Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Counter to Cursegar.

Shadowwiidragon

What is a good counter or deck to Cursegar and SpirPlox because that is the metagame right now for States, where I'm at. Thanks.:biggrin:

Luxchomp. . . No other deck beats Cursgar.

Are you kidding? Cursegar loses to the most random decks on the planet. It's just consistent and really good against the metagame. Out of all the Tier 1 decks, that's the one that could arguably be bumped down to Tier 2.

As for countering it, if you've got something that hits and runs like Gengar itself, or even a Uxie or Shuppet, Shedinja SV stops it cold until it gets Gengar SF out. It can attack for colorless, too, and hit the Gengar on the bench if it's already got a damage counter on it.

Techs?
-Roserade GL is they don't play Warp Energy (could time some KO's to the end of their turn)
-Lumineon MT - Pull up the Gengar whenever you want
-Luxray GL - Obv. Bright Look

Decks that can beat it:
-Flytrap
-Luxchomp (sometimes)

There are others, but these are off the top of my head.

Are you kidding? Cursegar loses to the most random decks on the planet. It's just consistent and really good against the metagame. Out of all the Tier 1 decks, that's the one that could arguably be bumped down to Tier 2.

As for countering it, if you've got something that hits and runs like Gengar itself, or even a Uxie or Shuppet, Shedinja SV stops it cold until it gets Gengar SF out. It can attack for colorless, too, and hit the Gengar on the bench if it's already got a damage counter on it.

Well, I meant to put 'Has a good match up' which is true.

Shedinja is meh to be honest.

They just do 10 to a bench with attack, then next turn 10 to Shedinja.

They could play Crobat G's.

And then next turn Haunter you if they wanted.

They just do 10 to a bench with attack, then next turn 10 to Shedinja.

If it takes them 5-6 turns to kill it, I call that a win

When was the last time you saw a decent Cursegar list running Crobat G's? I sure haven't.

And then that Haunter's left active to be an almost certain free prize, and that's assuming they don't run the Haunter with the body, like most lists do. KO-ing main attacking line > KO-ing a tech.

Responses in bold.

5-6 turns to kill it? What? More like 2-3.

Turn one 10 to a bench.

Turn two more 10 from bench to Shedinja Crobat and Poketurn, Haunter.

I know some very good lists that play Crobat G.

Haunter with Pokebody? There are two better Haunters out there. One which does 30 and they can't retreat, and of course the first Haunter in SF.

I'll lose a 1-1 Haunter with 1 energy. Wow, epic.

Also, on a side note.

Shedinja can be hard to get out in a Trainer Lock, even worse when you try to get your other Pokemon set up too.

5-6 turns to kill it? What? More like 2-3.

Turn one 10 to a bench.

Turn two more 10 from bench to Shedinja Crobat and Poketurn, Haunter.

I know some very good lists that play Crobat G.

Haunter with Pokebody? There are two better Haunters out there. One which does 30 and they can't retreat, and of course the first Haunter in SF.

I'll lose a 1-1 Haunter with 1 energy. Wow, epic.

Also, on a side note.

Shedinja can be hard to get out in a Trainer Lock, even worse when you try to get your other Pokemon set up too.

So who exactly ran the Crobat's and Poketurns, and how many other staples did they cut for that? Cause that's around 6-8 spaces in a tight list, and there are huge consistency issues there trying to fit that. Looking at a few in the Tournament Reports, I'm seeing a distinct lack of them in the Cursegar lists that do well.

And sure, the Haunter is up to preference, but most pick the one with the Body, on the grounds that it has a Body. Most people don't honestly care which Haunter is used, since all of them are mediocre. The ones that do specifically choose one have some reason for choosing that one, and if it's to counter Shedinja, then that's their list.

So who exactly ran the Crobat's and Poketurns, and how many other staples did they cut for that? Cause that's around 6-8 spaces in a tight list, and there are huge consistency issues there trying to fit that. Looking at a few in the Tournament Reports, I'm seeing a distinct lack of them in the Cursegar lists that do well.

And sure, the Haunter is up to preference, but most pick the one with the Body, on the grounds that it has a Body. Most people don't honestly care which Haunter is used, since all of them are mediocre. The ones that do specifically choose one have some reason for choosing that one, and if it's to counter Shedinja, then that's their list.

I can't say that. (If you think I'm lying, then do so. I know for a fact that they are very good.)

Every good player should choose their Haunter wisely on the meta game. I play the Haunter which doesn't allow them to retreat, and I also play it for Shedinja which could be played.

When was the last time you saw a decent Cursegar list running Crobat G's? I sure haven't.

I've seen plenty. I run Crobat G in mine and it's good. I doubt that including it means I don't have a decent list.

And then that Haunter's left active to be an almost certain free prize, and that's assuming they don't run the Haunter with the body, like most lists do. KO-ing main attacking line > KO-ing a tech.

KOing the tech that shuts you down > sitting there doing nothing.

Your main attacking line in the deck is almost always one Cursegar that rarely, if ever, gets knocked out. You can afford to send up a Haunter if you have to, or you can just keep hitting anything that's not G'd on the bench with Gengar SF.

Responses in bold.

Responses in red.

So who exactly ran the Crobat's and Poketurns, and how many other staples did they cut for that?

This made me lol. It's 1-2 room, all the best lists run Luxray GL Lv X and Poketurn already. This is World Class lists we're talking about and I can vouch for DCF7 that it was a World Class player running it.

Some run Bats, some don't... Either way, you'll have to use up a lot of resources to KO that Shedinja.

If they run bats, they will likely get run over by DP Dusknoir, but have better matchups against other decks. Not saying that one or the other is better, because I honestly don't know (haven't tested the Bat version). From what I have tested, it is a VERY tight list, and if you do run luxray/bats/turns, you are sacrificing something from the core list.

While I don't necessarily think Shedinja is the best tech against it, it does have some uses against other popular decks (Flygon, Charizard, etc.). In SP decks, Roserade GL IMO is the easiest to tech in, and for any Stage 1/2 decks that can OHKO Gengar, Lumineon is a decent counter. Since you'll be running Warp Energies in Stage 1/2 decks anyways (I should hope), it's not a hard combo to get off.

Ironically, the best counter to Cursegar is Gengar itself. Yea right, straight oldschool Mother Gengar. Unless they run 2-3 Unown G which most lists don't, you can beat them easily.

And for any deck, teching Nidoqueen or Dusknoir helps a lot against Cursegar. ^^

I think mother Gengar could make a comeback with a good cursegar/ Gyarados matchup along with a decent luxchomp matchup.

I don't understand why Shendinja SV is counter to CurseGar? Gengar can still spread with Level-x's attack while Shedinja is doing 30 damage to one Pokemon... Also Curse/Haunter SF is way to knock out Shedinja...

Unown K, if you're running Azelf. Lock their Spiritomb, which they WILL send up at least once per game, Unown K to remove damage, deck them out. Not many CurseGar lists have room for Warp Energy - I've beaten CurseGar quite a few times by doing this. You can also use Chatot, but Azelf IMO is easier because you can drop it in one turn rather than wasting a turn attaching energy.

Unown K, if you're running Azelf. Lock their Spiritomb, which they WILL send up at least once per game, Unown K to remove damage, deck them out. Not many CurseGar lists have room for Warp Energy - I've beaten CurseGar quite a few times by doing this. You can also use Chatot, but Azelf IMO is easier because you can drop it in one turn rather than wasting a turn attaching energy.

How do you deck them out when they run Claydol? Seems like whoever is ahead in prizes will auto-win.

Back