Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Compendium Updates for September 7th, 2023 (Part 1)

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
Last edited: Thursday, September 7th, 2023
(Added July 13th & August 31st & September 7th Rulings and FAQ for SV03:Obsidian Flames)

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

This edition of the Rulings Compendium includes:

|
|
* June 29th, 2022 -- NO MEETING (North American Internationals) --
* July 6th, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* July 13th, 2023 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* July 20th, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* July 27th, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* August 3rd, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* SV03: Obsidian Flames FAQ --
* SV03: Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum --
* August 10th, 2022 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* August 17th, 2023 -- NO MEETING (Worlds, Yokohama) --
* August 24th, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* August 31st, 2023 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* September 7th, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* September 7th, 2023 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ERRATA

META-RULINGS

POKEMON ABILITIES

== COUNTERATTACKING PINCER (Klawf ex - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_120>

Q. If I have a Klawf ex with "Counterattacking Pincer" Ability and Rugged Helmet attached to it, what happens if it gets damaged by an opponent's attack from a Fusion Strike Pokemon that has a Fusion Strike Energy and a Double Turbo Energy attached to it?
A. The Counterattacking Pincer ability and Rugged Helmet are triggered simultaneously, so you may choose the order in which they are applied. If you choose the Counterattacking Pincer ability first it will fizzle due to Fusion Strike Energy. However, if you choose to use Rugged Helmet first you can put the Fusion Strike Energy into the opponent's hand and then you can use Counterattacking Pincer to discard the Double Turbo Energy. (Aug 31, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== CURSED LAND (Ting-Lu ex - SV: Paldea Evolved) <SV2_127>

Q. Say Gapejaw Bog stadium and Ting-Lu ex with "Cursed Land" Ability are both in play. If I put Lumineon V onto the Bench, can I use its "Luminous Sign" Ability or will it be blocked because it has damage counters on it?
A. Since Luminous Sign and Gapejaw Bog are simultaneous effects, it is up to the player to choose the order in which they will be applied. (Jul 13, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== DOUBLE TYPE (Scovillain - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_25>

Q. Does a Pokemon with multiple types such as Scovillain with the "Double Type" Ability count for two different types of Pokemon for Toxtricity's "Loud Mix" attack?
A. Yes, Loud Mix checks for the number of types of Pokemon on your Bench, not how many Pokemon there are. (Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== FETTERED IN MISFORTUNE (Spiritomb - SV: Paldea Evolved) <SV2_89>

Q. If my opponent has Spiritomb with the "Fettered in Misfortune" Ability in play, does attaching a Fusion Strike Energy to my Genesect V allow it to use its "Fusion Strike System" Ability or not?
A. Fusion Strike Energy protects Genesect V from the effect of Fettered in Misfortune, so yes it would be able to use its Fusion Strike System Ability. (Jul 13, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== FUSION STRIKE SYSTEM (Genesect V - SW: Fusion Strike) <SWSH8_185>

Q. If my opponent has Spiritomb with the "Fettered in Misfortune" Ability in play, does attaching a Fusion Strike Energy to my Genesect V allow it to use its "Fusion Strike System" Ability or not?
A. Fusion Strike Energy protects Genesect V from the effect of Fettered in Misfortune, so yes it would be able to use its Fusion Strike System Ability. (Jul 13, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== LUMINOUS SIGN (Lumineon V - SW: Brilliant Stars) <SWSH9_40>

Q. Say Gapejaw Bog stadium and Ting-Lu ex with "Cursed Land" Ability are both in play. If I put Lumineon V onto the Bench, can I use its "Luminous Sign" Ability or will it be blocked because it has damage counters on it?
A. Since Luminous Sign and Gapejaw Bog are simultaneous effects, it is up to the player to choose the order in which they will be applied. (Jul 13, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== NEW MOON (Lunatone - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_92>

Q. If Pokemon League Headquarters is in play and I have Lunatone with the "New Moon" Ability and also Solrock in play, do my Basic Pokemon have an extra {C} cost to their Attacks?
A. No, but your opponent's Pokemon do. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If Lost City stadium is in play and Lunatone's "New Moon" Ability is active, what happens if multiple Pokemon including Lunatone & Solrock are KO'd?
A. All KO's are evaluated simultaneously, so if the New Moon ability was active all KO'd Pokemon would go to the discard pile. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Would a Solrock coming into play on the bench receive damage counters from Gapejaw Bog if a Lunatone with "New Moon" Ability is in play but the Ability is not active yet (it requires Solrock to also be in play)? Or what if you put that Lunatone onto the bench while Solrock is already in play?
A. New Moon activates immediately when it's condition is met, so in either case the 2 damage counters from Gapejaw Bog would be prevented. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If I have 5 Pokemon on my Bench and Lunatone with "New Moon" Ability and Solrock are in play, what happens if my opponent plays Collapsed Stadium? Would I have to discard any Benched Pokemon or does "New Moon" prevent that?
A. The effect of Collapsed Stadium is being done to the player's bench size, not to the Pokemon on the bench; so New Moon would not protect them and you would have to discard Benched Pokemon. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== PAINFUL SPOONS (Radiant Alakazam - SW: Silver Tempest) <SWSH12_59>

Q. If I use Radiant Alakazam's "Painful Spoons" Ability to move two damage counters from one of my opponent's Pokemon to a Fusion Strike Pokemon with Fusion Strike Energy attached to it, what happens to the damage counters?
A. Since the opponent's Fusion Strike Energy prevents all effects of Abilities done by your Pokemon, if you choose to move the damage counters to a Fusion Strike Pokemon with Fusion Strike Energy attached the damage counters would be discarded rather than moved onto that Pokemon. However, if you choose a Fusion Strike Pokemon with Fusion Strike Energy attached as the source of where the damage counters would be moved from, they simply are not moved and the Painful Spoons ability stops there. (Aug 31, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== PRECIOUS GIFT (Togekiss - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_85>

Q. Do I have to attack in order to use Togekiss' "Precious Gift" Ability?
A. No, the "(after you attack)" text is just a reminder that your attack happens before the end of your turn. You can still use Precious Gift even if you don’t attack. (Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Do I use Togekiss' "Precious Gift" Ability before or after taking prize cards at the end of my turn?
A. Precious Gift is used at the end of your turn after attacking and checking for a KO but before Pokemon Checkup. So if your attack causes a KO you would take Prize cards first, and then you can use Precious Gift. (Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

POKEMON ATTACKS

== ALLURING FIREBALL (Lampent - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_37>

Q. If I use Lampent's "Alluring Fireball" attack or Elektross' "Suction Shock" attack and my opponent has no Benched Pokemon, do I do damage to or get to flip to paralyze the current Active?
A. No. The attack specifies that the damage and effect are only done to "the new Active Pokemon". (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== ECHOED VOICE (Seismitoad - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_52>

Q. If I use Seismitoad's "Echoed Voice" attack three turns in a row, would I do 320 damage on the third turn?
A. No, the bonus damage doesn't keep stacking. It is only applied for each next turn, so you would do 120, 220, 220, etc. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== EXCITING DANCE (Quaquaval ex - SV: Paldea Evolved) <SV2_52>

Q. If my opponent flipped heads for Nymble's "Slight Splash" attack on their previous turn, what happens if I use Quaquaval ex's "Exciting Dance" attack? Does Nymble get switched out to the bench or not?
A. The effect of Exciting Dance is done to the protected Nymble, so Exciting Dance would not move it to the bench. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== G-MAX PULVERIZATION (Duraludon VMAX - SW: Crown Zenith) <SWSH125_104>

Q. If I use Mawile's "Tempting Trap" attack to place an effect on the Defending Pokemon where it takes +90 more damage from attacks on my next turn, what happens if I use Duraludon VMAX's "G-Max Pulverization" attack on my next turn? Does it still do the +90 damage or not?
A. G-Max Pulverization says its damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon, so the extra +90 damage would not be done. Bad move dude... (Aug 31, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== JUSTICE KICK (Palafin - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_62>

Q. If I use Palafin's "Justice Kick" attack after I move it up to replace a Pokemon that was KO'd by an opponent's attack, does it do anything?
A. No, Palafin was moved to the Active Spot during the opponent's turn, not during "this turn". (Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== LAST RESPECTS (Houndstone ex - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_102>

Q. If I use Houndstone ex's "Last Respects" attack, would I count each piece of Mewtwo V-UNION in my discard pile as a separate Pokemon?
A. Yes, each piece will add to the damage. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== LOUD MIX (Toxtricity - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_72>

Q. Does a Pokemon with multiple types such as Scovillain with the "Double Type" Ability count for two different types of Pokemon for Toxtricity's "Loud Mix" attack?
A. Yes, Loud Mix checks for the number of types of Pokemon on your Bench, not how many Pokemon there are. (Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Are colorless Pokemon considered a 'type' in regards to Toxtricity’s "Loud Mix" attack?
A. Yes, Pokemon may be of a "Colorless" type. (Obsidian Flames FAQ Addendum; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== NINE-TAILED DANCE (Ninetales - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_29>

Q. If I use Ninetales' "Nine-Tailed Dance" attack which Pokemon can't attack next turn, Ninetales or the Pokemon that was attacked?
A. Ninetales can't attack. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== QUEENLY HEEL (Tsareena - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_18>

Q. If my Active Pokemon was attacked by Tsareena's "Queenly Heel" attack, can I evolve it if I switch or retreat?
A. Yes, going to the Bench removes the attack effect so you can evolve what was your Active Pokemon, and also your new Active Pokemon, if they are normally able to evolve. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== SLIGHT SPLASH (Nymble - SV: Paldea Evolved) <SV2_19>

Q. If my opponent flipped heads for Nymble's "Slight Splash" attack on their previous turn, what happens if I use Quaquaval ex's "Exciting Dance" attack? Does Nymble get switched out to the bench or not?
A. The effect of Exciting Dance is done to the protected Nymble, so Exciting Dance would not move it to the bench. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== SUCTION SHOCK (Elektross - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_69>

Q. If I use Lampent's "Alluring Fireball" attack or Elektross' "Suction Shock" attack and my opponent has no Benched Pokemon, do I do damage to or get to flip to paralyze the current Active?
A. No. The attack specifies that the damage and effect are only done to "the new Active Pokemon". (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== TEMPTING TRAP (Mawile - SW: Lost Origin) <SWSH11_71>

Q. If I use Mawile's "Tempting Trap" attack to place an effect on the Defending Pokemon where it takes +90 more damage from attacks on my next turn, what happens if I use Duraludon VMAX's "G-Max Pulverization" attack on my next turn? Does it still do the +90 damage or not?
A. G-Max Pulverization says its damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon, so the extra +90 damage would not be done. Bad move dude... (Aug 31, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== YOGA LOOP (Medicham V - SW: Evolving Skies) <SWSH7_83>

Q. After time is called at the end of a match, what happens if I use Medicham V's "Yoga Loop" attack during the "plus three turns" part?
A. If you use Yoga Loop when time is called during your turn, you would then get "Turn 1" instead of your opponent. Likewise, if you use it during Turn 1 you would also get Turn 2 and your opponent would get Turn 3, and so on... However, if you use it on the final turn of the match you do not get an extra turn. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

TRAINER CARDS

== BRASSIUS (SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_187>

Q. Do I include Brassius in the count of my hand?
A. No, by the time you are counting the cards in your hand Brassius is already in play; it is no longer in your hand. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== COLLAPSED STADIUM (SW: Brilliant Stars) <SWSH9_137>

Q. If I have 5 Pokemon on my Bench and Lunatone with "New Moon" Ability and Solrock are in play, what happens if my opponent plays Collapsed Stadium? Would I have to discard any Benched Pokemon or does "New Moon" prevent that?
A. The effect of Collapsed Stadium is being done to the player's bench size, not to the Pokemon on the bench; so New Moon would not protect them and you would have to discard Benched Pokemon. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== GAPEJAW BOG (SW: Astral Radiance) <SWSH10_142>

Q. Would a Solrock coming into play on the bench receive damage counters from Gapejaw Bog if a Lunatone with "New Moon" Ability is in play but the Ability is not active yet (it requires Solrock to also be in play)? Or what if you put that Lunatone onto the bench while Solrock is already in play?
A. New Moon activates immediately when it's condition is met, so in either case the 2 damage counters from Gapejaw Bog would be prevented. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== GRANT (SW: Astral Radiance) <SWSH10_144>

Q. If Grant ends up in my discard pile during the first turn of the game, can I use its effect if I'm going first?
A. Yes you can. The part about "if this Grant is in your discard pile" is not part of the Supporter's action. (Aug 31, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== LETTER OF ENCOURAGEMENT (SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_189>

Q. If one of my Pokemon was knocked out by an effect of an attack or an Ability, would I still be able to play Letter of Encouragement?
A. Yes, there is no restriction on how the Pokemon was Knocked Out. However, a KO during Pokemon Checkup such as from Poison or Burn would not count. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== LOST CITY (SW: Lost Origin) <SWSH11_161>

Q. If Lost City stadium is in play and Lunatone's "New Moon" Ability is active, what happens if multiple Pokemon including Lunatone & Solrock are KO'd?
A. All KO's are evaluated simultaneously, so if the New Moon ability was active all KO'd Pokemon would go to the discard pile. (Sep 7, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== POKEMON LEAGUE HEADQUARTERS (SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_192>

Q. If Pokemon League Headquarters is in play and I have Lunatone with the "New Moon" Ability and also Solrock in play, do my Basic Pokemon have an extra {C} cost to their Attacks?
A. No, but your opponent's Pokemon do. (Obsidian Flames FAQ; Aug 10, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== RUGGED HELMET (SW: Chilling Reign) <SWSH6_152>

Q. If I have a Klawf ex with "Counterattacking Pincer" Ability and Rugged Helmet attached to it, what happens if it gets damaged by an opponent's attack from a Fusion Strike Pokemon that has a Fusion Strike Energy and a Double Turbo Energy attached to it?
A. The Counterattacking Pincer ability and Rugged Helmet are triggered simultaneously, so you may choose the order in which they are applied. If you choose the Counterattacking Pincer ability first it will fizzle due to Fusion Strike Energy. However, if you choose to use Rugged Helmet first you can put the Fusion Strike Energy into the opponent's hand and then you can use Counterattacking Pincer to discard the Double Turbo Energy. (Aug 31, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

== WORKER (SW: Silver Tempest) <SWSH12_167>

Q. What happens if I play Worker and cannot draw any cards? Do I still get to discard a Stadium or not?
A. Yes, they are two separate sentences so you do as much of it as you can. (Jul 13, 2023 TPCi Rules Team)

Back