Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Deck to teach with

penguinzer0

Im teaching a friend how to play, but she has no clue how. I have a Flygod and a Flariados built but I kinda want something a little more simple. Any ideas on what to throw in or some ideas to get started would help. Thanks.

I know that this may sound corny, but have you considered buying a couple of theme decks? I taught someone how to play with theme decks, and I thought that it worked really well.

I know that this may sound corny, but have you considered buying a couple of theme decks? I taught someone how to play with theme decks, and I thought that it worked really well.

That's not a corny suggestion at all. I've got about 5 theme decks that I bring with me to all league sessions just in case we have that new player that has never touched a card before. Simple strategies, simple builds, theme decks focus on just teaching the basic rules and mechanics. After a new player gets comfortable with the basics, then you can introduce them to more complex concepts.

S.

Theme decks are a perfect way to teach people the game, but are anything but perfect in teaching people how to build decks that don't suck! :(

But yeah, precons are the best. Otherwise, you could go with Queendom. I know it's not legal this format, but it explains pretty much everything: attachment, evolving, powers/bodies, and both suppoter/non-supporter trainers.

Depends upon the theme deck though: a lot of them have powers, special conditions etc. that are just too much, too soon for a completely new player, IMHO.

I'd go with one of the EX Trainer Kits myself, as that has two _half decks_ that are perfect for teaching the 'basics'...basic energy, simple trainers, evolutions, no special conditions. There's a 3-prize double playmat, and 'basic' and 'advanced' rules (for when the two decks are put together to make a 60 card deck after learning the game basics).

It should be easy enough to build something along those lines by looking at the decklists of either EX kit. I've got a Plusle/Minun kit in my league box, but I should build some more decks with my multitude of extra cards...

HTH.
'mom

at my league, me and anthony constructed a few decks to teach a couple of 5 year olds how to play
they ere simple, and the kids had fun learning
and we, of course, had fun teaching them (spirit of the game man :thumb:

Queendom is by far the best deck, and you can find the cards easily because they aren't modified legal anymore.

Another suggestion I'd like to make is when playing with someone to teach, make your deck of equal status. Keep it as simple as the opponent. Once they've got the basics, then tweak the deck with new trainers and some Pokemon with special conditions etc. Having a deck for yourself that has lots of strategy, special conditions, multiple evolutions, lots of stuff going on, against a beginner, is too overwhelming! I know from experience.....my son taught me how to play, and was playing Flariados, Flygon etc....and it just wasn't working. Once he switched to a more basic deck and built one for me the same.....it was so much easier. I've gradually tweaked my deck up to some cards with special conditions, PokePowers/bodies, some different trainer cards, etc. That is the way to play the game.

Kudos to you for wanting to help teach someone to play. Just keep the playing field level. She'll much appreciate and probably enjoy the game more if she wins once in a while too! :thumb:

Ask her what her favorite color is and if she likes blue then make a water deck. Ok then you make a 60 card deck with 20 pokemon 20 energies and 20 trainers. Start off with pokemon with no pokemon powers or bodies and if she is catching on to it then add in the pokemon with the power or body. 20 water energies and no special energies. Again if she understands the concept of the energy rule then add in DRE.boost. etc. Trainers, hmmm id probibly go with 4 different types of trainers, 5 stadiums,5 supporters,5 regular,5 pokemon tools.

Im trying to teach my girlfriend to play pokemon so your in the same story as i am :tongue:

~Ricky~

I think that Lunasol is one of the easiest decks to learn that can have some backbone. Its ok and easy to make.

yes but you should give her the lunasol deck to try out after she picks up the concept of using the pokemon and energies correctly. Without any help

I second the EX Trainer kits if we are talking about some one who has no idea whatsoever about the game.

Last weekend I taught a young person how to play. I really surprised myself how easy it was for them to learn (more than normal) to play when they had a new PK dark deck and I used Flariados. The deck he used taught him how powers affected play, had a stadium, and overall was a decent deck. The different special conditions were easy for him to remember once we were done that game. Of course I took it easy on him, but the Flariados still won of course. However when I watched him play another player - he won the very next match, and knew exactly which conditions did what! I was impressed.

Back