Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Complete Japanese XY set revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one thought when reading this set YAWWWWN!! I did not see one viable deck in the entire set. There are some interesting trianers like Red Card not doubt, but few memorable pokemon. Although why they made a stage 1 with the Gothitelle ability is beyond my understanding. Did that deck need to get more consistant?

I had one thought when reading this set YAWWWWN!! I did not see one viable deck in the entire set. There are some interesting trianers like Red Card not doubt, but few memorable pokemon. Although why they made a stage 1 with the Gothitelle ability is beyond my understanding. Did that deck need to get more consistant?

So it's not just me who felt underwhelmed. A lot of the best cards were already revealed (The starters, the EXes, ect). For every interesting Pokemon, there were 10 that were complete, vanilla filler (and a lot of flippy cards). To me the highlights were the fairy support pokemon, the trainers, and the reprinting of Rainbow energy.

BW, in retrospect, isn't too hot of a set either. Zekrom/Reshiram did have their heydays, much akin to what Yveltal/potentially some of the starters are poised to have.

Just wait for about XY3/4...I imagine the chaos-hype train will break free once more...

^

True, I looked at some of the scans for Black and White Cards. There were a handful of interesting cards, but the majority were just like the majority of this set, vanilla and underwhelming. It wasn't until Noble Victories when the really interesting cards came through.

I completely disagree. While nothing overarching is really here there's plenty of stuff in the set that interesting. Dunsparce is incredibly interesting for a throw away basic (Tauros is similarly ridiculous, and far less practical). Gourgeist is downright terrifying (granted its viability depends on its translation) Aegislash is very interesting. Aromatisse and Slurpuff could become a very good support, especially with the starter deck Xerneas, and they'll probably become better once more Fairy Pokemon are released in upcoming sets. Trevenant is a Stage 1 Goth with spread potential, making it good company to Dusknoir. And that's just first impressions of the format right now.

theres a couple combos i'm seeing that might be interesting

a Vivillon/Ho-oh EX/scramble switch deck might work, a rebirth ho-oh ex energy scrambled switched on a vivillon would be 120 vs ho-oh ex's 80, 130 hp on a stage 2 is a little low these days though.

raichu might be a good complement to an empoleon deck

Rhyperior would be good with fliptini and a little energy accel

Ruby&Sapphire, Diamond&Pearl, and Black&White all had mostly vanilla filler junk with a small selection of noteworthy stars too. SURPRISE!

While it wouldn't be competitive, a Beedrill/Fliptini deck would be a lot of fun. See how many times you can get three heads.

Well to be fair, the "base" set for each new generation is always a bit vanilla. Overall though mixed opinions, some seem pretty one sided (Red Card for example is usually seen more like a Supporter effect, forcing just your opponent to shuffle is a bit rough), Muscle Band and Hard Charm are better versions of PlusPower and Defender in Tool form (not to mention they don't have restrictions so EXs can use them >.>), etc. Evolution(ary) Soda seems to be the most powerful, it seems at face value like the one stadium several years back that allowed you to basically evolve, then evolve with the stadium's effect. Though I guess depending on how they rule its wording (the part about it counting as evolving), it might not be that great if you can't evolve, then Soda to a Stage 2 or Soda to a Stage 1, then play a Stage 2 from your hand. None of the Megas seem too broken at this point, but M Venusaur is basically unattackable once it hits you unless you have a Switch or Escape Rope handy, and M Blastoise is just a stronger version of Darkrai's attack that hits an extra Pokemon. And of course, some seem completely pointless like Emolga EX...why did it get made into an EX for? Its attacks aren't even good.

[del]Unless they change the game rules or it's mistranslated, you can evolve normally and then Soda, but you can't Soda and then evolve normally (Wally's Training Method is the best example I can think of).[/del] New tools are basically Dark Claw for non-dark Pokemon and Eviolite by a new name. There are a couple of interesting cards, but overall I am disappoint.

Edit: Just reread the translation again. As MaverickNate wrote below, you would not be able to use it right after evolving/devolving since that Pokémon just came into play. Now there is officially no point to the card :(

Last edited:
Unless they change the game rules or it's mistranslated, you can evolve normally and then Soda, but you can't Soda and then evolve normally (Wally's Training Method is the best example I can think of). New tools are basically Dark Claw for non-dark Pokemon and Eviolite by a new name. There are a couple of interesting cards, but overall I am disappoint.

Incorrect. Let's go through an example. Say you have a Deino. turn two, you evolve into Zweilous. For the sake of Evolution Soda (I'm using Bulbapedia's translation, which was translated by means of finding similar cards with the exact text as the text on Evolution Soda: Plasma Storm Clefable has the exact first half, and the newest version of Rare Candy has the exact last half, except for the Japanese word denoting Basic Pokémon.), the Zweilous counts as being put into play turn two. Thus, you can't evolve through evolution soda, because the Zweilous counts as being put into play that turn.

I noticed that there are no Ace Specs in X and Y, is this the end of these game-changing cards? Ace Specs are really essential to our meta game, even if you are only allowed one in a deck, as they change the dynamics of the game state. Ace Specs still had many other areas to explore, too. If this is the end of them, that is truly sad.

I noticed that there are no Ace Specs in X and Y, is this the end of these game-changing cards? Ace Specs are really essential to our meta game, even if you are only allowed one in a deck, as they change the dynamics of the game state. Ace Specs still had many other areas to explore, too. If this is the end of them, that is truly sad.

Mechanics change with new generations, always have always will. Replace "ace spec" with "Level X pokemon" back when the HGSS sets started and this statement still holds true (minus of course the 'one in a deck' bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back