Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Charizard and Blastoise from Boundaries Crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this has been posted yet, sorry about that if it hasn't.

http://pokebeach.com/2012/09/charizard-and-blastoise-from-boundaries-crossed

Base set blastoise is neat, attack is kinda weak I think though, but of course it can be used on the bench too so I think it'll see play. Charizard is real slow so I doubt it'll see much play but the second attack is quite good seeing as you can get a steady 150 damage per turn once you get enough energy.

Thoughts?

Emboar doesn't see play because there's nothing great to pair him with. Entei EX supplies his own energy, Colorless Pokemon can use Eels instead, the Reshirams aren't spectacular, and the other Fire type Pokemon take too much effort to set up. Water, on the other hand, has quite a few big basics who could benefit from a lot of Water energy.

Did Feraligatr have much to load up energy on though? Like tash said, there are some big basics that would appreciate that. There weren't any big basic water types like we have now back then, if memory serves.

Blastoise is going to be one of the most played decks in the format once the expansion is released between the fact that he's more than viable and he's Blastoise.

Wow, I'm so glad I've got a Cold Flare box on the way, the English Blastoise looks so ugly :/ I wish they'd let us have the silver bordered cards too.
The Charizard won't see play, 4 energy is a push in this Modified format, never mind 5. Blastoise and Keldeo EX is just a combo built into the set though, it's like "here, we built a deck for you"! I think it'll be pretty strong especially as Keldeos Ability essentially negates Blastoise's huge retreat cost. Magnezone showed us how strong an attack with no damage cap can be and this one doesn't have to discard/lost zone any energy.

DAT CHARIZARD

But dang, that's a lot of energy for the scorching fire attack. o__o It does a nice amount of damage, but that would be about as annoying as Emboar's flare blitz.

This is the first time a Raindance-type Power could attach Water Energy to non-Water Pokemon. I think there's gonna be something fun you can do with that. Where's my Black/White Kyurem to back me up?

Emboar decks, and Fire decks in general, are pretty much dead now. Charizard isn't that playable to begin with. But I've got some ideas for how to deal with Blastoise. For me to know and you to find out :cool:

I see My Little Blastoise being one of the most popular new decks after Boundaries Crossed is released. I've playtested a proxied version and it's definitly competitive level.

Blastoise has 4 retreat. Emboar has 4 retreat. Feraligatr had 3 retreat. They all need energy in hand in order to work.

Typhlosion had 2 retreat and retrieved energy from discard. Eels have 2 retreat and retrieve energy from discard. Dark Patch has Darkrai for free retreat and retrieves energy from the discard. These decks work because they can recurse their resources pretty easily and keep them in play. They are also less vulernable to Catcher stalls and Ns.

I just can't see Blastoise doing much better than the other "dancers" before it. Its lategame seems weaker. Keldeo looks promising, but I dont know if it has enough clout to carry the deck.

Blastoise has 4 retreat. Emboar has 4 retreat. Feraligatr had 3 retreat. They all need energy in hand in order to work.

Typhlosion had 2 retreat and retrieved energy from discard. Eels have 2 retreat and retrieve energy from discard. Dark Patch has Darkrai for free retreat and retrieves energy from the discard. These decks work because they can recurse their resources pretty easily and keep them in play. They are also less vulernable to Catcher stalls and Ns.

I just can't see Blastoise doing much better than the other "dancers" before it. Its lategame seems weaker. Keldeo looks promising, but I dont know if it has enough clout to carry the deck.

Yea, the emboar dancer just won worlds, hard to see blastoise "doing much better"
Also the 4retreat isnt a big deal if you know what keldeo ex does.

Blastoise/Keldeo is confirmed to be a BIG player deck in Japan. While this could be Fluffychomp syndrome, I doubt it is.

Reshiboar has a few flaws. Hydropony amends all of those flaws, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back