Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chuck's 5th Place Worlds Report

Howdy YALL! Just got moved into my dorm for my Sophomore year at SIUC. Things are kinda hecktic, so I'm only gunna get into the Pokemon part of my trip :-D.

I decided to play Dragtrode again after winning a GC with it, and 6-3ing at Nats. My biggest problem at Nats (and Dragtrodes biggest problem in general) was people getting a fast Pidgeot against me. I also started having some trouble with Ludicargo as well in testing. Sollution? 1/1 Lunatone/Solrock OBV! While it does take away from Dark Ring damage, the benefits far outweigh the cons. Anyways, here's the list:

Pokemon: 19

4 Rocket's Sneasel EX
3 Dratini
3 Dark Dragonair
2 Dark Dragonite
2 Voltorb
2 Dark Electrode
1 Rocket's Scyther EX
1 Lunatone
1 Solrock

Energy: 15

4 Darkness
4 Dark Metal
3 Rainbow
4 R Energy

Trainers: 26

4 Trans
3 Mentor
1 Scientist
1 Adventurer
3 Steven's
2 Admin
4 Desert Ruins
1 Hideout
4 Rocket Ball
2 Scott
1 Briney

Only thing I would change is -1 Stevens, +1 Mentor.

Round 1 vs Delta Ttar deck?

My opponent was from another country, but I don't remember which. Sorry. Anyways, I went first with a Sneasel vs a Larv and Castfrom. I Drag off, he does 10. I Dark Ring, he passes. I Dark Ring again, and thats game :(. Bad luck. Ohh well.

1-0

Round 2 vs Florida Guy (I think) with LBS

I get a fast start, and he's unable to get Blastoise out. He makes a wish for Pidgeot T3, but I respond with Lunasol. He had a chance to hit a candy/blastoise off an admin for 6 at the end to put me and bad shape, but he whiffed. gg.

2-0

Round 3 vs Jeff Canfield with Lunasol

I got my Dragonite out and attacking before he could get a Holon FFed Lunatone goin. He wasnt able to stick a cursed stone either. Dragonite vs Lunatone is NOT fun for Lunatone :-D.

3-0

Round 4 vs Sebastian with Bombtar

He got a god start against my not so god start. I had some nasty prizes, but by turn 3 he was spin tailing with 1000 energy in play. I never really had a chance this game.

3-1

Round 5 vs Jin with Magnemite.dec

*Quick FLASHBACK: At nats this year, I got paired against Jin round 9 when we were both 6-2. I got a lone Sneasel going 2nd against his Jirachi. He makes a wish, benches onix, and passes. I draw, whiff on a mentor, so I drag off Onix. Jin responds with a squirtle, candy, stoise, steelix, water, water, castform, mudslide FTW. BAD BEAT OF THE CENTURY!*

I open with a Sneasel against his Holon's Magnemite. I play a dark and drag off for 20. he draws, and flips his hand up in disgust. NO MORE BASICS! REVENGER FOR NATS! BRING THE RUCKUS! GOD IM SO GOOD AT POKEMON! Sorry Jin :-D.

4-1

Round 6 vs Chris Shell with Jumpluff/Pidgeot d

Jumpluff isnt very good against Dragontie to begin with, but some bad flips from Chirs certainly helped me out a bit. He got the Pidgeot d out, but no Holon Energy with it, so I just dragged it off twice for 50 with Sneasel, then had Dragontie go through his Grass things.

5-1

Round 7 vs Yohei Takeda with LBS

First JPN player of the day. I'm undefeated against foreign players in my LIFE, so I wasn't worried. He got his T2 Pidgeot, but I lunasoled it, drug off stoise, Electroded it, then went through everything with Sneasel. gg.

6-1

Round 8 vs Yuta Komatsuda with Metadrag

Another JPN player, so I'm not worried :-D. He gets a fast Gross, but I'm able to Dark Ring it for a OHKO. He gets a few more out, but he can't keep much energy in play from my constant OHKOs. Easy match.

7-1

So I'm 3rd seed going into day 2.

Top 32 vs Ken Yukuhiro with Eeveelutions

Another Japaneese player :-D. CUPCAKE PAIRINGS!

Game 1: He opens with an Eevee vs my Sneasel. He plays a rainbow, and calls for a Pidgey. I Mentor for my Luna/sol/Dratini, and Drag off Pidgey. He candy/Pidgeots, evolves to Flareon, plays a boost, hits my Sneasel for 70, and I flip tails for burn. YIKES! He's kinda card dead after that though with a lack of Quicksearch, so I make the comeback fairly easily.

Game 2: I get a fast start, he doesnt get much. I dark ring a bunch of things for the win. GGs Ken.

8-1

Top 16 vs Yohei Takeda with LBS

4 Japaneese players in a row. YIKES!

Game 1: He gets a god start against my not much. I'm able to KO his Lugia, but I can't take down much after that. I scoop pretty early.

Game 2: I get a better start this game. I Lunasol his Pidgeot, and Drag off his Wartortle. He hits me for 20, and I dark trode his Wartortle for the KO. He's somehow able to respond with a Sqirtle, candy, stoise IMMEDIATLY, and KOs my trode. Eventually, I have one prize left to his 2. He has a Lugia fuly built. He reversals my Sneasel... TAILS! Phew. A few turns later he has the reversal for the win AGAIN... TAILS! Lucky me. He scoops after the second whiff.

Game 3: I get a god start to his mediocre one. Time gets called when I'm up 3-6 on him. GGs Yohei.

Top 8 vs Jimmy Ballard with Eeveelutions

Game 1: He goes first with Pidgey against my Sneasel. I said to Jimmy, "Let's see the Candy/Pidgeot" and he didnt disapont me. UGH! I couldnt get a mentor to get my Luna/sol out, so I went agro Sneasel on him, and ended up Dark Ringing most of his Eeveelutions for the OHKO. He scooped towards the end.

Game 2: I go first with Dratini/Solrock/Pass. He draws, plays a Bills Matinenece, and Pidgey/Candy/Pidgeots me... DONKEY! :-D. I scooped about 5 turns in when it got to Dragonair vs Pidgeot/Flareon/Joleton.

Game 3: We both get good starts. I play my Lunasol just incase even though he doesnt have a Pidgey. At one point he has a 5 card hand. Card#1: Stump. No big deal, only 4 cards left in his hand, so I drop my Lunatone and Solrock, as opposed to my Trode and Dragonair. Cards #2-4: Celio, Candy, Pidgeot. DONKEY DONKEY DONKEY DONKEY DONKEY DONKEY DONKEY !!! Anywho, I was up 5-4 with about 3 mins left in the game. Jimmy has JUST a Pidgeot and Flareon EX with 90 dammage on it. He plays the Eevee, candys to Jolteon for 10 to my Sneasel, plays the Charm on Flareon, Admins, time gets called, and he Heat Tackles my Sneasel for the win. sicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksick.......

So 1 more turn, and Chuck becomes your first ever TWO TIME WORLD CHAMPION! Ohh well, at first I had some SOUR GRAPES towards Jimmy, but when I cooled down, I realized that not only would I have done the exact same thing in the same situation, but I had a 75% chance to be knocked out in the top 16 match in the first place, so it's all good. I can handle the VARIENCE!

Props:
- Jason Klaczynski: The second best Pokemon player in the world, and one of the best friends a guy could ask for. With a little work, he may actually be as good as me some day :-D.
- Jimmy Ballard: Way to take down Jermy and keep it an all Chi-Town finals. You definately deserved it.
- E4: WERE SO GOOD AT POKEMON!

Slops:
- Time Limit: I don't wanna get into it, but this is the only issue that makes me question the Judgement of the PUI staff. I think Moss said it best during the "Spirit of the game" announcment:

PUI Staff Member: "Today, there should be no issues with stalling"
Moss *Yelling*: "SIDE BET!"

BigChuck01 said:
1/1 Lunatone/Solrock OBV!

Failed to mention where you got the inspiration, I see. ;)

Nice job, Chuck. But it's only natural that your performance was so great: who could have expected anything less from a former World Champ? ;/

My tech, My tech!!! ;p
Good job Chuck. I wanted you to take Draggy further. Your matchups actually do look like you would've been favorite the rest of the way and taken it.

SuperWooper said:
Failed to mention where you got the inspiration, I see. ;)

Nice job, Chuck. But it's only natural that your performance was so great: who could have expected anything less from a former World Champ? ;/
Seena should have been slammed with a pillow while he was sleeping inbetween rounds. ;) Anyways, Chuck I wish you would have at least made t4, your BETTER THAN JASON.

Great job Alex. I had a whole lot of fun hanging out with you this year. I hope to see you again real soon. Shrimp sauce for life. NEDM.

I'll do Boyfriends for 10.

You should thank GOD you never ran into an EM Milotic tech during swiss

Can you say autoloss?!

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry for all of the donkeys. But 5th place isnt something to complain about... Eeveelutions pwn!

God I wish I had friends like yours. -_-

Good play, like the deck. Player whiffed admin........what, by that time you had 1, 2 prizes left? wow.
congrats on your T-8.
Rick

I still can't believe Chuck won Worlds three years in a row!!

EDIT: Where the ____ is _________? I just wanna ____ ___ ______ out!

Last edited:
"I won Worlds in 1999, 2000, AND 2001 I swear to GOD!"

Good talking to you and stuff Alex. One spot away from winning a trip to HAWAII though.

BRING THE RUCKUS!

Just thinking about 1st and 2nd place winners living around the midwest is kinda cool. I guess when it all comes down to it, the midwest does have some really good players in the nation (maybe the world, lol). Anyway, congrats to everyone of the top finalists and good job for making the U.S. #1 for another year. Can't wait for next season....

CMT

Moss Factor said:
I still can't believe Chuck won Worlds three years in a row!!

EDIT: Where the ____ is _________? I just wanna ____ ___ ______ out!

Leaving the elevator.

God Chuck, you're so good looking and so good at pokemon. What can't you do?

major props
sucks to lose the way you did =/. i find myself saying this to a few too many players this year =/
couldve shouldve wouldve was all over worlds this year
anyways nice job dude ill hopefully catch you next year

Back