Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

College...

Strike

From my own personal choices and experiences, it seems to me that college forces players to decide how far they want to continue with pokemon. As in my case, I gave it up for other priorities. However, I'm sure there are others out there that have made the choice to continue playing pokemon in college.

So I ask, where are you college players out there? And, oh yeah, where are you attending school at?I'll get the ball rolling here.

please feel free to add any comments about experiences you have had with handling pokemon and college.

me: enjoying pokemon retirement
School: University of San Francisco
Year: 2nd (sophomore)

Last edited:
Not really. We have league at UW-Whitewater on Saturdays and Janesville league on Sundays. Plus we're going to a tournament in a few weeks.

Strike said:
From my own personal choices and experiences, it seems to me that college forces players to decide how far they want to continue with pokemon. As in my case, I gave it up for other priorities. However, I'm sure there are others out there that have made the choice to continue playing pokemon in college.

So I ask, where are you college players out there? No, community college does NOT count, unless you are living alone. And, oh yeah, where are you attending school at?I'll get the ball rolling here.

please feel free to add any comments about experiences you have had with handling pokemon and college.

me: enjoying pokemon retirement
School: University of San Francisco
Year: 2nd (sophomore)
Well, I WAS a college student, but I've recently graduated. :biggrin: Got me my BS in IT!! W00t!!

But anywho...

When I was in college, I was playing both Poke and Yugi at my campus pretty much 3 - 5 days a week. Now granted, this wasn't a league, as we didn't have any TO's or anything, nor was I able to go to some major tournaments because of the work-load, but it didn't halt me in my playing at all. I mean, I've gotta find something to fill in those 3 hour gaps in my schedule... and I know kickin' butt in the arcade wasn't as exciting as what it once was. =P

But to go along with what you have here:

Me: Fully active, even more-so now.
School (Former): DeVRY University
Year: OUTTA THERE!! YAY!!!

University of Illinois, Freshman, playing and trying to help a new league get established fully.

Harper Community College
1st year student out of 3 years total (then a state school/university for 2 years for Bachelor's Degree)

Last edited:
Yeah man what u mean about no community colleges

MINES :

Bronx communtiy college
Bronx, NY
ANd still playing pokemon and going to school for free LOL

Iowa State University
Ames, IA

The Pokemon League is held at a comic shop (Mayhem Collectibles) across the street from the south side of campus; about 3 blocks from the student Union, but nicely nestled between two sets of dorms (Campus town divides the dorms from each other).

I actually stopped playing (more accurately buying) during my senior year of Highschool. I started buying packs again and playing again in the Spring of '01, I believe (my second Semester of college). I am finally finishing my Bachelor's Degree in Business (Logistics and Supply Chain Management). Took a little longer because I changed majors not once, but twice.

That's the funny thing: when I got to college, I finally stopped caring so much about what other people thought of my hobbies.

I'm going to UW-Milwaukee, during spring and i don't plan on stopping, my league here in MO will have to get a new owner and i probably won't be a league owner anymore but i'll continue playing.

i don't get why you wouldn't be able to....college does take a lot of your time but you're also still left with a lot of time for you.

Last edited:
School: Western Michigan University
Year: Junior

Basically Regionals, GCs, Nats, and Worlds only take place during the summer, and those are the only events that give out scholarships. I just play during the summer and do schoolwork during the fall, winter, and spring months. I probably won't be going to any prereleases, or to cities, states, etc. But those don't matter anyways! You just gotta focus on getting that invite along with scholarships and then make a big push for worlds.

I figured that community colleges there really is not the university experience that one would have (I.E. dorm life, moving out, etc.). But I guess I made a mistake with that one becasue yes it is still the work that comes with college that must be taken into account. I'll fix this right now.

Just starting my freshman year at The University of the Sciences in Philly, and hoping to stay in the Poke-light.

Penn State University, freshman.
Pokemon status: Haven't played an actual game in a while. I will continue to write my articles and do what I can to keep Pokeschool alive until I reach a predetermined point in time.

University of Washington, junior

I live fairly close to campus, so I guess I'm living more of a community college experience than the dorm life and moving out most students have to go through. Nothing really changed in my pokemon career, except missing a few oppurtunities to judge a prerelease due to finals falling on the exact same day (seriously, what idiotic math department gives out finals on saturdays?).

Otaku said:
That's the funny thing: when I got to college, I finally stopped caring so much about what other people thought of my hobbies.
Can I get an "AAAAAMMMMEEEEENNNNN!!!!!!"

*Crickets chirp..*

... no love man... no love. :wink:

I'm at George Mason University, freshman year. I could drive to league every saturday, if i could drive -_- But i'm still playing on apprentice etc.

what, no bus system? my league is bout 2 mi away from my dorm, but the bus goes right past both places...

Back