Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dayton Ohio, 2nd Place Report with Machamp

Naki Feralkin

So I'd been throwing a bunch of ideas around pall mall for the last month and a half, experimenting with stupid ideas, funny ideas, things that could work, things that plain out just don't work and I finally caved, dumped the Lucario's from my deck and played straight speed champ (Featuring some fun pixie power subtracting Mesprit, and also a Dusknoir DP tech.), I was skeptical, worried about it at first because I hadn't tried it this way except at league, where it ran okay, but not spectacular. My girlfriend (secretsof2113) was playing Eeveelutions with a few of my tech ideas in there, but the way I threw it together didn't work quite as well as I had planned.

I also run one DP Champ as the Revenge annihilates Regigigas, and Dynamic Punch is nothing difficult to set up with Stark Mountain present.

We had 34 players present which means we were in for one LOOOOOONG day of 40 minute rounds, awful headaches, and snow coming down.

Oh yeah, did I mention a Top 8 cut? :p

Down to business.

Round 1 Vs. Isaiah Beltridge (Gardevoir/Gallade)

He has T1 Sableye, goes for T1 TGW. Fortunately, he didn't have the special dark, so no donk fest. I win the wager and get an even better set up than my opening hand. After going for the wager, he spoons over his 2nd turn and has absolutely nothing to work with. I get a T2 Machamp and give Sableye some chinese take out for the win.

We play a second game afterwards and it was a much close game, but I still manage to outlast his gardevoir lock nonsense. (1-0)

Round 2 Vs. Corey Oliver (Gardevoir/Gallade)

Over just as quick as the previous game. He goes second, and bebe's for a Claydol? (Active Ralts) and I T2 Donk him with Machamp. He didn't see it coming because I didn't pull out the chop for KO till that second turn. GG. (2-0)

Round 3 Vs. Jackie Wheeler (Garchomp/Infernape)

I will tell you way ahead of time that Mrs. Wheeler could not flip a tails all game and that did hurt some of her better chances through out. I do manage an early chinese lead by opening with a quick machamp to get rid of some of the early threats, she did manage to get out a Moltres, but couldn't get the energy on it in time to start doing any real damage and she tail flipped it as well. She also got out an LA Infernape, again to no avail. By the time she got a decent offense going, I'd already taken 5 prizes and it was game by the end. She ended up doing a LOT better today though. (3-0)

Round 4 Vs. Kyle Lesniewicz (Regigigas)

This match was a toughie, and I was worried about my matchup against Gigas, because there had not been a whole lot of insight as to how the matchup goes with Champ and Gigas, I'd learned today that Gigas has a much rougher time with Champ than the common belief.

I get out a Dusknoir fairly early to keep my opponents field in disarray. He Mesprit-hax me for 3 turns, but its still not enough to keep up with DP Machamp's assault. I hit an early Regi for 140 with Revenge (NO LX!) and keep the Sacrifice from being too beneficial. He tries to stage a comeback towards the end, but can't keep up with the constant offensive. (I pulled out Regirock, cycled, starked to champ, Bebe for Level X, level up and Strong-willed for 160 to finish.) (4-0)

Round 5 Vs. David Olding (AMU feat. Dusknoir)

My opponent knew what I was playing as both of us kind of revealed it to each other pre-match, he looked kind of worried, but needless to say I was far more worried than he was, I believe. It looked okay to start, but he managed to get out an early dusknoir (Shadow command) in order to start some spread while stalling for pixies. I didn't pull much of anything the entire game, whiffing on Rowans and Cynthia's, as well as even Claydol the entire game. Utterly miserable the entire game as I get rolled by an endless pixie swarm. I take no more than 2 prizes this entire game. (4-1)

Round 6 Vs. Pamela Orenbaun (Bellossom)

Pam's a really cool pokemom, the mother of an 08 World's Junior player, and she's been doing pretty solid with Bellossom of late, and while I haven't ever played her in tournament before, I felt bad because I was starving at this point in time and that i couldn't give her a second game for fun.

Needless to say, another donk was in order in a different aspect. I have a shiny Duskull start with an unown G (which I did play as an opener to prevent donkage), I go first and Counting Song to place 3 (It IS Baltoy, after all.), she goes second, tries to bucks into a basic, and to no avail. I finished it next turn with a second Counting Song. X.X (5-1)

I would have played a second, but I needed food, like whoamg. I put my deck in order for top 8 and go run to the pizza joint around the corner to have delicious food.

Top 8 Vs. Dustin Zimmerman (umbreon777) (Regigigas)

Dustin is a really cool guy and I've always wanted to get a good match with him. I felt like I got shafted a top 8 cut at Michigan states against him a while back because I had barely lost to someone due to a minor error on my part, and what miffs me most is that my opponent just dropped right after our game, even though he had a cut. So it messed me and someone elses chances up entirely.

Dustin looked very somber pregame because I was the only one playing Machamp the entire day and he didn't know if he could beat me or not.

My games are really fuzzy up to here because I had a horrible migraine by this time and I had just taken an advil before the matches started. I do remember that Gigas got its usual early game lead in which I got a Machamp good to go and started getting rid of some crucial drops. I also remember an annoying amount of Mesprit-hax and that Dustin just stopped R1 because he knew I had it.

R2 I remember an annoying amount of whiffs until we finally get a real game going, pretty much the same outcome as the first game after all that is said and done.

I did avenge Heather's R5 loss here, and I move on. (6-1)

Top 4 Vs. David Olding (AMU feat. Dusknoir)

It was now time to avenge my R5 loss. After the tedious and disgusting game I had against David previously, I wanted to make up for that and hopefully cross into rivers never ventured before. I knew what he was playing and how he played it, and I hoped that I could get my stuff going first.

The first game was really long. I do remember I was getting loopy by this time due to the medicine and I was blurting a lot of random online meme's because of Machamp having a 9k power level. I also remember I was talking like Liquid Snake for a couple of minutes.

He did get an early Dusknoir going, but couldn't get the Level X out before I stopped it dead. The main reason he'd kept me at bay the previous game is because he did start Night Spinning and I couldn't get a Stark Mountain out to stop the Level X (As well as the constant Cynthia/Rowan whiffing), this time I got rid of it before it became problematic. He did Palm away a critical Machamp X and kept me at a 3 bench, which was tedious, but I still had enough on the bench to keep a solid offensive going. I manage to start getting rid of his pixies and messing up his 200 damage (though he did nuke my Champ X at one point for 300 damage... xD) and he is unable to keep it going.

David didn't play any Unown G's, either, which really hurt his situation.

Game 2, I get a relatively sweet hand, he has a single Azelf and no way to get anything. I donk him T2. GG. (7-1)

Top 2 Vs. Chris Fulop (AMU feat Leafeon)

Well, I have to say this result was quite amusing, seeing as how Chris knew what I was playing and I knew what he was playing, his AMU list being one I've played against a lot on campus, though my Machamp had taken drastic changes. I felt this was a bad matchup in his favor, as he knew my playstyle, and while I knew his, Chris is an extremely talented player and would not be easy to topple.

Round 1 was going in my favor for quite some time, I had been getting rid of some early problems, had some good early aggression, but unlike David, I couldn't just chinese my way through most of Chris because he played Unown G's, and used them quite a bit. I had no problems with fighting against them as I'd been doing it all day long, I also remember a LOT of mesprit-hax going on, so I missed some crucial draws on game one. By the time the game ended, a lot of time had already elapsed. Chris had also told me he was surprised he'd come back and thought I was going to win that one.

Game 2 looked like it was in his favor for much of it, but I took a crazy gamble by Leveling up a Champ at a critical moment to jump ahead in prize count towards the last few minutes because I was determined to get to that 4 prize taken. It would have worked if time wasn't called by then. I knew I had the second game in my favor by the time I got him out because Chris had used a ton of his Roseanne's, Premier Ball's, and night maintenances by this point in the game, and I was uncertain if even if he did kill the champ X, if he could keep up with my Aggro without Mesprit.

I greatly dislike that new rule and I was worrying about it even during the first round. Even so, a loss like this in a cities event, I don't mind it being to Fulop. (7-2)

All in all, good day. I got some good ratings points, my Machamp list did not disappoint me, I don't plan on changing it, as Jacob played it on Sunday and placed 1st in his division, despite being a sloppy player in his Top cut game. Myself and Heather both felt terrible going back to the Duluards that night because we both had terrible migraines and the snow was not helping.

Also funny was yesterday after Columbus (We were both judging), we kept on trying to get out of there after wrapping up Juniors and Seniors top cut, and we didn't get out until after Master's due to uncontrollable factors, the first being the HJ/Master's judge getting sick half way through the round, so I had to finish T4, the second one being Fulop's Saturn Ion going kersplut because of the battery dying. To be fair, we had no idea what was going on for a while because Heather's cables are older and didn't work quite as well as we had hoped, so we called triple A, were going to have to have a 2 hour wait (yuck) and then someone gave us another set of jumper cables which finally worked. So Fulop and his cohorts had quite an adventure. So after giving them a jump, myself, Heather, and Jacob finally get out of Columbus by almost 9:30. X.X

Fun weekend though, can't complain.

Props:
- First Top 2 at cities
- Machamp for being awesome
- My girlfriend for being there for me and trying to make the best out of it as much as she could.
- That pizza places subs
- Ryan for holding 2 pwnsauce events.
- Jacob for winning Seniors in Columbus
- Dragonite plush
- Miami won, again! :3
- Fulop and his two lady friends for being entertaining and helpful when his car died.
- The Duluard's for taking us in on Saturday night so we didn't have to go all the way home and all the way back.

Slops:
- Terrible Migraines
- Ohio Weather
- Unown G (for not being helpful to me or helping my opponents too much)
- Mesprit-hax, turning my powers off since 1986.
- Not remembering my T8 matches really well at all.
- Heather didn't feel good after Dayton was over and that made me a little sad too.
- Her GPS failing (sometimes)
- New England won. X.X

Till next time, ladies and germs, this is Naki, signing off.

Good Job Steve and thank you for coming up to me and explaining your take on that ruling. From what I hear, a couple of people are actually emailing Pop to ask them for a clarification. From what I have read here on the gym, they are pushing not to jump into giving game losses so easily. See you next weekend?

Kim

Great Job! And no prob with crashing here. I hope you guys stayed healthy because Matthew ended up sick Sunday night and eventually at the ER on Monday night/Tuesday morning. All is well now and I hope he didn't give you guys any germs!

Back