Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Comprehensive Werewolf Compendium

Sandslash7

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
I would like this thread to be the new “Compendium” for Werewolf information on the Gym. This way we can update it regularly, and have a list of pertinent data.

First: Links to every Gym Werewolf game, and provide Data for each game.
Second: My analysis of the data collected above.
Third: Meta-analysis and list various problems and positives for the metagame as we have it.
Fourth: A list of the future WW games, moderation requirements, and approved Mod list.
Fifth: A comprehensive list of rules.
Sixth: Links to other helpful and pertinent WW posts and threads.
Seventh: The Werewolf Balance Committee Information.

1: COMPLETED/IN PROGRESS WEREWOLF GAMES

WW I: Pokémon Werewolf
Setup:
20 Players
15 Townies
4 Wolves
1 Independent (not 3rd party)

Game Stats:
6 Pages
225 Posts
9 Cycles
Final Cycle: Day 5

Role Balance:
1 Seer, Priest, Roleblocker
2 Other Information, Vigilante
1 WPR (convert vigilante)

Victor: Town (with help from Mr. X)
Moderator: Cardzmaster2004

WW II: Tales of the Legendary Isle!
Setup:
22 Players
16 Townies
5 Wolves

Game Stats:
10 Pages
371 Posts
17 Cycles
FC: Day 9

Role Balance:
1 Seer, Priest, Vigilante
1 Serial Killer (Delayed Action)
1 WPR (convert Vigilante)

Victor: Independent
Moderator: LOLZ

WW III: Tourney Pros
Setup:
22 Players
17 Townies
4 Wolves
3 Independents (pair and single)

Game Stats:
9 Pages
352 posts
15 Cycles
FC: Day 8

Role Balance:
3 Seer
2 OIR, 2 SK
1 Priest, RB

Victor: Independent (Assassins)

WW V:
23 Players
14 Townies
5 Wolves
4 Independents (2 pairs)

6 Pages
226 Posts
10 Cycles
FC: N5

4 OIR, SK
2 Seer
1 Priest, RB, Vigilante

Victor: Independent (bombers)
Moderator: Spoinkmaster

WW VI:
23 Players
17 Townies
5 Wolves
1 Indie (not 3rd party)

6 Pages
226 Posts
17 Cycles
FC: D9

2 Seer
1 Priest, RB, OIR, SK

Moderator: Shellshock929

WW VII: LOST (Cancelled)

WW VIII: Werewolf Chronicles
31 Players
24 Townies
6 Wolves
1 Indie (Not 3rd party)

10 Pages
385 Posts
17 Cycles
FC: D9

3 OIR
2 Seer, RB
1 Vig, SK, WPR(Convert)

Moderator: DukeFireBird

WW IX: Team Galactic’s Plot
24 Players
15 Townies
6 Wolves
3 Independents (not 3rd party)

13 Pages
519 Posts
18 Cycles
FC: N9

2 Seer, OIR
1 Priest, RB, Vig, SK, WPR (convert)

Moderator: Absoltrainer

WW X: Parisian Intrigue
23 Players
19 Townies
4 Wolves
0 Independents

14 Pages
526 Posts
18 Cycles
FC: N9

2 Priest
1 Seer, OIR

Victor: Town

WW XI:
25 Players
19 Townies
5 Wolves

14 pages
555 Posts
21 Cycles
FC: Day 11

3 OIR
2 Seer, Priest
1 RB, SK

Moderator: Shellshock929

WW XII: Cyrus’ Revenge!
37 Players
24 Townies
5 Wolves
8 Independents (5 in third party)

41 Pages
1622 Posts
21 Cycles
FC: D11

7 OIR
3 WPR (convert+others)
2 Seers, Priests, Vig, SK
1 RB

WW XIII: Ascension of the Packmaster!
27 Players
22 Townies
4 Wolves
1 Indie (not 3rd Party)

21 Pages
812 Posts
13 Cycles
FC: D7

2 Seer, Vig
1 Priest, OIR, SK

WW XIV: Team Rocket’s Trap!
33 Players
24 Townies
7 Wolves
2 Indies (not 3rd party)

34 Pages
1360 posts
23 Cycles
FC: D12

5 OIR
2 WPR (mask/mislead)
1 Seer, priest, RB, SK

Moderator: Lucario EX

WW XV: Pokémon Wars!
41 Players
29 Townies
6 Wolves
6 Indies (2 3rd party)

64 Pages
2522 Posts
23 Cycles

9 OIR
4 WPR
2 Seer, priest, RB, Vig
1 SK
1 Weird Convert thing (gallade)

WW XVI: The Rise of Team Plasma!
31 Players
24 Townies
6 Wolves
1 Indie (not 3rd party)

110 Pages
4100 Posts
21 Cycles
FC: D11

7 OIR
5 WPR
2 Priest, Seer
1 RB, Vig, SK (delayed action)

Moderators: Arcanine-Arbok Master and Cardzmaster2004

WW XVII A: Anon
20 Players
14 Townies
6 Wolves
0 Independents

14 Pages
555 Posts
7 Cycles
FC: D4

3 WPR
1 Seer, Priest, RB, Vig

Victor: Draw (Wolf)
Moderator: Ikrit

WW XVII B: Anon
20 Players
14 Townies
6 Wolves
0 Independents

11 Pages
421 Posts
5 Cycles
FC: D3

3 WPR
1 Seer, Priest, RB, Vig

Victor: Cancelled
Moderator: Ikrit

WW XVII C: Training Tribulation!
20 Players
15 Townies
5 Wolves
0 Independents

39 Pages
1553 Posts
11 Cycles
FC: D6

1 Seer, Priest, RB, Vig, WPR

Victor: Wolves
Moderators: Sandslash7 and Ikrit.

WW XVIII: Dimensional Clash!
45 Players
24 Townies
6 Wolves
15 Independents (2 factions and several survivalists)

57 Pages
2249 Posts
23 Cycles

Lots of Power Roles, to be edited in later

Victor: Wolves/Outlaws
Moderator: Pikamaster and Lucario EX.

2: Data Analysis

Before XVII, the average number of players was 27.3 per game.
Counting XVII, the average number of players is now 26.0 per game.

The number of Wolves/Game before XVII was 5.1, while XVII had an average of 5.7.

The amount of Independents/Game before XVII was 2.4, while for XVII it was obviously 0/game.

XVII was on average half as long as previous WW games in terms of cycles. However, their average game length (post wise) was comparable to the average before XVII.

XVII C itself was 1553 posts long. This is equivalent to recent games in the Gym WW history (XII and XIV). It was shorter than XV and XVI, but those are outliers due to their high Cycle number and excessive bumps.

There is other data, but with the small sample size it is hard to make many concrete analysis of the affect XVII had on the metagame.

3: Data Metanalysis

From the data I have gathered, the reduced Power Roles and Update information did not harm how the game was played. The number of posts was not drastically reduced, thus showing that the metagame can handle reduced Mod-originated information. Players can discuss and figure out things without the Mod giving them information.

The reduced Independent number, as well as reduced PR's definitely contributed to the wolves obtaining the victory.

However, we cannot fully say how much of the Wolf victory was due to the town playing poorly and not reading scumtells, or how much was due to less information given by the moderator. As we play more games, this should become evident.

4: Future Games/Moderators:

WW XIX: Name TBD
Moderators: Absoltrainer and ???

WW XX: Name TBD
Moderator: Cardzmaster2004 and ???

WW XXI: Name TBD
Moderator: Sandslash7 and ???

Moderator Approval Checklist:

1) Have played in at minimum TWO Gym Werewolf games.
2) Have served on a Gym WW Balance Committee, and satisfactorily balanced a game that is run on the Gym.
3) Have submitted the game in question to a Gym WW Balance Committee and it be certified balanced by the committee.
4) Have a dedicated Co-Mod who will take care of Narration duties if the original mod cannot, or who participated in game creation and works together with the “original mod.”

Or:
1) Be of Previous Mod Status (Defined: A Moderator who has successfully moderated a Werewolf game since WW X; Parisian Intrigue: Absoltrainer, Shellshock929, Cardzmaster2004, Ikrit, Lucario EX, Arcanine/Arbok Master, Sandslash7)
2) Have submitted the game in question to a Gym WW Balance Committee and it be certified balanced by the committee.

Players who are interested in hosting a game must fulfill EITHER the first or the second criterion. History and games from other websites are always a positive, but they cannot substitute Gym games for any criterion.

Approved Moderator List:

Absoltrainer

Shellshock929

Cardzmaster2004

Ikrit

Lucario EX

Arcanine/Arbok Master

Sandslash7

Possible Future Moderators:

Kirbyking

Human Destroyer

Normalguy

Vablakes

PMysterious

Benzo

Dragonclyne

Vegitalian

Jellyfisher/Pikamaster

5: Comprehensive Rule List

Basic Rules
1) Object of the Game

There are two main factions: The Werewolves and the Townspeople. Townspeople win the game when they have eliminated all Werewolves from the game. Whereas, the Werewolves win the game when there is an equal amount or more Werewolves in the village at the end of the Day or Night.

2) “Game Days”
The game day is divided into two cycles, Day and Night.
2a) Game Day
Each Day, the village will try to lynch a player. To do so, a simple majority of the village must vote them out.
Half is not a majority.
The Co-Mods are the only people who may announce that a person has been lynched.

2b) Voting
At any time, in any post, you may vote. Whenever you vote in your post, vote in all caps, bolded.
VOTE: SANDSLASH7
You may unvote at any time, but you must specifically unvote the player you previously voted for before voting for a new one.

2c) Game Night
After the Day update, the game enters the Night. NO ONE may post unless they are announcing an extended period of inactivity.
During the Night those players with roles will PM me their actions.
At the end of the Night, the Night Update will summarize the pertinent actions, and Day will begin again.

2d) The game is over when I say it is over.

3) Basic Roles
There is one traditional role that appears in Forum Werewolf games: the Werewolves. Others frequently, but not always appear. Your Role PM will include all of the necessary details. Feel free to PM for clarification.

3a) Werewolves
The Werewolves are a minority of the town who desire the remainder of the town to be killed. The Werewolves converse through PM, AIM, email, Skype, etc. and decide who they will kill at Night. The Alpha Werewolf will then PM the moderator with their choice.

4) Other Rules
4a) You CAN NOT talk to other people in this game in any fashion. If I am told someone has broken this rule, it will most likely result in an automatic modkill of the offending player.

4b) Do NOT edit your posts. If you edit, you will receive a public warning. The second edit will equate to a modkill.

4c) Do NOT double post (with or without the double-post eliminator). Once will be a public warning, second = modkill.

4d) Do not verbatim quote anything in your role PM. You WILL be modkilled if you do so. If you do so to ragequit (without sound, strategic value) you will be modkilled AND banned from the next game.

4e) DO NOT THANK players for their posts. If you do so you will receive a warning. A second infraction is a MODKILL.

4f) Times for each Day:
A Day will last around 7 days from the posting of the Night Update.
A Night will last about 4-5 days, or until I receive all PMs from the individuals, whichever is shorter. Expect the update for that cycle at or within 24 hours after the deadline.

4g) Modkills
If a player is modkilled for any reason during the day (violating the rules, inactivity, etc), they are lynched automatically and the town goes into the Night phase. If the modkill occurs at Night, they are added to the list of the dead when the Night Update is posted.

4h) Leave of Absence
If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time (4+ days), PM me and we will talk about either letting it slide or getting a replacement. If you do not let me know and are consistently absent from play that is grounds for a modkill.

5) Death
After Death, you CAN NOT talk in the game topic anymore. PERIOD. You may not post to share information you have gathered, root your faction on, or provide bumps to other players.
If this rule is broken it WILL result in a ban from the next Werewolf game.

6) Any Other Questions
Those may be addressed to me by PM.
6a) Rules are subject to change (usually minor) should the need be (and usually not need be).

7) Common Roles
These will be listed in their most basic type. Any Moderator may make modifications to said roles if they wish. This just gives the basis for what the roles do. Roles may have modifications such as Sanity (Insane Seer, who reads Town as Wolf and Vice Versa), X-Shot (3-Shot Vigilante, who may kill thrice), or Wolf (ability for the Wolf Faction, rather than town).

Townie (Vanilla Townie, Civilian). No Night Role, must use logic to find the wolves by what they say during the Day.
Mason. No Night Role. May speak, at times defined by the Moderator, with another specified member of the village outside of the game thread. Defined as Town/Town aligned, but historically has not been so (see WW II).
Neighbor (Acquaintance). No Night Role. May speak, at times defined by the Moderator, with another specified member of the village outside the game thread. No defined Role Alignment pairing.
Priest (Doctor, Angel). Night Role. May try to save one member of the village from Death during the Night. Whether this saves them from all attacks or just one is up to the moderator.
Seer (Cop). Night Role. May investigate one member of the village to learn their alignment.
Detective (Role Cop). Night Role. May investigate one member of the village to learn their Role Card/Abilities.
Tracker. Night Role. May follow one member of the village to see what they do.
Watcher. Night Role. May follow one member of the village to see who they target.
Vigilante. Night Role. May kill one member of the village.
Role Blocker. Night Role. May stop member of the village from using their role. (Does work on the wolf NK, if they chose the correct wolf)
Alpha (Godfather). Passive. Investigations of their Alignment return as "Town."
Jack-of-all-Trades (Pokemon Trainer). Night Role. May choose from one of up to X roles to use each Night. Cannot repeat a role unless all X have been used.

6: Useful Links

Pre-XVII WW Metagame Analysis Thread
Written in response to the deteriorating metagame present in Gym WW, and the disgusting powercreep also inherent to recent games.

Old Compendium, woefully out of date. Holds some historical information, but most has been Copy-Pasted here.

Cabd's Helpful Series on "How to Play As 'X'"

Part One, Gambits

Part Two, Scum Tells

Part Three, Common Terms and Abbreviations

Part Four, Player Name Abbreviations

Part Five, How to be a Good Townie

Part Six, How to be a Good Wolf

Part Seven, Playing as the Seer

Part Eight, Playing as the Doctor(Priest)

Part Nine, Playing as the Alpha Werewolf

Part Ten, Playing as the Vigilante

Part Eleven, Playing as the RoleBlocker

Part Twelve, So You Want to Host Your Own Game?

Cabd's New Guide

SS7's Helpful Hints
Part Twelve, So You Want to Host Your Own Game? Part 2

7: Werewolf Balance Committee

It is obvious that there is a desperate need for third-party validation and verification for games played on the Gym. Many games have been horribly unbalanced either for or against certain factions with unjust and unfair playing fields being the result. This was touched briefly in the Werewolf Metagame Analysis Thread, but the primary thrust of that thread was player behavior, and game balance must now be dealt with.

As such, with games like XV; Pokémon Wars!, and XVIII; Dimensional Clash cannot be allowed to remain the standard of balance for Gym Werewolf. Each game was broken and tilted the odds of factional victory towards one or more factions completely unfairly.

It is necessary for some kind of third party oversight in WW games, so it is resolved to create a WW Balance Committee with the job of double-checking the balance already present in the proposed game and giving feedback about positive or negative attributes.

The Balance Committee will be responsible to give the final say as to game-play readiness for each set-up. The Committee will be composed of any number of willing players. Each game will have two members from the Committee go over all roles of the game, rules, hidden rules, priority, and setup to determine its balance. Once a go-ahead is given, the requesting mod will be allowed next in line to narrate a WW game.

The Balance Committee will be made up of players who are adept enough to handle over-all game balance. Thus, a minimum of 2 games of WW played is a prerequisite for volunteering to be in the Balance Committee. Each volunteer must also read the Werewolf Metagame Analysis Thread for adequate background on game balance and game theory. Each volunteer must be familiar with topics mentioned here regarding game theory Mafia Scum’s Modding Guide: 2010 edition.
To volunteer to be on the WW Balance committee, please submit a short application PM to myself and I’ll add you to the list (updated in the New WW Compendium thread) if you have the correct credentials and are approved.

Active Members

Jpulice
Sandslash7
Absoltrainer
Cabd

Last edited:
Question on 5) Death:
Why no “bump” provisions being allowed by a dead player?

This is the first time I've read about the older games. Jeez, some of them were really complicated, no wonder the wolves couldn't pull out a win. Everyone and their mother had a power role it looked like.

Ew, going back and rereading my play in XIV... Gross... That game would've been impossible to win though, with all of the PRs going around telling everyone who we were all the time!! I'm impressed I dragged it as far as I did.

Thanks for compiling all this, this is an awesome resource.

Question on 5) Death:
Why no “bump” provisions being allowed by a dead player?

In XVI there were an excessive number of bumps. This bloated the thread and made it a pain to read. This also encouraged the faking of speech impediments.

Once you have died, you may not post in the Game Thread (unless specifically given permission by the mod).

This makes it easier for everyone.

This is the first time I've read about the older games. Jeez, some of them were really complicated, no wonder the wolves couldn't pull out a win. Everyone and their mother had a power role it looked like.

Hence why Ikrit and I posted the Original WMAT as well as injected the XVII cycle. It is pretty obvious in hindsight.

Ew, going back and rereading my play in XIV... Gross... That game would've been impossible to win though, with all of the PRs going around telling everyone who we were all the time!! I'm impressed I dragged it as far as I did.

Thanks for compiling all this, this is an awesome resource.

I know right?

Thanks for the compliment. If you find anything that needs a link here, definitely post it.

In XVI there were an excessive number of bumps. This bloated the thread and made it a pain to read. This also encouraged the faking of speech impediments.

Once you have died, you may not post in the Game Thread (unless specifically given permission by the mod).

This makes it easier for everyone.

QFT. It got to the point where there were more bump posts than real posts. This is definitely a rule I hope Lucario EX will agree we should enforce.

Honestly, I don't think the dead people had anything to do with bump mania.

The various faked impeds had more to do with it than anything. An upfront statement about the presence of such crazed impeds would be much more effective. There's nothing saying the bumping in XVI would've been less existent if dead players weren't able.

(However, nighttime bumps were atrocious)

QFT. It got to the point where there were more bump posts than real posts. This is definitely a rule I hope Lucario EX will agree we should enforce.

+1 Confirm

Honestly, I don't think the dead people had anything to do with bump mania.

The various faked impeds had more to do with it than anything. An upfront statement about the presence of such crazed impeds would be much more effective. There's nothing saying the bumping in XVI would've been less existent if dead players weren't able.

(However, nighttime bumps were atrocious)

Both were the issue I think. Hopefully this won't be a problem any more.

Updated the Data Analysis and Metanalysis. We require more data, and I hope that future games will be able to contribute.

I am seeing my guide get used incorrectly (mostly on 6p, but here too I guess) and I am crying.

Guys, those tells are for internal use only. Meaning, you use them to form reads on people. Not "HERP DERP CABD'S GUIDE SAYS THIS EQUALS WOLF ARGUMENT DONE"

Once you form a read using those internal tells, you move on and make an actual case against somebody.

"Cabd's book said so" is not a valid argument and if anyone is daft enough to try it in a game where I am alive, I will propose a policy lynch on that player immediately.

FWIW, you can't put something out there publicly and then tell people they can't use it as they wish and it's a bit pompous to threaten a policy lynch. If you don't want people to use something you put together, simply don't make it public. "Because cabd's guide says so" can actually apply needed leverage at times whether you intended it that way or not.

The thing with policy lynches is: You don't have to go along with it. The players could just as easily lynch cabd for being as daft :tongue: as telling people to ignore perfectly valid strategies in his own playbook.

The thing with policy lynches is: You don't have to go along with it. The players could just as easily lynch cabd for being as daft :tongue: as telling people to ignore perfectly valid strategies in his own playbook.

And, ironically, I'll have some words on that last part a little later :lol:

Kirbyking ~

Not at this juncture. I'm glad that you are still interested. I'll let you know when that can be solidified at my earliest time possible. Stay tuned!

I'm looking forward to some new blood in the modding pool. :D

Kirbyking ~

Not at this juncture. I'm glad that you are still interested. I'll let you know when that can be solidified at my earliest time possible. Stay tuned!

I'm looking forward to some new blood in the modding pool. :D

Yeah I am still looking for a co-mod, but since my game won't be for a while, it can wait.

How do you become a mod? That is something I would be very interested in, I just have no clue how to apply to become a mod. I have been playing in a ton of games recently, so I have a good grasp of how to run one now.

Can I be co mod depending on what a co mod does?

How do you become a mod? That is something I would be very interested in, I just have no clue how to apply to become a mod. I have been playing in a ton of games recently, so I have a good grasp of how to run one now.

I'm thrilled that you guys are interested!

I'll elaborate on the process a little, since I've got some time.

A co-mod is (or should be) effectively a mod. There really shouldn't be 1 "main mod" and 1 "co-mod" to shore up deficits. The intent of the Co-Mod system is to work together to form a better game for all, attacking problems with two heads rather than one, and allowing the players to have much faster response time to questions, and the game to have a faster pace in terms of updating.

To become a mod is a process, one that we feel can use some iteration to be more streamlined and efficient, as well as beneficial to both the players and the community as a whole. Going back to the first WW game (linked above), Cardzmaster2004 ran that one, and then allowed players interested to PM him their ideas and get into a "line" of mods waiting to host a game.

Until recently, Cardzmaster has been keeper of the list, and so I've deferred to his list. However that list will run out after WW XXI, which is my first "real" game here on the gym. Since there has been an upswing in the number of players interested in modding, there will need to be some method or format for becoming a future planned mod here.

At this point I don't know what that will look like, but I'll definitely keep you informed! Stay tuned!

Excellent, thanks so much! I am available to mod or co-mod anytime, so just PM me when a spot opens or a need arises, or when we know more about how that is gonna work? Thanks! :biggrin:

Back