Critical Hitting through stat boosters

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by Mr. Grass, Nov 3, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

Has anyone else had the experience of Critical Hits canceling out the effect of defense/special defense boosting moves? I've been raising a Xatu with Calm Mind. A few times it's happened that while I've been fighting Glacia. I'll have used Calm Mind a few times so Glailie's Ice Beam only does about 15 damage, then it'll get a critical hit that wipes me out completely. Have critical hits always ignored stat boosts?

2. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

I knew that they ignored Light Screen/Reflect, wasnt to sure on stat boosters though, but I think that it does... it seems to be doing it in your case anyways

3. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

hmm, have you been able to reproduce the effect, because as of ru/sa stat bonuses have a set duration.

4. Pablo

Pablo New Member

yes, all critical hits, ignore all damage modifiers except for weakness (not sure about resistance though)

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

I seem to recall way back when (in the RBY days) fighting Metapods/Kakunas praying for critical hits cause it seemed to ignore there maxed out harden attack...... but that was so loooong ago.......

6. Marril

Marril New Member

The way criticals work is that they always do the maximum possible damage with the status modifiers in play. It didn't always used to be that way, they used to simply ignore any boosters on attack or defense stats. That's why Sword Dance and Slash didn't work well together in RBY.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  7. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

mudkip, right you are, but there are some things it doesn't ignore:
    Atk/Satk modifier
    Def/SpDef modifier
    resistance

And my above post was a mistake. i didn't realise it was a critical hit.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003