Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Combee attacks at Spokanes BRs 10/9 and 10/10

sunchris

So I decided that if I was going to go to any BRs this season these two were going to be my only choices. I brought two decks later on deciding just to use only one deck for both the BRs. So my deck choice is……Vespiquen! And for those that I faced I’m completely sorry for not remembering any names….I can remember faces but names are really hard for me.

So let’s get to the actual tournament:

Saturday 10/9 Spokane Valley
28 Masters 5 Rounds Top 4

R1: Vs Jean Luc C (Flygon/Gengar)
I’ve never really seen this kind of deck before so I had no idea of what to truly and he had no idea of what was going to come from me. It got pretty intense about halfway through. We both had an okay setup where we actually judged each other twice so we were messing with each others hands keeping both of us from getting setup. About halfway through I finally got setup and that’s were I started to roll even though I was down 6-4 in prizes. I managed to get my bench setup with 2 Cherrim SF and 2 benched Vespiquens, 1 SF and 1 UD, and a Quen with Mem Bem active, while he has Flygon X, Uxie active, a fainting spell Gengar, and a Nidoqueen on his field, I go on a enraged assault (lol on COMBEE) and KO the Flygon and Uxie. In the mean time he gets another Gengar powered up and he tries Poltergiest but I had nothing in my hand but energies and I KO the gengar with enraged assault with poison so Vespiquen doesn’t get targeted with Fainting Spell. After that my luck seemed to run out I took another prize so up 2-4 and he brings out Nidoqueen and just destroys me for his final prizes. Definitely a fun exciting match. GG!

0-1

R2: Vs Johnathan P (Espeon/Umbreon)
So the moment I saw the evee I knew that I was in trouble. I had to make sure that I kept a combee unevolved to make sure I can get the kill. I get setup much faster having him fall into my combee trap. He moonlight fangs my vespiquen, I go and retreat Quen and bring out Combee with expert Belt also I have Cherrim AR on the bench. I do Enraged assault for KO. He managed to get Espeon Prime, Espeon MD, and Umbreon Prime all out but my Combee and Quen were just too much. I win with him taking only 1 prize. GG!

1-1

R3: Chris ? (Gengar/Metagross)
I never did see the actually Gengar come on to the field. He started out crappy and I had an excellent Hand. He has Gastly and Beldum on the field I managed to get combee, combee, and cherubi to start with (the only time in both tourneys I start out with 3 basic lol) I go second. I get setup my T2 and by that time he had no way to counter and I roll again. GG!

2-1

R3: Issac K. (Persian, Dodrio, Noctowl)
This was actually a really good deck idea. I’ve again never seen this so I had no idea of what to do. I remember that he manages to use 4 powers and draw 4 more cards after I judge him lol. This time we end up trading prizes with him always taking the prizes until it was 3-3 then I take out a Persian with expert Belt and a Noctowl with an expert the next turn and win. It was a very fun deck. We kept joking around about him decking himself lol. GG!

3-1

R4: ??? (Machamp/Donphan/Scizor Prime)
So I was excited cause for one it’s a match up that I have a pretty good chance to win and only two people were 4-0 at this point meaning out of the last 8 people who where 3-1 only two would top cut. So he starts 2 scythers and I 1 cherubi and 1 paras with probably my worst hand. He goes first and passes after he draws. I have paras active and I attach a grass and put scyther asleep. He fails on sleep, attaches to benched scyther and passes. After a few turns and me taking 2 prizes I have a parasect, cherubi SF, and a Vespiquen, he managed to get Donphan and two Machamps on the bench. I take out Donphan but his machamps roll over me even though I had a slight advantage. I loose to his Machamp Take Out on my poor Tropius. Lol! GG!

3-2

So I find out that I went from 5th in the rankings (made me happy to be that high) to 10th. I was pretty proud with my deck for getting me in the top ten. I also found out that a side tournament was going on while the top 4 played so I entered.

Side Tourney: 15 Masters 4 Rounds No top cut

R1: ??????

My opponent never got his deck completed for this so I was given a win by forfeit.

1-0

R2: Vs Jean Luc C (Gengar/Flygon) again!
So this time everything goes a lot better for him then the last time we played. I only managed to take 1 prize. GG!

1-1

R3: Issac K. (Persian, Dodrio, Noctowl) again!
So pretty much it went the same way the first matchup went. He got setup and I just steamed rolled with out him taking a prize. GG!

2-1

R4: ??? (Machamp/Donphan/Scizor Prime) again!
So I was getting some weird feelings cause it seemed like a pattern was showing up with both who I played and how the end results, but this time I get a much better setup then the first time and take the game 4 turns in! GG!

3-1

So I find out that the only two 3-0s where playing each other so my chances of the top were pretty much out. We get the results and I get third. Woot! So all in all for Saturday I go 6-3!

Sunday 10/10 Spokane limited to 36 players
29 Masters 4 Rounds (Limited Time) Top 4

So I get really mad cause I get lost on the way to the tourney and barely make it in time before everyone rushed in to get the decklist. I decided to run Quen again considering how well it went yesterday.

R1: James L. (Luxchomp w/DGX)
I’m like OMG cause this was the first Luxchomp that I’ve ever played so I was expecting a blowout from him. He starts with Crobat G and I have a paris and cherubi start. I go second and I had a crappy hand with no energy so I judged. I guess it got rid of a lot of stuff that he needed and I got stuff that I absolutely needed. He takes an early 2 prize lead giving me my Quen’s body powered up by 2 Cherrim SF and 1 Cherrim AR, Quen UD with 1 damage and mem bem, and a Parasect benched and a Qeun SF active. I go on a rampaged KOing an uxie, and Luxray, and Garchomp. Then my worst nightmare happened….he brought out DGX. I was really mad cause when this happened I was up 1-4 prizes and I just lost all my bodies, that includes bench protection, additional power, and damage reduction….i was crying on the inside. Time is called and it goes to the +3 with mine being turn 0 since time was called during my turn. I have a belted Quen with 30 damage on it and a belted Cherrim AR with 20 damage on it along with the rest of the bench minus the UD Quen, while he has a Luxray X, Garchomp C (later on making it X and saving his Garchomp), Uxie X, and later on his turn a Crobat G with the Luxray Active. I do Bee Powder instead of Bee Drain (Ultimately killed me in end) and try to go for the lucky 2 heads that might have won me the game….fail. He goes puts 60 damage and a Flash Bite on my Quen. So I go and Bee powder again, roll for 2 heads that might win me and….fail. He draws a Poke Turn on his final turn of the +3, Trade Off and grabs another Poke Turn. He poke Turns Crobat twice KOing Quen for 2 prizes then I bring up cherrim and he retreats Luxray and Dragon Rushes my Cherrim AR for KO and taking his last 2 prizes. I was really surprised and everyone else was surprised even the judge at that ending. GG!
0-1

R2: Robert W. (Tangrowth/Yanmega/Landmin)
I start with combee and he starts with yanma. I have a perfect 2nd turn hand with Bebe’s grass energy, 2 Rainbows, and Pokemon Collector, but alas I go first. I attached a Grass and enraged assault for 20. He goes attaches a Grass and Expert belt to yanma and DONKs me…I was like “WHAT!?” I knew it was going to happen at some point but after the last match I didn’t think it would be like that. GG!

0-2

R3: ??? (Arceus)
This was horrible. He starts 2 Fire Arceus and me a paras and combee. He manages to get one Arceus powered up and he KOs everything that I have pretty much. He also keeps rolling heads on the energy discard so he’s able to attack multiple times. He steamrolls me and I only take 1 prize. GG

0-3

R4: BYE
I was really disappointed because I really wanted to redeem myself with the last battle and it never happened, but at least I got a win lol.

1-3

So all in all my deck had some really good games and my deck had some really horrible games but I had a lot of fun and made the right choice with my deck. I made a lot of great friends and made some decent trades that gave me a whole lot of ideas now. Those whose name that I forgot again I'm deeply sorry that I didn't pay attention more then I should've.

Props:
Everyone being real friendly
All the wonderful Trades
Meeting people from last year and new ones from this year
Combee for being Combee
Pulling Vileplume and Scizor Prime in same pack
Pulling Garchomp C X out of 11 SV packs

Slops:
It rained all night and all day Sunday
The Bye

Last edited:
Hey there. This is Robert, I was your second round opponent today. Were you able to get back home safely? Thanks for coming all the way up to Spokane, it makes me feel special knowing people come from another city over here.

I can help out with some of your ??? rounds based on what I remember:

R2: Vs ??? (Espeon/Umbreon)

I think this was Johnathan P. I remember playing him at League before the tournament started and remember hearing about what decks people were playing.

R3: ??? (Persian, Dodrio, Noctowl)

Definitely Issac K. Played him my last match today. Very unique deck.

R3: Chris ? (Gengar/Metagross)

Most likely Issac's dad.

R4: ??? (Machamp/Donphan/Scizor Prime)

I'm not sure. Anthony K. was playing this deck today, he was playing a Machamp deck for sure yesterday.

R1: ??? (Luxchomp w/DGX)

Either James or Adrian S., they both top-cutted with SP decks like this. Depends on the color of the sleeves. James was playing with some very fancy gold sleeves I recall.

R2: ??? (Tangrowth/Yanmega/Landmin)

This is me. I thought the second match we had was a lot more fun and fair. (Robert W. for the record ;) )

R3: ??? (Arceus)

I remember the face, didn't catch the name. Did pretty well though since it was his first time there. So did most of the group he brought too interestingly.

Oh, and if you decide to come to the pre-release, the ones out here are on Fridays at 5. Very unusual, but something to note.

Thanks for coming again! :)

Back