Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Counters To Kingdra/Machamp

Bloodbane

So... I play Dialgachomp, and in our area there has been some Kingdra/Machamp that has won some tournaments, mainly in seniors, where I am. Well, I'm a little worried about the matter, and I have tried to figure out a few counters to Kingdra/Machamp that can be integrated into DG. Here are my ideas:

1-1-1 Dusknoir SF : Added Drawing, Night Spin=GG
1-1-1 Gengar AR/SF : Almost certain OHKO against Machamp
1-1 Drifblim UD : Almost OHKO, Take away against kingdra
Standard Toxitank : Machamps will be taken out, but it's useless against Kingdra

Do you have any ideas, and if not, can you tell which one of these is the best?

Kingdra can't do almost anything against Dialga, if it has few special metals attached. Therefore, Machamp is your mainly problem in that matchup. I suggest you to put Toxitank and Lucario in your deck, if you're curious enough to see what happens when you stop Deafening. Deafen slows them down enough for you to setup your toxitank-combo and their Uxies are sprayable matter. [del]They have to be extremely lucky to get Broken Time-Space and everything to a aggro Machamp in a deafen lock.[/del] fail'd.

Last edited:
Kingdra can't do almost anything against Dialga, if it has few special metals attached. Therefore, Machamp is your mainly problem in that matchup. I suggest you to put Toxitank and Lucario in your deck, if you're curious enough to see what happens when you stop Deafening. Deafen slows them down enough for you to setup your toxitank-combo and their Uxies are sprayable matter. They have to be extremely lucky to get Broken Time-Space and everything to a aggro Machamp in a deafen lock.

You can't play BTS when you're Deafen'd.

I would have to include.

-Third Stadium
-Skuntank G
-Toxicroak G

That would make the deck clunky, or more so. But i think Toxitank is in my opinion better option, considering that you run Counter-stadiums, Galactic HQ in my case, which give them much trouble if they can't draw into their Broken-time Spaces.

I don't have to tell you to Dragon Rush any Machops or Machokes on the bench. That's imperative.

Tech in Blaziken FB as a bench sitter to weaken Kingdra's attack, the opponent will then focus on their Machamp line. Have a Fire energy in your deck so Luring Flame becomes a cheap Bright Look capability.

Attack Machamp with Uxies, they do 50 for 1 energy. Follow up with Dragon Rush to KO Machamp.

A Machamp/Kingdra deck sometimes has an energy problem. Ambipom G is an effective disruptor if you Tail Code the fighting energy away to something else, leaving Machamp a sitting duck for Snap Attack for 60, or sniping around it for prizes. Don't forget Garchomp C can lay on the first 50 with Earthquake and then follow up with Dragon Rush for KO.

I don't have to tell you to Dragon Rush any Machops or Machokes on the bench. That's imperative.

Tech in Blaziken FB as a bench sitter to weaken Kingdra's attack, the opponent will then focus on their Machamp line. Have a Fire energy in your deck so Luring Flame becomes a cheap Bright Look capability.

Attack Machamp with Uxies, they do 50 for 1 energy. Follow up with Dragon Rush to KO Machamp.

A Machamp/Kingdra deck sometimes has an energy problem. Ambipom G is an effective disruptor if you Tail Code the fighting energy away to something else, leaving Machamp a sitting duck for Snap Attack for 60, or sniping around it for prizes. Don't forget Garchomp C can lay on the first 50 with Earthquake and then follow up with Dragon Rush for KO.

This is an extremely effective way to deal with Kingdra Machamp without putting in a specific tech. (Blaziken FB is pro and should be considered if you don't have Luxray in any SP deck.)

In our testing, the Toxictank combo is fun and super easy to get off, just watch for the BTS to drop the turn after your Deafenlock goes away. Toxicroak is completely immune to Machamp's first attack so you can stall extremely effectively for several turns.

We haven't really run the Drifblim tech, but I love the idea of dropping it to the bench, use their BTS to evolve, attach DCE, Galactic Switch another energy, and you're set for a 1 turn setup takeaway. Makes me laugh just thinking about the big tanks going poof and gone.

The problem is, they happen to play 3-2-3 line of both pokés and only one of those Kingdras is Prime. That makes Blaziken FB meanless.

The problem is, they happen to play 3-2-3 line of both pokés and only one of those Kingdras is Prime. That makes Blaziken FB meanless.

Then I can't imagine they're using Kingdra LA the way it is meant to be used....discarding 2 water with Dragon Pump a few times and then get them back with Aqua Stream; the combined Machamp/Kingdra deck just doesn't have that much water energy. And it's a complete pain in this format to search out energies from your deck without Roseanne's Research.

Well, in the case of Kingdra LA, I suppose you don't run Luxray. With Lucario GL in play you'd be able to hit for x2 lightning weakness. Or tech in something that it absolutely can't kill like Turtwig GL.

Exactly. I'm still giving five bucks for the Deafen. I just can't see KingdraMachamp winning a Deafening Dialga with Toxitank..

Back