Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Colorless energy

bytor

Whenever a new set comes out with new theme decks, I always check the rule book to see if there are any changes or adjustments. I just checked a team aqua them deck rule book and thought I saw a line in there saying that all types of energy (including metal and dark) can provide colorless energy. The text on the newest dark energy states that it provides dark energy. (same with the latest metal)

Which is it? Can dark/metal provide colorless?

Colorless energy can be any kind of energy: fire, metal, water, dark, etc. The only difference is that you wouldn't get the extra damage from darkness energy unless the Pokemon is a dark type.

:colorless (colorless) : means that there is no colour specific requirement. So one :colorless is another way of saying one unit of energy of any type.

Last edited:
bytor said:
Whenever a new set comes out with new theme decks, I always check the rule book to see if there are any changes or adjustments. I just checked a team aqua them deck rule book and thought I saw a line in there saying that all types of energy (including metal and dark) can provide colorless energy. The text on the newest dark energy states that it provides dark energy. (same with the latest metal)

Which is it? Can dark/metal provide colorless?

Can you give an example of the difference you are trying to nail down would be significant and would lead to a different result in game terms?

Pokepop.
My take on the "literal" translation of the latest dark energy from (ruby/saphire...I think) says that darkness energy provides darkness energy. Now, I know it does not state "only" provides darkness energy. But it does have that one line in there about providing darkness energy so I guess I may actually be reading more into it than necessary. Just seems odd that the line would be put in there if it also can provide colorless energy. I guess maybe it is just a foregone conclusion that ANY energy has the ability to provide colorless. (unless otherwise stated)

This stems partly from my playing neo genesis sneasel (just to show the other players why some cards get banned from official tournaments :)

The card has a colorless attack for one energy which I never use because the only energies I ever put on the card are darkenss energies.

A colorless attack requirement can be filled by ANY color of energy.

Looking at the R/S (or TMvTA) rule book page 10:
Any kind of Energy - :grass: , :fire: ,W, :lightning , :psychic: , :fighting: , :colorless ,D, or M - can count toward Colorless Energy requirements ( :colorless ).

Back