals was a long even, just can't remember what I played the first day. Pretty sure I either won by prizes or time.
3-0

Round 4: Speed Darkrai (?)
This is probably the easiest matchup, as Dark Spear only hits the bench for 10, and so long as you draw a few supporters you should draw enough heal to make sure they never KO an Entei.
If I remember correctly, there was an issue involving a Darkness energy that I thought was a basic (anybody know why they look exactly the same when placed under a Pokemon??). But anyway, time was called, the issue was resolved and we got an eleven minute time extension. I am pretty sure he pulled off multiple Portraits for Juniper. Good thing Entei is hard to KO, because I spend the next few turns just staying alive until I can use my last N to get him to deck out.
4-0

Round 5: CMT
Ugh, I was sitting at just above 50/50 against CMT in playtesting, which I assumed was good enough since a) it seemed as though fewer people were playing it and b) most people haven't had a lot of experience against Entei and tend to waste a lot of resources to try and get the jump on me.
Well, not only has my opponent played against Entei before, but he is also sporting 2 Regigigas! Gigas is one of my favorite Pokemon, but I've not playetested Entei against a CMT that runs it, let alone two! If you are wondering, not only is Gigas hard to KO, but his Rage attack can be lethal in this matchup - large amounts of damage and hard to KO. And just because I might not get KO'd, it doesn't mean I'll be able to heal enough of it every turn to ensure my Entei keep going. I end up making a missplay at some point, but it isn't nearly as bad as when he doesn't realize his Gigas doesn't have enough energy to use the rage attack and leaves me at 10 away, meaning I'll get Retreat for 2 (Sky Arrow), Energy Switch, Max Potion and Grand Flame. He's down two prizes, a bunch of energy, and I have no damage on the field. The game stays tight, but it seems he cannot draw what he needs. I am pretty sure time is called, and I am able to put myself into a position where he has to deal 200 damage to a fresh Entei with only two energy (needing 8 on a Mewtwo out of almost no where). Close game, but Entei stays alive.
5-0

Whoo! First day is over. Details are fuzzy, but despite having judges called over against me and Peter and my Round 5 opponent, everyone keeps their cool. Each of my five opponents were great sports. Each game went to time or went on long enough that I had to deck my opponents, so I get a much needed beer at California Pizza and Chill with Louis and several others that night.

Also, Pooka asks if I am up for an interview, which of course sounds like fun. However, not having a phone made keeping up with people difficult and I was too hungry and tired so I forgot.
Day 2

Round 6: Eels/Terrakion

Eels is kind of a funny matchup. You tend to aim for the Tynamo T2 if you can, hoping they die off of burn (terrible strategy, I know. But there really aren't many better plays T2). If possible, you continue trying to kill the Eels while healing whatever damage they try to do to you so that they won't have the Eels in play late game to get a bazillion energy late game and Mewtwo you.
I try to go for killing Tynamo early but it isn't happening. I remember making a nearly game losing misplay in the first few turns. I have a highly damaged Entei . I decide against wasting my Potion in my hand of two cards thinking a) I might need to save it for later and b) maybe I'll top deck a Junk Arm and want to use it to grab a Random Receiver to get out of this dead hand. I didn't realize it'd be a much better play to force him to work for the KO, needing to deal 70 instead of 30. But alas, I hand him an Entei on silver platter and have to figure out how to get to of this. Thankfully, he doesn't get everything he needs to beat me every turn and I am able to play out the rest of the match like nothing ever happened. His Bold Strikes put his Zekrom in KO range for Grand Flame, and his early, non-eviolited Mewtwo got two shotted after taking out my first Entei. Being very careful, I methodically keep the cycle of retreating, healing and attacking going to win.
6-0

Round 7: CMT

I am weary about this matchup because I know I got very lucky that I wasn't the only person to misplay in my first CMT matchup of the day. If you patiently do math you increase your chances of winning. Lazy or short sighted plays can cost you in the mid to late game.
Turns out my opponent runs potion. Awesome way to turn my attempts at three shotting things into four shots. This game was a bit of a cripple fight for a little while with my opponent having pretty annoying prizes and me having some awkward draw (hands full of Max Potions and nothing else, having to Juniper my other 3 Junipers, etc...). Since KOing things got really hard, I decided to focus on healing toward the end of the game. I noticed if you can keep pressure on them early, they will spend a lot of resources trying to keep up in the Prize trade since it takes them much more time to take prizes than in other match ups (and nobody wants to lose from time). This put my in the position to win with a last turn N to deck my opponent.
Winning this many times due to N makes me think running 3-4 N over Bianca might be the play. It also ruins the 10 cards they sometimes get from all the mulligans.
7-0

Round 8: Fighting (Terrakion/Landarous)?

I want to say this is when I faced the Fighting deck. They can't just get a bunch of Energy out of no where to have a Big Mewtwo, but you have to watch out for Exp Shares. They keep a consistent 90 a turn as well, but can't heal or resist like Entei.
This game goes pretty much like you would expect. Easily heal all game. Hardest decisions are how best to keep the energy on their field low to avoid a Mewtwo and figuring out how many turns away KO's are because it's a slow process for the both of you.
8-0

Round 9: Darkrai/Terrakion

I really wanted to go 9-0, and whenI noticed what my opponent was playing I thought it was mine. I had already played against several Darkrai, so I thought this would just play out the same.

However, despite a promising opening hand, I started drawing dead mid game, whiffing on Moo Moo Milk or whatever random cards I wanted off the few Supporters I did play. He had Eviolited Mewtwo, Max Potion and was able to move the Energies around when necessary. Can't win them all.
8-1

OK! Made the top cut for the first time! Finally don't feel like a failure at Nats :lol: Now to see if I can keep going!

Top 128: CMT

Game 1
I am a little happy about this matchup. I know it can get hard, but I've been able to win even when it looked like my opponent had me on the ropes, so I feel confident.

I don't mulligan and I am able go the whole game without losing an Entei. Wasn't too interesting.
1/0

Game 2

This time I mulligan 11 times. I am surprised my opponent doesn't ask for a judge ball since time is going to be an issue eventually. I end up only playing about 3 supporters for the first 8 turns and he goes ham on my after handing him 11 cards. I realize the game is unwinnable and just try to keep Entei alive as long as possible and do what I can to make him work for this one.
1/1

Game 3

I know time will be called soon, so if I can just focus on making a KO without getting KO'd I should be fine. I choose to play conservatively because I want to just take a prize off Fire Fang so he will need 8 energy for a KO. I end up benching an Entei because I think their is more time on the clock and things are starting to get scary with my lone Entei and I don't want to get benched. Right after I do so and play a draw supporter (rather than the N I had that could have messed up his somewhat large hand) time is called.

Turn 0
I don't get the Catcher I want for the easy KO and just hit whatever was active. Also whiff on totally healing my active from Moo Moo Milk (1/4 flips were heads... ugh).
Turn 1
His turn he Catchers the Benched Entei and hits it for 60 I think.
Turn 2
If I remember correctly, I hit the switch and Catcher the Celebi with Fire Fang for a prize. He needs 3 energy and two Pluss Power if my memory serves me correctly.
Turn 3
Drops the Energy, DCE, PP, JA for PP. he takes 2 prizes and is ahead. GG
1/2

And so ends my run with Entei.

Closing thoughts on the deck:

I don't think the deck is nearly as much of an auto-pilot deck as I originally thought. You keep the same cycle going, but doing that effectively and efficiently in such a way that you turn bad games in to wins is actually much more difficult than it seems. It demands that you think long term, and the decks consistency allows you to do so with more accuracy than really any other deck that I've ever played.
Though, it doesn't just outright win very many match ups, and Entei doesn't really have the ability to just go ham on someone like CMT and Darkrai, so even if your opponent is struggling for the first THREE turns, you cannot do anything to exploit that. Also, there is no beating Vileplume outside of a downright terrible opening hand on their part and Water isn't much better.

Props:
Louis for handing me the list, convincing me to play it, teaching me to play it and stopping me from making absolutely terrible changes to the list. :)
The Mitchels for lending me well... almost the entire deck since I lost practically all of my cards the week before event, and holding testing at their house.
Colin letting me borrow cards, sleep on his floor with about 10 other people Sunday night and being fabulous.
Josh for letting me borrow an Entei xD
The Fernandeze;s for taking me to Nats again :)
Chance for letting me room with him
Getting see and to hang out with Louis, Emily, Jayson, Liz, Colin, Omar, Vergel, Bianci, AJ, Jason, Chuck, Fulop, Chance, Zach, Alvis, Kyle, Lynches, Taylor, Sam ... omg this list could go on forever...
California Pizza
Sam and Jayson making worlds!

Slops:
Having to wait 3-4 turns to attack for 70-90 damage
One of my opponents (who I've met before) for literally sitting across from me for thirty minutes without saying a word to me, looking at me or even wanting to shake me hand after the game. Whaaaatever man:roll eyes:
A dude selling me an Energy Search for a dollar... omg
Not getting to interview with Pooka :(

Thanks again to all the people for being supportive of me! I had an amazing time with everyone and am totally suffering from post-nats depression. Can't wait to see everyone next season!

Carlos

Last edited:
Back