Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Closed Nationals : a reality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel

According to the information I have, PUI has decided that Nationals will be closed events next year.

That means that, like Italy or Switzerland did in 2005, Nationals will be open to residents of the country only.

No US players at the Canadian National anymore, no player from another European country at a National anymore.

If I may agree on the idea of giving the trip and invite to the first ranked player of the country at the National, I don't understand why Nationals have to be closed events.
To be sure no foreign player will get a booster or a cup ? Too stupid to be true when people talk about International POP. At least I hope so !

If, in the USA, that decision will not have a lot of consequences, things are different in Europe.

Let's have a look at the levels of tournaments in most of the European countries :

- local events
- City championships : most of the time same as a local event with a different name
- Prereleases : like in the USA but at with a different fee (30 USD !)
- Regionals : none in most of the countries
- States : same as Regionals
- National : would be closed
- Gym Challenges or any other name : only 1 in 2005 and honestly I don't see any LD who would invest on their own costs in an international event next year (and take the risk to see foreign players getting trips and boosters).

Conclusion : while my US friends have a lot of opportunities to play main events and play against players of different parts of the country, the European player will only have the opportunity to play local events and a National with the same players he meets so often at the local events. That's real fun !

That would be the end of the international aspect of the game, and a very negative point for the community of players.

Please note I don't even talk about prizes, but only about the opportunity to do what the game is made for ... play and have fun !

What would you say if a player from 1 US State was prevented of playing premiere events in another State ?
That's the situation we'd have in Europe with closed Nationals.

Honestly I don't see why Nationals must be closed events.
But putting money in a game that provides only local events and no other international event than a World championship (which is not affordable for the huge majority of the European players) seems more and more silly to me.

I can't believe this... I'll wait til it's confirmed until i cry....

I've been in contact with the Swedish and the Danish ND and we've mentioned arranging bus tours to each others countries to participate in their Nationals. We've even talked with someone in Finland about this... We could actually combine our "force" to make Pokemon even bigger in our countries, b/c for instance pokemon isn't too big in Sweden, but when the swedish players and TO's can see the enormous potential in pokemon (just by seeing the hordes coming in from it's neighboring countries), hopes were that we'd carry the load together... Besides Norway, Sweden and Denmark aren't any different than east coast ppl compared to west coast ppl in USA... But now, if Michel is correct, the chance of bringing the european pokemon community closer is seriously damaged... I'd like to hear the REALLY good reasons for doing this...

Last edited:
Dang....Now i can't officly bring the canadian title back to our soil with out anyone to challegne it....

lol the only canadians to t4 at canadian nats where from alberta...we pawnXD

I wanna defend my title again =(
Honestly though, I don't see why anyone shouldn't be allowed to go, if someone else wins, they deserve to win anyway.

Tsk Tsk Tsk...

Has this been confirmed for sure?

It wouldn't make a difference for me, I'll never be able to go to Nats.

Too bad, hope that it turns out it isn't true.

No official confirmation given by Jarrod or anyone from PUI, Mum.

You'll maybe say that, as long as we don't have such a confirmation, there is no need to talk about it.

But I've got the info from different sources that are usually very well informed, and the probability that this info is correct seems high enough to me to talk about it here.

In addition to that, the impact on the European community is so important that I think it's interesting to talk about it now and say what we think about it before the decision is officially made public.

You already have Daddiursa's reaction and you see his plans for the next Nationals.
May we say that it would be bad for the game ?

He's talking about Nothern European countries. This year I've played Nationals in Belgium, France and Holland. At each of these tournaments we've seen players from different countries. Exactly the same has happened in Germany and maybe in other countries too.

Like in the USA with players traveling from one state to another, there are European players who love to play abroad and meet new (or old) friends and players.

That aspect of the game and community seems important enough to me to talk about a decision, maybe not official yet, but coming from the mouth of usually good informed people.

rrr the french situation with asmodee is already a disaster, we really don't need that !
I hope it's not true :(

Seeing that I'll probably be playing more tournaments this year, I can't see how this is a bad thing for a particular country. The knife cuts both ways as well. I can't enter and win the US nationals either - though I'd love to have the chance to try. If the US Nationals are being held at Origins this year like it was last year, it is within driving distance for me. But if there's no chance, then that will cut down on the number of people I would normally bring down to major events, and possibly stop me from even considering going. The only thing I might consider going for is the professor tournament.

If this is indeed the way it's going to happen, here's your chance to develop home grown talent, without any outside interference. Work on promoting the game to the players on that fact and get as many participants as you can showing that even the "skrubs" (as is mentioned on another thread - you can see that thread really bothers me) have a better chance now.

afirule said:
oh well, we'll just have to invade other countries regionals/state championships instead!
there is no such thing in Germany and i think the rest of Europe as well!
I even think that Germany has one of the best distributor and organized play, besides UK and a few others! But we still don't have those events!
Happily we have every fourth of a year one main event (not ran by an official) where we have player numbers around the 50s and up! That's mainly the only chance to do something like that. But closed Nationals I think should be the choice of the distributor and not PUI, since it's Pokemon USA Inc! But if they want to do that they can go ahead and do it, but if they do something like that and interfer with the distributor they could add some Trip Money! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

your lucky french distributor is the worst you can have, we send a letter to jarrod about our situation ...

That would be very, very, ugly for the europian pokemon posse =(
I wanted to go to +-4 nationals this season =(

Hey if this will be reality I will laugh to my big brother who is as an exchange student in Germany :p and he of course isn't resident of Germany,well mayde he can settle it somehow...

Venusaur said:
I think it's ok if they do this for North America nationals, since there's only 3 countries. But in Europe they should let you go to any national you want to since there's like 69 countries.

Doesn't Brazil have OP, too? That makes at least 4 countries...

EDIT
OK, so I should have read Jeremy's post more carefuly...I'm scatter-brained somtimes! lol

Last edited:
You missed THAT? :lol:

Well, I guess they should let this up to LD. I mean, they let LD handle everything, why not this as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back