Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Console Modding

jhnnymullen

Well, I really wasn't sure if this really belongs here and not in the electronic games forum but here goes. I've been wanting to mod my PS2 but I am not sure what to get. Is the magic chip worth it or should I go for the messiah? Also does the new slide card system work and if so does it play import originals?

I hope you realize that mod chips for game consoles are extremely wrong... and honestly running on a thin line of being "illegal". They would run under the same laws as P2P programs such as KaZaA, Morpheus, Napster, etc. They allow you to play PIRATED games. More and more console companies are going after the mod companies/services to get them to stop distributing these chips. Since it is the basis of using "cracked" programs on a PC. It is warez, and warez takes away from a companies funds, since you are technically stealing for the console companies.

I will admit that as I read an article on the TechTV website, they do bring up some good points. In some countries modchips are fine.
Australian gamers rely on the mod chips to play games encoded for Japan and the United States. Without the chips, the court decided, their choices would be greatly limited.
But in counties such as the United States, modchips are in no way needed. Sure they allow you to play games that are Japanese release. But many of those games will in the future be available for USA release.
In the United States, the best argument for keeping mod chips legal is that they let gamers play backup copies of their own games. This is the same argument that's used in the fight against strict copy protection of CDs. Many gamers and music fans believe they should be allowed to make copies of their own property according to common "fair use" guidelines.
This runs along the same lines as P2P programs. Their original intent was to allow bands to share their music with others. Unfortunately, a company has to look at the larger picture than just -- in the sake of modchips -- "our users will use it for backups, so it's okay". I can bet you right now that 99% of the users that currently run modded gaming consoles do not use them for legitimate purposes.

References:
  1. TechTV - The Mess Over Mod Chips

Last edited:
I can bet you right now that 99% of the users that currently run modded gaming consoles do not use them for legitimate purposes.
one REAL GOOD example are these Xbox psychos that are adding in and OS (Operrating System, like Windows) to their Xbox so it functions like a normal computer. This way, people would be able to play their computer games and any other Pirated games in their Xbox. I knew something like this was going to happen, and I was right. One thing I said to my friends was that Xbox was just an excuse for another computer, and now look what happens. It HAS become another computer.

To put the story short, you people should just be happy with what system you have and what your system has in it. You shouldn't be putting in all these mods in it. That's what Half-Life is for :lol: . Either way, whether its modifying a game console or getting music for free from the internet, it should called an illegal act and should be stopped.

What amuses the poop out of me is that Microsoft has certian blocks on it's X-Box live program that prevents most modded X-Boxes from connecting to it... Then everyone who modded their X-Box got quite mad. ;)

hehe... suckers.

well sorry if i've upset anyone with my topic. but i just wanted to play ddr extreme, i have it preordered and it comes in october. but the japanese ps2 is way too expensive thats why i've been exploring ways to play through modding and etc.

Back