Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cut BR CPs: A Comprehensive look at how BRs changed 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidgeotto Trainer

While there has been some recent news and discussion about Battle Roads (BRs), I want to tie BRs to some the discussion found here about how the season continues to get longer for the competitive player: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166260

From the 2010-2011 season to this past year and next year, Pokemon has arguably more than DOUBLED the amount of tournaments a competitive player needs to attend to give themselves the best chance at worlds. This is a huge issue in the game IMO. From adults with jobs including parents, to the many college age players, to school age kids who also attend sports or clubs, there are many reasons to not make playing pokemon competitively so demanding time and travel wise.

Of course there will always be a balance. Yes, you need some amount of dedication to this game to be competitive, and that will always be true. We all love the game and love to play anyways. But given the considerations in the previous paragraph, the correct answer is not always 'Make players go to more events! Show dedication to the game!'. It's always going to be a balance, and the question just is where to draw the line. The line has shifted by an enormous amount in the past year and I don't think that many people are happy about it.

In 2008-2011 the competitive player had to go to say:

~6 weekends of cities
2 weekends of states
1 weekend of regionals
nats
worlds

With current information for 2012-2013 the competitive player needs to go to:

~10 weekends of battle roads
~6 weekends of cities
3 weekends of states
3 weekends of regionals
nats
worlds

That's roughly an increase of 13 weekends, and 3 larger travels (3rd state, 2nd and 3rd regionals). Looking at the 2008-2011 schedule, this more than doubles the number of events a player must go to to be competitive.

A player really needs to go to just about all of these events to be competitive, even with the BFL (Best Finish Limits). Everyone knows there is luck in this game, and even the greatest players will not top cut every event. Donks, bad matchups, bad hands. The BFL is great to balance this, but it no doubt still greatly favors the players who can attend every event they see. This post was also a good summary of why BFL does not really lower the number of tournaments a competitive player needs to attend: http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2284205&postcount=49

Anyways, if you look at the 2 lists above, my gosh, the season has gotten so much longer in just a year! Why?

I want to be clear that I really like the Championship Point (CP) system as a concept. Removing the 'gamble' of playing events or top cuts, especially nationals is very very good for the game in my opinion.

There can be many debates about how exactly the CPs should be divided between cities, states etc. That's a complicated problem I have not thought about much or weighed the numbers in. But it is simple too see that BRs are necessary now, where they weren't before.

In 2008-2011, once BRs were made k value 4, they practically had almost 0% effect on the competitive player. I qualified thru ratings all 3 of those years, including being #1 most of 08-09 without playing a single BR. This was a side-effect of the ELO system. In the final ELO standings your most recent events matter most, so the fall BRs were meaningless both in k value 4 and in being the beginning of the season. Spring BRs became nearly useless because they were too high a risk to play in for the top players, as ELO offered those high rated players high risk and low reward. So while BRs had a k value of 4, their actual contribution to players trying to go for a worlds invite was actually even less than that.

How important are BRs now? I took some statistics from players in this thread: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166046 and also looked closely at the final standings for 2011-2012. 17 of the masters top 40 and 9 of the seniors top 40 from North America responded to my survey (and one junior). 13/17 of the masters and 6/9 of the seniors needed their BR points to make the top 40. Moreover, 9/17 of the masters and 5/9 of the seniors needed half or more of the points they earned from BRs. The average number of Battle Roads attended in each age division for these top 40 players was 9, with multiple players playing up to 14. The average number of CPs gained by surveyed masters was 7, and for seniors 8. Take away 7 points and only the top 13 masters keep their invite. Take away 8 points from seniors, and only top 15 keep their invite.

I think the most telling stat is from a simple look at the standings though. Masters North America 24th place has 52 CPs. 41st place has 49 CPs. Almost half the players who gained an invite were 3 CPs away from losing it. 3 CPs are the difference between nearly half the players who got their invite, and them not getting their invite. That means one could view any gain of 3 CPs (such as potentially one weekend of BRs) as a chance to DOUBLE their chances at an invite. When 3 more CPs doubles a players chance at an invite, how can anyone trying to be competitive comfortably not do whatever they can to attend every single BR they can? They have to.

Someone here is probably going to tell me 'no one is making you go to events.' From a competitive standpoint, they are. If you think we shouldn't be concerned with how events affect players trying to be competitive, then why should you care about CPs? CPs (unlike existence vs non-existence of 3rd regionals) is a purely 'competitive player' issue.
(and FWIW, I think it's clear a large amount of the player considers being a 'competitive player' as an important part of their Pokemon experience. No doubt removing this element will turn away players.)

With the stats above, it is clear that BRs now matter A LOT. They went from being completely unnecessary for a competitive player to being absolutely mandatory. As many people noticed, this was an enormous change for players, and the atmosphere of BRs. Many people liked that BRs were the 'less competitive' tournaments before. Even though I would not often play BRs (I was in college) I know I enjoyed looking up the winners from my area on poke gym, and seeing 'rogue dad' kinds of players win. Players who are good but like to play their own unique decks get their shot and not have to compete with the worlds chasers who had to come in with the tier 1 deck to fuel their chase. I'm sure there could be similar dynamics in the younger age divisions.

Many of the other benefits of having BRs be a less competitive atmosphere were nicely listed out a few days ago on this post: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166536

There have been many discussions about what should be done to the CP/tournament system lately. Unlike the 3rd regionals issue, cutting BR CPs does not take away any events for people who want to go to as many events as possible. But it WOULD lessen the strain of the long season on the competitive player by a lot I feel. BRs might not require the travel in one weekend of a regionals, but those 10 weekends build up. The cities season is always an intense and fun part of the season, but effectively making there be 3 cities seasons a year is just stressful and difficult to maintain for many people.

My first vote would be to cut BR CPs completely. Until the 'no BR top cut' news, I didn't think this was a possibility, as BRs always had a k value, even though it was EFFECTIVELY 0 from 2008-2011. Effectively, zero CPs for BR would be the most similar to 2008-2011. But even in comparing 2012-2013 to those years, there is still 1 more state, 2 more regionals, and players can now play BRs and Nationals WITHOUT RISK. If you were a player in 2008-2011 who wanted to play in more competitive events during the year, you should still be VERY VERY happy with a 2012-2013 that had zero CPs attached to BRs.

If Pokemon wants to keep CPs in BRs because it is part of the 'championship series' or whatever, the maximum amount of points you can get really needs to not be higher than 2-4. The current maximum is 16, with multiple top 40 players gaining more than 10. Here are some sample layouts I would like to see:

A:
0 CPs for all places

B:
1 CP for 1st
Best finish Limit (BFL): 2

C:
1 CP for 1st
1/2 CP for x-1 (or 2nd, or 2nd-4th with kickers)
BFL: 2-4

D:
2 CP for 1st
1 CP for x-1 (or 2nd, or 2nd-4th with kickers)
BFL: 2

(Why a larger limit for say C over B? If you make option B BFL: 4, there will be a larger discrepancy between the player who goes to 10 events and the player who goes to 3 events, 3 x-1s can at least shorten the gap with the player who went to 10 and won 4.)

Honestly, I even feel like 4 CPs is a lot for BRs. That's still such a larger influence than 2008-2011! BRs determined very very few invites in those years, and 4 CPs would still be incredibly significant (a difference that determined roughly half the invites). Again, my first vote would be A.

But anyways, the current max 16 CPs is just ENORMOUS compared to the ~0 influence of 2008-2011 BRs.

I'm hoping Pokemon never intended to make BRs so important. I don't recall people clamoring to make BRs more important, and there were people saying that BRs were too much even when the CP numbers were released a year ago. Now we have data to show that yes, BRs matter now, A LOT. I'm hoping Pokemon just made a big mistake in how they setup the CP values for BRs, with their primary focus being a non risk system (CP over ELO) rather than a dramatic lengthening the season. CPs were a GREAT idea, but let's just fix the (unintended?) longer season side effect.

More big events (like the contentious 3rd regional) will have some proponents, but more important small events has many fewer I think. The exact breakdown of the perfect CP system, or ELO system or whatever would be difficult to calculate. More regionals spread out over the 3 weeks would be really great (and I hope to see that in the future), but I see it would cost more for Pokemon and the PTOs. But fixing just the BRs and making the season much more manageable again is EASY, from both a calculations and tournament logistics perspective, and cuts zero tournaments from those who want to play every weekend. Let's see this happen.

Thanks for reading.

I realize my response is gonna sound rude. I apologize beforehand.

To be honest, your post was extremely long and as such I sorta petered out after a bit and must confess, I didn't read it all. However, the point I'll make may still be appropriate. I feel you are coming across as someone with a sense of entitlement.

Let's face it, regardless of how hard this task is for any particular person in any particular country to do .... basically anyone who really wants to get to worlds knows that they can get there by winning their respective country's Nationals. You DON'T HAVE TO RUN ALL OVER THE COUNTRY to every tournament you possibly can, to make it to World's. However if you want to, no one is going to stop you. Even those willing to fore go all the running around have a chance - however small, to make it to world's. Don't let yourself be stressed out about it. Your involvement is entirely up to you. What TPCi does with the points (be it 3 points or 55, it doesn't matter) can be irrelevant if you believe it to be so.

I don't mean to offend of course, but I do hope my comment explained enough to help.

Man P_A, you're really good at offending people. You can do it without even trying!

Making the game more favorable to those with the most money isn't a good thing. And that's what I think is happening. People who have enough money and time to go to 3 regionals, 3 states, 10+ Cities, and Nationals have a huge advantage over those that can't when it comes to getting an invite. The game has a lot of elements of luck, so you need to go to the maximum number of tournaments to maximize your chances of running well at enough of them to get a lot of CP.

I would be for cutting CPs for BRs if only because to me, it sounds like they're pushing for it to be casual and not important with the lack of top cuts or anything anyways. As someone mentioned in the other thread, BRs were originally conceived to just be local casual sort of tournaments anyways, and cutting out CPs would promote that original concept. Otherwise, again especially at larger BRs and such, you'll get a lot of negative feelings going solely by what is effectively single elimination.

I realize my response is gonna sound rude. I apologize beforehand.

To be honest, your post was extremely long and as such I sorta petered out after a bit and must confess, I didn't read it all. However, the point I'll make may still be appropriate. I feel you are coming across as someone with a sense of entitlement.

Let's face it, regardless of how hard this task is for any particular person in any particular country to do .... basically anyone who really wants to get to worlds knows that they can get there by winning their respective country's Nationals. You DON'T HAVE TO RUN ALL OVER THE COUNTRY to every tournament you possibly can, to make it to World's. However if you want to, no one is going to stop you. Even those willing to fore go all the running around have a chance - however small, to make it to world's. Don't let yourself be stressed out about it. Your involvement is entirely up to you. What TPCi does with the points (be it 3 points or 55, it doesn't matter) can be irrelevant if you believe it to be so.

I don't mean to offend of course, but I do hope my comment explained enough to help.
Getting the invite through Nationals is a crap shoot. Eight people out of over a thousand will get them. Everything rides on one tournament where a couple bad hands or donks in the same match, a bad matchup in top cut, etc. can end whatever chance you have at doing well at Nationals. The best players in the world qualify for ranking almost every year, or at least get close. We have, for the most part, different people qualifying every year through Nationals, and the few who qualify consistently will also bomb out every now and them. Nationals is not a reliable way to qualify at all.

Also, some people are not blessed with the money/time to go to a billion events. So it's really NOT up to them to decide if they want to commit to playing. Ross wouldn't be making this post if he wasn't committed to being a competitive player. That does not mean he has the time/money (although for all I know he does) to travel around doing what it takes to be a competitive player. That's why he made this post.

I agree that BRs are way too important (as are Cities IMO) at the way they stand now. It's bad when you can get more than 1/5 of the points you need at BRs. I'd really like to see TPCi cut the BFL down so it doesn't emphasize the smaller tournaments. I don't like the idea of cutting CPs for BRs because that would discourage people from going. Why would competitive players go if it doesn't help them get an invite? I like option C because it's not giving out too many points and it's a good BFL for BRs IMO.

The basis for your argument is invalid.

You are saying take away 7 Championship Points from the Top 40 (masters) players. When you do that 27 of them fall below the 49 point cut off point. Obviously some players will fall below the invite cut off point, but it is not fair to call the 49 point cut off point a cut off point when the number 49 was determined using numbers from Battle Roads as well.

You are making the claim that X amount of players got X amount of points to pass the invite cut off point because of Battle Roads. Does it really matter where they got the points from to “pass” the invite cut off point. Someone could make the argument that players passed the cut off point from doing good at SPTs/Regional’s or Cities or Nationals. The 3 point difference you said could be made up by attending a weekend of Battle Roads could easily be a weekend at an SPT/Regionals as well.

The reason I asked for more data in the other thread is because, I am very interested in comparing the amount of points earned from each series (BR, CC, SPT/REGS, NATS) of those players in Top 40 with those in 41st-100th place. I would hypothesize that there is no significant difference in the amount of points earned from Battle Roads of players in Top 40 then those in 41st-100th place. I would also hypothesize that there is a significant difference in the amount of points earned from SPTs/REGS of players in Top 40 then those in 41st-100th place.

In layman’s terms what I am trying to say in the above paragraph is I predict that players in the Top 100 earned about the same championship points from Battle Roads while players in the Top 40 earned more points from SPT/REGS then those in 41st-100th place.

The reasoning behind my predictions is that there are so many Battle Road events to get points at, yet by comparison there are so few SPT/REGS to get points at, therefore players who get in the Top 40 get more of those SPT/REGS points then those in 41st-100th place.

I unfortunately did not get enough data from the Top 40 and 41st-100th place to run statistical tests I wanted to run. If anyone in the Top 100 wants to go provide that data in the other thread I will run my tests. I won’t feel confident in the data or the test unless I get a decent sample from Top 40 and 41st-100th.

I did do one small thing with the data that was collected in the other thread.

Based on 11 players who made TOP 40 who submitted ALL the data that I asked for.

On Average the individual player earned:
10.34% of their Championship Points from Battle Roads
40.01% of their Championship Points from City Championships
43.19% of their Championship Points from SPT/Regional Championships
6.45% of their Championship Points from Nationals.

Granted this data is only based off of 11 players, any suggested change based on this data is invalid because not enough raw data was collected. If more data is collected from the Top 100 and these percentages do not change much I could see an argument made that Cities count for too much. I could not see the same thing for Battle Roads though

The basis for your argument is invalid.

You are saying take away 7 Championship Points from the Top 40 (masters) players. When you do that 27 of them fall below the 49 point cut off point. Obviously some players will fall below the invite cut off point, but it is not fair to call the 49 point cut off point a cut off point when the number 49 was determined using numbers from Battle Roads as well.

You are making the claim that X amount of players got X amount of points to pass the invite cut off point because of Battle Roads. Does it really matter where they got the points from to “pass” the invite cut off point. Someone could make the argument that players passed the cut off point from doing good at SPTs/Regional’s or Cities or Nationals. The 3 point difference you said could be made up by attending a weekend of Battle Roads could easily be a weekend at an SPT/Regionals as well.

The reason I asked for more data in the other thread is because, I am very interested in comparing the amount of points earned from each series (BR, CC, SPT/REGS, NATS) of those players in Top 40 with those in 41st-100th place. I would hypothesize that there is no significant difference in the amount of points earned from Battle Roads of players in Top 40 then those in 41st-100th place. I would also hypothesize that there is a significant difference in the amount of points earned from SPTs/REGS of players in Top 40 then those in 41st-100th place.

In layman’s terms what I am trying to say in the above paragraph is I predict that players in the Top 100 earned about the same championship points from Battle Roads while players in the Top 40 earned more points from SPT/REGS then those in 41st-100th place.

The reasoning behind my predictions is that there are so many Battle Road events to get points at, yet by comparison there are so few SPT/REGS to get points at, therefore players who get in the Top 40 get more of those SPT/REGS points then those in 41st-100th place.

I think the stats I presented still support my point. If the difference is 3 points, then yes that player needed every bit of their states/regs performances as well as just about every bit of their BR experiences. No matter how you add it up, if a player is ending up 3 points short and had to miss one weekend of BRs (or yes, one state), that could be the difference. So states are certainly AT LEAST as important as BRs, but BRs are also so important that one more weekend can be the difference of an invite is my point. That makes the BRs as crucial as anything.

Even if top 40 and 41-100 are gaining the same amount from BRs, I don't think that changes how important BRs are in this system. An extra 3 CPs from BRs is still X number of spots. It still moves 24th to 41st even if BRs are a smaller piece of the pie than SPT/Regs.

Comparing to the 49 point threshold is still valid to my argument. It shows that under the current system, you would have to get equivalent ~top 13 to get an invite in the current system, if you played no Battle Roads. I also compared it the other way and actually looked at each of the 17 players who gave me data, and 13 needed their BR points, and 9 needed half or more of their BR points.

In short, it seems like your post tried to emphasize that SPT/Regs are a bigger factor than BRs. They are, but BRs are a big enough factor that a competitive player basically needs to play every one of them still, which wasn't true until last year. Even if top 40 and 41-100 are on average earning the same from BRs, they still need to attend all of them just to keep pace. Maybe BRs are only 10% of the points, but 10% definitely is invite-changing no matter how you look at it.

I think you are trying to find a system that perfectly distributes CP in the correct balance. That is highly commendable, and good luck to you, but that is not my central goal (in part because that is a difficult question to answer). My point is that in this current system, every BR (and every other event) is practically necessary to be competitive. This was an enormous change from just the year before. For the purposes of this post, I care more that the number of events competitive players must attend goes down, more than finding the perfect distribution of CPs over events that your %s would seem to be a clue to answering. Maybe cities are too important and nats not important enough for example, but that question is not as related to the travel/time/money concerns I have. I'm viewing all tournaments as 'necessary' or 'unnecessary' for competitive players. The 'necessary' group doubled last year, and the stats I presented were to show that they were 'necessary.'

Last edited:
It's kind of a shame that you spent so much time on this post before we get the whole story behind the next season...

I realize given the recent news of no top cut etc., there may be a decision already. But in case P!P hasn't decided yet, this discussion could still be useful.

It's kind of a shame that you spent so much time on this post before we get the whole story behind the next season...

A shame? How on Earth is it a shame?

Shame on someone for putting time and thought into the game we all love?

Unnecessary I could see. A shame? Get out of town.

How disrespectful.

FWIW, I didn't read ShuckleLvlX's post as 'shame on me', but more as 'it's a shame because perhaps the wheels are already in motion for some direction and this post may not have any influence'....
But I appreciate your defense. ;p

A shame? How on Earth is it a shame?

Shame on someone for putting time and thought into the game we all love?

Unnecessary I could see. A shame? Get out of town.

How disrespectful.

Wasn't a shame on him, but this is very much so a shame on you for jumping to the most confrontational conclusion you possibly could have!

It's a very well thought out piece, but it could very likely be pointless. It seems he's aware of that, so the only one who needs to get out of town here is you.

Without CPs, BRs would still have an influence on a Worlds invite because the premier rating is the tiebreaker. Has the premier rating as a tiebreaker affected anyone?

Without CPs, BRs would still have an influence on a Worlds invite because the premier rating is the tiebreaker. Has the premier rating as a tiebreaker affected anyone?

Both 41st places in Juniors/Seniors were decided on ELO and in Masters IIRC, it was 3-4 people all affected by ELO.

Yes. In North American people both made and whiffed on 49 points and in Europe people both made and whiffed on 39 points.

So, to be a complete pedant, 50 was actually the cut-off in NA. Reason being: 49 points did not guarantee you an invite, it took it down to ELO. 50 did guarantee the invite.

As for the argument at large i don't entirely agree but the post was incredibly well-thought out and explained and i think Ross should be commended for not just bringing this to our attention but doing so in such a thoughtful and intelligent way. 2 point i would add:

1. I agree that the BR points limit should be lower

2. I think that people should have to attend many tournaments to get to Worlds. It's Worlds, it should require an investment. I speak as someone who missed an invite due to bubbling and missing tournaments that would almost certainly have gained me significant points... that i had neither the time nor money to attend. The people in Europe that qualified this season matches quite well with who deserved to.

I think you are trying to find a system that perfectly distributes CP in the correct balance. That is highly commendable, and good luck to you, but that is not my central goal (in part because that is a difficult question to answer). My point is that in this current system, every BR (and every other event) is practically necessary to be competitive. This was an enormous change from just the year before. For the purposes of this post, I care more that the number of events competitive players must attend goes down, more than finding the perfect distribution of CPs over events that your %s would seem to be a clue to answering. Maybe cities are too important and nats not important enough for example, but that question is not as related to the travel/time/money concerns I have. I'm viewing all tournaments as 'necessary' or 'unnecessary' for competitive players. The 'necessary' group doubled last year, and the stats I presented were to show that they were 'necessary.'

I am not trying to find a system perfectly distributes CP in the correct balance, but it seems lately everyone is trying to figure out how every aspect of Organized Play could benefit them. I in fact like the current system. What you are suggesting is a complete deemphasization of Battle Roads. This could do one of two things depending on how much Battle Roads are deemphasized. If CPs are taken away completely from Battle Roads attendance would drop because there would be nothing in it for most of the players.

If the amount of CPs that could be earned at Battle Roads is ridiculously low due to low payouts and low BFLs as in your examples above what will happen is “competitive” players will go to Battle Roads and quickly max out on points. Then these players will stop going to Battle Roads thus hurting attendance OR keep on going to help their friends/other “competitive” players, by scooping to them at the remaining Battle Roads. What we will find at the end of the season is the bulk of the Top players (those who get invites and those who don’t) will all max out on CPs effectively making Battle Roads worthless.

Just a question for you Ross, why are you not making the same arguments about City Championships? Why is this ONLY about Battle Roads? There are just about as many City Championships as there are Battle Roads. Cities are held on multiple weeks that require players to travel, just like Battle Roads. Cities offer more Championship Points then Battle Roads. What makes Battle Roads so different then City Championships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back