Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chuck's Midwest Regionals Report

Howdy yall! Just woke up after a nice "sleep 8 hours, wake up for 2, and go back to sleep for 8 more" session. Woke up Saturday at 5:30 am, didnt get back till 4am Sunday, and had to work from 6am-1pm Sunday! Twas rough, but it was worth it to become the only 19 TIME REGIONAL CHAMPION!! Anyways, Ness and I both knew we were running Shiftry for at least 3 weeks, as the deck killed everything but Flariados in playtesting. Not gunna post a list, not because im a STUPID DECK HIDING 1337 JERK WTH, but because after my report, it'll be almost 100% obvious, as the list is SOOOOO basic and TecHless.

Round 1 vs Lady with Kabutops/Machamp.

Yea, just my luck. First round and I get something thats actually going be be difficult. I go first with a Lickitung vs her Fossil and Machop, lap up for a Mentor. She Celios for a Machamp (UGH), lays a fighting on the fossil, etc. Long story short, we both get set up, but she wastes a lot of turns using Kabutops 20+drag off attack on benched Liki's/Shiftrys, so I'm able to pick the Machamps off the bench, and deal with the weak Kabutops no problem.

1-0

Round 2 vs Abe w/ Delta

I hate this matchup not cause it's hard, but because theres so much math and planning. I think Jason and I are the only people in the world who are a favorite over Delta with Shiftry, as you have to be sick smart to do it. Anyways, we both set up and I start spreadin damage on his eggys while he split bombs me. Finally it gets down to 1-1. I have a damageless shiftry with DPP active and a shiftry with 100 on the bench against his Raichu with a Metal. The Darks in my 5 card deck, and Abe knows it, so he attaches the 2nd Metal to Raichu, prays to GOD I whiff the dark, and Zaaaaps. 5 Card deck, draw... whiff. Do a little thinking to make sure the darks gunna be the game decider, and it is. Trans the discard for the Adv and draw 3 of the last 4. Come on baby! Card 1... Whiff, Card 2.... Whiff, Card 3......... Whiff :(. Dark is the very last card in the deck, UGH! I actually still have a way to win though. I retreat for a Seedot, attach a Multi, and use continuous tumble needing 9 heads for the win (1/512). First flip... tails :(. gg.

1-1

Round 3 vs Jim (I think) with Blazeiken

I think there was something else in here, but he got really unlucky and could never get anything more than a Torchic. We both started weak, ut eventually a Shiftry ended the game.

2-1

Round 4 vs Dave C. with Destiny

We both get some bad luck with energy early. I have the game pretty much sealed about T4 if I hit an energy off a 4 card Sci, but whiff. He has the game pretty much sealed afterwords if he can hit any energy period, but whiffs. Definately one of the lamer games of my career. Eventually though I started drawing into stuff before he could, not stole the win.

3-1

Round 5 vs Matt Alvis with Metanite

He starts Dratini against my Licki, does 10 and Para. I mentor, attach to Seedot, and pass. He Mentors, Candy/Grosses, Retreats, and D-draws. I play my hand to 1 and Sci, get a Shiftry out, and start the damage spread. Game gets close towards the mid, but eventually nail 2 Drags and 2 Metas over the course of 3 turns, and then finish off his Groudon ex ftw.

4-1

Round 6 vs Pooka with MSN

Ugh, I thought this was an auto win but it's actually really close. Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until top 8, cause this "game" was barely even a game. I open with a Seedot/Candy/Shiftry pass, and procede to pass a lil more. Finally I lap up whiff, he KOs it. I lap up whiff 2 more times, he grabs 2 more KOs. Yea, I've never had that bad of a draw before. UGH!

4-2

Round 7 vs Tracy with Ttar ex/Cargo

I got a fast Shiftry vs a Fast T-Tar, but being able to hit it first on the bench is a big advantage for me. Eventually got FOUR Shiftrys out, but the deal was kinda sealed after 2. On a side note, she had a really cool play-mat, and I guess my fav color is red :-D.

5-2: 9th Place

Top 16 vs Abe with Delta

Game 1: Game 1 I mulligan 5 times, and he gets D-Draw for 4 turn 1. I set up OK, but in the end, his Briney does me in and puts me behind the turn I needed.

Game 2: Another close one. I was about to scoop after I had to lead with a Lap up via Dark agaisnt a D-Draw for 4, but I actually had a hand that would allow me access to Multiple Shiftrys if I hit a Mentor off lap up, which I did. Got down to 1-1 and the game was decided on if I had the Dark again, which I held this time :-D.

Game 3: about 4 mins left, so I "take my time" I guess. I play a Dark and drawup power for another dark. He Mentors and d-draws. I PETM and time is called while I'm searching. Search for the Nuzleaf, attach 2nd Dark, and Plunder for game. Sorry Abe :(.

6-2

Top 8 vs Pooka with MSN

Game 1: We both start off aight. He Delta Draws and I set up Multiple Shiftrys. He makes the mistake of benching his Lati* without a way to Shooting* me in 2 turns, so I just hit it for 30 and 50 for the KO. After that he couldnt get much going, and scoops.

Game 2: We both start strong again, but I'm not able to get damage on the Onix before it turns to Steelix, so when it gets up there, it pretty much has a field day with me. I think I ended up 4hkoing it, just to get Latied for the loss :(.

Game 3: Pooka gets a horrible start vs my T2 Shiftry with DD. Eventually gets going, but time is low and hes too far behind. I end up winning by 2 prizes when times called. Sorry Pooks :(

7-2

Top 4 vs Christian with Meta/Meta ex/Flygon ex

Game 1: We both start out strong. I hit some early Shiftrys, but he hits a T3. Gross, Candy Gross, Candy Gross ex, double conductivity, attach, Scanblast killing 2 Lickitungs. UGH! Fortunately I was able to stick a Cursed stone, and all the grosses went down fast. He was able to Lati* me a little later, but it wasnt quite enough.

Game 2: This time I wasnt able to beat his T2 Candy Gross Candy Flygon ex d. He ended up benching me out turn 4.

Game 3: We both got strong starts. I hit multiple Shiftrys against the T2 Gross/Flygon again (This kid plays 12 Rare Candy, I SWEAR!). Things started getting kinda bad a few turns in though. First he realized he had 7 prizes, then he "KOed" me when he was an energy short. I could tell he was really nervous (I'd be nervous against a 125 time World Champ too!), but he knew the judge was being a little too easy on him, so he scooped to me in a pretty close game 3. Kinda curious as to how it woulda played out, but... yea. Anways, Christian has only been playing for about 6 months, and hes already making the cut in the hardest metagame in the WORLD. This kid really impresses me, skill wise and heart wise.

8-2

Finals vs Bigginz with Destiny

Game 1: Open with a Licki vs Latios ex d. He attaches and passes, I do 30. He Mentors for all his stuff and does 30, I mentor and do 30 more. He starts building an eggs and KOs me, I hit the eggs for 30. He does some crazy stump/tech ex combo which kinda seals the game vs my weak start.

Game 2: I get a strong start vs his Castform. Jimmy and him were kinda complaining about the Castform start, but T1 he mentored for a lat and 2 eggs + delta draw for 3, and that's not a weak opening in my book -_-. Anyways, we both get set up, but my Shiftry is able to Blade Arms his Eggs for a OHKO, and he doesnt get a follow up fast enough.

Game 3: About 6 mins left here. Unfortunately for him, he opens with the 1 Stantler in the deck. I lead with a Multi on Seedot and continuous tumble for 20. He plays an enegry and does 10. I Petm for a Nuzleaf and plunder for 40. He benches an Eggs, attaches to Stantler, and pushes away for 20 and nails a Mentor. I play a Shiftry and hit the eggs for 30. He attached to eggs and confuses my Shiftry. I draw, PETM for a Nuzleaf, and time is called. Retreat Shiftry for Nuzleaf, and pound the Stantler for game. GGs man ;-D.

9-2

Props to all!

Slops to Foisy!!

Chuck is number 1 at everything. Poker, Pokemon, Life... yeah, he rules.

Yeah, I actually thought I had the stuff to Shooting Star, but I misread my hand. OOPS! But afterwards I thought at the very least it'd buy me time to keep Delta Drawing, but I didn't get enough to respond. GGs as usual! I'm not too sour because the day moved me up to 8th in rating. :D

Congrats on the win!

"Are you a comedian? You look like one."

Congrats to you on your win! Glad to hear you got caught up on some sleep finally too! Sure was a long night. I'm impressed with how everyone did on those final matches running on as little sleep as they had!

Congrats again!

ARRGGHH I HATE YOU :mad: ...LOL...sour grapes...

Seriously I had a really great time playing you Chuck, your one of the best players I have ever had the privilege of playing against and I hope that we can go at it again. It was really one of the best games I have ever played and I hope that next time I can make things more challenging for sure. See you around!

CMT

good job man time sucks wish there was no time limit would have played that third game diffrnt o well good game see u at nats

nice job chuck, and thanks for the comment. Game 3 would have been close and fun. But your soo good that I was too scared to play it out :thumb:.

Chuck said:
has only been playing for about 6 months, and hes already making the cut in the hardest metagame in the WORLD. This kid really impresses me, skill wise and heart wise.

Florida!?!?!

Back