Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Could Trade Mark Problems Be Because of Abra Kadabra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeycat

Abra and Kadabra, Could they have Trademark problems?

I honestly would think so(but thats me) they could'nt use the word , Alakazam but they could use Alakazam *, and could'nt use Abra and Kadabra, or maybe Alakazam was able to be used.

Im no Copyright X-pert(as some may beleive) but, they could be facing Copy right issues, You dont go 11 pokemon sets without 2 pokemon that arn't godly or great.

But thats what i think.

I would think if all spelling were with a star"*" on it it would'mt be a infraction.
Alakazam* Ok
Kadabra* Ok
Abra* Ok

Alakazam infraction
Kadabra Infraction
Just stating my opinion because those are the realist pokemon names, as a magician would say.

Since the word abrac(k)adabra was first recorded nearly 2,000 years ago, I don't think it's copyrightable. It would be like putting a TM on "amen".

And since Uri Geller failed in his lawsuit against Nintendo, claiming that his likeness was misused on Alakazam, any possible copyright/TM infringement on this also ancient word, would likely fail.

In my opinion, the problem is with the Japanese name for Kadabra, which is Urgeller or something like that.
They got sued by Uri Geller, the "Psychic". The one that really set him off was the Team Rocket set one, whifch was "Evil UrGeller" . It was settled, but it's quite possible that either they made an agreement to not make more cards with that name, or they just don't want to open themselves up to suits in the future, or maybe even they don't want to insult the man again.

If you ask me, it just happens to be coincidental to his name, like how the Coca-Cola signature is supposed to look like some bad word or something when turned upside down.

Quote from Geocities.com:

THE CASE OF THE MONEY NEEDING RECOGNIZER
Ever heard of Uri Geller? Oh, you have? Well, me too! He's like, oh so famous. Wah hah ha ha! Okay, joke's over. Point is, he intends to sue Nintendo because one of the Pokémon is 'based' on him.

Mr.Geller's argument: Nintendo are making money off of my name! The Alakazam card shows it holding two bent spoons and it is a "magician and psychic". But in Japan it is known as Un-geller! Many people send me email asking me how much Nintendo have paid me for the right to use my name and persona. This is a blatant abuse of my name, I would never have given permission to be used for violent and (in the case of Evil Alakazam) evil doings!

Unfortunate Reality: Mr.Geller, Alakazam is in fact Foodin (watch the OAV starting to catch that spelling). Un-geller is known as Kadabra in the USA. Only it's not Un-geller, it is Yoongera/Yunghelor. Do your homework! It holds one spoon, and is only as evil as you command it to be. The Psychic Gym is full of spoon-bending, card guessing trainees. The 151 and more to come Pokémon are based on various animals, legends and popular things (think Hit the Diglett), which you are very much extremely terribly too surely included in. As if.

Are you the only spoon bending bloke in the world? Well then are you the first? Do you design your own spoon bending sequences? How about compose your own spoon bending speeches? Can you bend an Alakazam card with your mind? Perhaps the 149 Pokémon that don't hold spoons then, with more to come? Have you ever before, during, after or out of your career managed to bend Thunder Shocks into dragon-shaped lightning that chases yellow mice? Are you a has-been yet? If not, would you like to be one?

Geller's lawsuit was dismissed, as was his lawsuit against Ikea over their "Uri" range of bent-legged furniture.

Yep, but even though it was dismissed, I can imagine Nintendo wanting to keep away from any controversy.
What other reason could there be for them not making a Kadabra card in so many years?

They can just make the basic and stage 2 and just expect us to use Rare Candy!:lol:

I'm no expert also, but I don't think adding an asterick to the end of something would keep it from violating copyright infringement.

So if TPC or whoever wanted to not bother with the controversy, why keep making Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam all the way through Skyridge? That lawsuit was back in 2000 or something.

I think they're just screwing with our heads. Watch them release one of those "bad" sets (Emerald, HP...) but stick an Alakazam line in it. Instant sales!

There's one thing to remember: Abra is still easily catchable on every Pokémon videogame... and it still easily evolves into Kadabra. So why on the games, and not on the cards?

Are you being Serious about the Uri Geller thing?! I met him at a tennis match last year, I thought he was a nice enough guy, but now I think hes just evil.

Kempley05 said:
Are you being Serious about the Uri Geller thing?! I met him at a tennis match last year, I thought he was a nice enough guy, but now I think hes just evil.
Well, how would you feel if someone stuck an "Evil Kempley" card in your hand and asked you to sign it?

yoshi1001 said:
Some people wold take that as a compliment. :wink:

I second that opinion :lol: :clap:

Pokemon Names have chaged over time.
Some Japanese Pokemon Names were too generic in the beginning and were changed later. Doing this now would only cause confusion.
I somtimes referr pokemon by their Japanese names by mistake.
And people are like WHA!

I was surprised with the idea of having a Alakazam*, and im still so excited. "Kazam" is my favorite poke on the GB/A games so ive been expecting abra kadabra and 'kazam for quite a few years. This spoon bender is a freak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back