Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Darkness Energy in EX Ruby & Sapphire

Kanga Da Roo

Anyone have any clue how this card works now?? I understand that the 10 extra damage now only applies to Dark pokemon or pokemon that have Dark in thier name. What if you attach a Dark energy to a non-dark pokemon? Does it take 10 damage to itself like the old one. I know it doesnt get the 10 extra damage to the attack. But does it do 10 damage to itself?

Kanga Da Roo said:
Anyone have any clue how this card works now?? I understand that the 10 extra damage now only applies to Dark pokemon or pokemon that have Dark in thier name. What if you attach a Dark energy to a non-dark pokemon? Does it take 10 damage to itself like the old one. I know it doesnt get the 10 extra damage to the attack. But does it do 10 damage to itself?

As far as I know... no it doesn't deal the 10 to it's self at the end of each turn. It's basically like a basic Dark energy... if there was such a thing lol. Same thing with the Metal energy. They only apply the effects to the right type of Pokemon. For Darkness energy it only adds effects IF your Pokemon has Dark in it's name or is a Dark type. For Metal, if it's a Metal Pokemon, it applies the effects, if not then it doesn't do anything. :)

Last edited:
Quote from the official Pokemon-tcg.com website:

"Darkness Energy
Special Energy Card
Illustrator: Milky Isobe

If the Pokémon Darkness Energy is attached to attacks, the attack does 10 more damage to the Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Ignore this effect unless the Attacking Pokémon is or has Dark in its name. Darkness Energy provides Energy. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy card.)"

It appears that any damage to the user is now not used... it's nothing more than a colorless energy for a non-dark Pokémon, it seems.

With the new rules, you could still use it to pay for a colorless energy cost on a non-dark pokemon.
There is no longer a drawback or a bonus if played on a non-dark pokemon.

Oh, and someone also noticed that the new Darkness Energy adds 10 damage before Weakness and Resistance instead of after!

It's also covered in the Ruby & Sapphire rulebook, page 17, where it discusses how to calculate damage in steps. Tricky.

That actually is a good thing, or else putting on Darkness Energy for Sharpedo's "Dark Slash" attack would become a real risk! This makes it so that you can use "Energy Absorption" on those Special Energy without repercussions, and perhaps on the next turn, use Aquapolis Espeon's "Energy Return"!

PokePop said:
Oh, and someone also noticed that the new Darkness Energy adds 10 damage before Weakness and Resistance instead of after!
And if my memory serves me right, ALL printings of Darkness Energy and Metal Energy are errated to match their new rulings.

Sweet.

Last edited:
That is correct. Whenever a card is rereleased, the newer text overides the old text, even if you use the older card.

Back