Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Critical Hitting through stat boosters

Mr. Grass

Has anyone else had the experience of Critical Hits canceling out the effect of defense/special defense boosting moves? I've been raising a Xatu with Calm Mind. A few times it's happened that while I've been fighting Glacia. I'll have used Calm Mind a few times so Glailie's Ice Beam only does about 15 damage, then it'll get a critical hit that wipes me out completely. Have critical hits always ignored stat boosts?

I knew that they ignored Light Screen/Reflect, wasnt to sure on stat boosters though, but I think that it does... it seems to be doing it in your case anyways

yes, all critical hits, ignore all damage modifiers except for weakness (not sure about resistance though)

I seem to recall way back when (in the RBY days) fighting Metapods/Kakunas praying for critical hits cause it seemed to ignore there maxed out harden attack...... but that was so loooong ago.......

The way criticals work is that they always do the maximum possible damage with the status modifiers in play. It didn't always used to be that way, they used to simply ignore any boosters on attack or defense stats. That's why Sword Dance and Slash didn't work well together in RBY.

Last edited:
mudkip, right you are, but there are some things it doesn't ignore:
Atk/Satk modifier
Def/SpDef modifier
resistance

And my above post was a mistake. i didn't realise it was a critical hit.

Last edited:
Back