Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Certian Professors Hog All the Events In Your Area!!!

TheDarkTwins

Hi...
I Live in an area where there are 2-3 Professor's That Do Every Event at Every Store at Everywhere in the Vicinity where i live... I dont think this is Giving New Professors a Fair Chance... They Judge at about 5 Different Places and dont give us chances to judge and get points... I dont think this is really fair to all the professors... I have brought it up to the stores and the professors and nothing is being done about it... I wanted some advice about it...
Can some other professors help me and my other prof. out...
Thanks...
Drew

Are you talking and suggesting it in a good way? If so, then it's really up to the TO which is sad that they won't let you build yourself a repuation and show what you know.

Honestly don't these other Professor's ever want to play themselves? Suggest to them, you'll step up and give them a break. Talk with the TO in a nice way, explain to them you'd like to improve your skills as judging and take advantage of the Professor Program Points. Have you shown an interest before the points program came around? If not, then they may not be taking you serious.

If you've done all this in a respectable way, then there's probably nothing you can do in your local area, that TO/PTO just may have his favorites and sticking to them.

SD PokéMom said:
This very situation was discussed previously HERE...

'mom
If you want you can merge them...
if not we can continue to discuss it here too...

Well... the thing is i tried to take the test back in wotc days and didnt pass... i passed when nintendo put the test up... and i enjoying playing but i would like to judge to see what it is like to see if i enjoy it or not... i know it is no joke... it is a serious thing... that is why i want to try doing it to show i can... But nobody will give anybody a chance who isnt "IN There Group" so it really isnt giving anyone else a chance...
Drew

TheDarkTwins said:
If you want you can merge them...
if not we can continue to discuss it here too...

Well... the thing is i tried to take the test back in wotc days and didnt pass... i passed when nintendo put the test up... and i enjoying playing but i would like to judge to see what it is like to see if i enjoy it or not... i know it is no joke... it is a serious thing... that is why i want to try doing it to show i can... But nobody will give anybody a chance who isnt "IN There Group" so it really isnt giving anyone else a chance...
Drew

Drew,
The bottom line is that it's up to the organizer as to whom they wish to have judge thier events. However, you could likely further your goal by speaking with the other judges and organizers just like you're asking here, and say "I'm not sure I even will like judging, but I'd like to give it a shot, can I help you out at your next event as a staff judge?"

By offering your help on their staff, it can both show that you want to learn, and can offer assistance to the group that is already judging. You may then create a group of judges who become interchangeable, and you may find that the group is then more willing to say "well, I'll play today, you judge..." etc.

Thanks,
Prof. Dav

Dav, my problem is that although I could judge if I could travel to all the out of town Premiere events, I don't drive and it's often hard to get a ride. Are we going to be able to earn points for the Professor awards for sanctioned, but non-premiere events soon?

Just for the record, I have and would judge even without the Prof. Points, I just want an equal chance.

Speaking on this thread as a PTO, yes, it is hard to break into the judging circles at times.

In my events, I have a "pool" of about 6 judges who I will use.

These are the same players I used before the professor program was even in existance.

They have busted for me, they have come through for me, and any new judges will really have to show me their worth before I will add them to the rotation.

Always looking for new "talent" as I run SEVERAL premiere events every cycle...but, as long as my "classic" judges still come through and perform at their high level...it could be tough.

Vince

Any TO should always be looking for new talent. People move on, people get sick, people are people. Start small. Work your way up. Try and organize your own events. Let your reputation spread on it's own. Develop new places to play. Develop new TOs who are willing to work with you. Show that you have the talent and the desire. Offer to be a "judgeling" - shadow under a more experienced judge just for the experience factor. See how they make the calls, how they work the event.

I agree!

Judgling would be a new fun title...yet a great way for new judges to break in!!!

What is the best way for judglings to break in???

Weekly type tourneys...

What is the WRONG envio to break in at??? Large scale events.

You want to show your stuff to me, offer to judge one of my after-events...

Do a good job, and who knows, you may be invited on to the big show.

M45

Gee, I guess I need to lay claim to that term and wikipedia it ;)

Judgeling © Steve Gillette 2005 blah blah blah

Actually, that's a term that's been going around in Magic for years.
[font=&quot] [/font]

Isn't that, in a way how DCI runs their judges program? After all, a brand-new Level-1 judge doesn't get to jump right in and get a sponsorship to an international Pro Tour event...

At the risk of sounding elitist and/or unsympathetic, I think that's something many of the newer professor/judges are forgetting in the rush to earn points for the cool professor goodies.

One _doesn't_ start to earn product/points/professor rewards/premier event judging spots right off the bat after passing their test; one has to start at the 'bottom'...at league, at smaller local events...and get their experience, which may NOT involve professor points (at least at this time) first. We _all_ did this..."paid our dues", if you will...even back in the WotC days when the only professor 'reward' was a holo Professor Elm card.

Demanding that a TO/PTO completely change their staff for the sake of change or 'fairness' would be a disaster; premier events would be chaotic without experienced staff on hand (and can be, sometimes even WITH them too, since Murphy's Law is always in effect ;) )...

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
I wasn't going to weigh in on this topic, but I agree 110% with what SD PokeMom just said.

Don't come into this program thinking that, just because you passed a 25 question test, TOs are going to throw themselves at your feet and beg for you to judge for them.

A few tips for all you new Professors:

Start small. Prove that you know your stuff before you expect to be asked to judge a City Championship. Try helping at your local league or weekly tournament.

Check your ego. Don't think that just because you passed the test, you're better than everyone around you that didn't. No one respects someone that doesn't return that respect.

Listen to those that came before you. Folks like 'Mom, Meg45, DaytonGL, etc. have been doing this a long time. If they've got advice for you, take it to heart.

For most of us, there are one of two problems. The first is that there are too many Professors that either could or could not make good judges in the area. The second is that the player base in a given area is small enough that having a judge outside of the TO or HJ is usually not necessary. In my area, both are the case, plus we have a TO in the area (not referring to dld4a) that absolutely refuses to allow anybody outside of his "trusted judges", of which he has 2, to judge anything that goes on in the store.

What I'm trying to say is that many of us live in areas where it is not possible to start at a small locale and work our way up: it's either go big or go home.

I know I havent posted in like ooo about 3 months. lol computer acting up and school is being a real pain. Anyway back on the topic. I just recently became a professor back in October, so far its been hard to get points the only way for me right now is League (well until the local card shop gets premeir status which wont happen to soon). I've learned many things about basiclly how to react to diffrent situations and how to interact with people (which was hard for me before I started league). I agree with 'mom and mike we have to start out small then work there way up gaining knowledge and experiance along the way. Also where I live I am the only professor that lives here, but we are to close to another premeir place to get the status. So I'm trying to make pokemon playable here once again just like the good old days. So for those young profs like myself we just have to start small even tho the rewards might not be what you want, just stick with it and it will pay off.

~Tormented~

What would you suggest doing in a smaller area, like mine, where your 'Leauge Leading' professor isn't really letting any other professor take in some share in the 'Leauge Leading' process? I mean, down here we only are able to really hold one leauge as of right now, and, as of right now, we only have one professor as leauge leader. But, due to the fact that this is a smaller playing area and so on, there isn't even a way for the other professor(s) to get a break and gain points/upkeep their status through league leading or tournaments, ect... How would you suggest going about that...? (I really DO appreciate any help/advice, lol)

Last edited:
My questions to you would be:

"Why did you become a professor?"

Sounds like your area is already covered. If it's small enough that one Professor has it covered, then why did you become a Professor? Did you see a need for more when you took the test but that need isn't there now?

Our PTO has a good staff and we "hog" :) all the events for him.
Why? well who else would drive 2.5 hours with snow comming down and 8" on the ground, to make a trip that usually takes an hour. Then run the event because the PTO is snowed in 3 hours away.

Why do I do it, well its fun for my family and I know my involvement assures a fun and quality event for my boys and our players to participate in. This helps the game grow.

I hate to say it but I think that parents of new players like to see more mature faces running large events.

I know this may be frustrating to younger new profs. As suggested above there are ways to show your stuff tp the PTOs/TOs.

For instance yesterday we had lotsa 10- players. Many 15+ players had built decks with time to spare. I went and asked a few known "new" profesors if they could help the 10- players. Well there were 2 new profs who were glad to do it. The 10- players were thrilled to have "professors" helping them. Two other professors told me "not now, I have to play test my deck first". Which profs do you think will get a chance and which two will have their professorships expire because of inactivity?

Last edited:
Totally agrees with the above...

Also, new judges/profs should keep in mind that 'judging' an event means exactly that: constantly circulating around the room to keep an eye on the games, making sure all players have prizes placed at the beginning of a round, etc.

'Judging' does not mean...among other things...going off in a corner of a room to trade during rounds, sitting down to watch a friend's match, or an 'easier' way to 'get packs'...

JMHO,
'mom

Life isn't fair. Get over it and choose to be a winner. If we're sitting around waiting for people to "give us a chance" we might as well sell everything we own, drive to vegas, and lay it all on red, because it's a gamble. Maybe you'll find someone who is sympathetic to you. Chances are, you wont. As for me, I make the choice to be as successful as I can in everything that I do. When it comes to events, I care about details - how am I dressed? How should I speak? What kinds of things can I do that other people aren't going to do?

If you want something, do everything in your power to get it, understanding that the most important thing you can change is yourself. Always always look to yourself first.

Advice from someone who has been around the block, taken some falls, and takes pride in everything.

Back