Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chex and Lugia ex...

Daddiursa

This is the mother of all price question... which you have heard a million times before...

Why are Charizard ex and Lugia ex priced so much higher than other Pokemon-ex (with the same playability)?

Are there fewer printed, or do they have a unique status that makes them more sought after, pushing prizes higher?

Lugia is extremely playable.
I think charizard is simply 'charizard', just like the old base set charizard- it will always have the highest demand because it is one of the most popular and sought after pokemon.

But Lugia ex has always costed a lot, yet LSB wasn't around until Delta Species (with Holon Magneton/Electrode)...

oki... So essientially it's their status in the game which makes them sought after, and not that they are in short supply... That's what I needed to know.

I think it's because of the kids.

When little kids ask for a Pokemon card for their birthday, they either ask for something that has high attack, or heir parrents get them something that has high attack. Lugia and Charizard are the only two cards that have 200 written on them. This is also why Wailord was worth so much, even though it wasn't really playable.

Bigger numbers = Bigger cost.

There Are a Few Things That Make Cards Worth Alot....

1. Above all else is "How Rare" a Card is... If a Card is rare it is obv gonna be worth More... A Few Good Examples are Championship Arena and RH TVR (Cause Of Its Collectiblity)

2. Is it Playable?? If it is the card may jump in price... A Few examples of this is Medicham Ex after Nats 05 and Jirachi which sells for more than Some Ex...

3. Does It Have Something That Few/No other pokemon have?? The Few Things that fall into this Category are Wailord Ex (200 HP) and Charizard Ex and Lugia Ex (Both Do 200 DMG)

4. Is the Pokemon that is Printed Well Known and Extremely Liked, If it is there is a good chance that it will be worth more... There are a bunch of Pokemon that fall into this category... Most of them are Legendary/Starters but there are a few that are just cool and that makes them worth a bunch... A Few are Charizard, Lugia, Mew... There are more but those are most likely the biggest....

That is MO...

Drew

I'd also like to throw out the concept of perceived rarity or shortage.
Once a card seems like it will be rare, or might become rare, it can MAKE itself rare, because people will be less inclined to trade it away.

It might not actually fit any of the categories drew gave, but if the idea that the card will become rare or valued... that in itself will MAKE the card rarer. Do you guys get what I'm saying? It doesn't actually have to BE rare, liked, or good... it can actually be thought to be rare in the future, or in the present, and that will MAKE it rare.

This is especially the case for cards like electrode ex, or maybe even pow! If a new set might have some cards that look rare, and combo with older cards, the perceived scarcity or value of those cards will inflate, causing those cards to become rarer-even though they don't themselves exhibit any features that should make them rare.

Look at Mew in the new LM set. Not playable at all, but it will command a higher price than most other holos just because it is Mew.

Same thing with Charizard, Lugia, and, to lesser extents, Blastoise, Mew, Mewtwo, Tyranitar, Entei, and a few others.

Charizard do 200 damage!!! Thats another reason that it sells for so much. Lugia also do 200 but with less hp than charzard, but more playable.

They are worth about the same, but Lugia might be worth more since it is more playable than chex.

~fan

Back